• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

The Call of the Church is NOT Social Issues

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by Saucy, Jul 30, 2018.

1. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+10,977
    Christian
    Married
    I read it before making my response.

Again: Who, in fact, did Paul actually collect money for? It was, specifically, for the congregation in Jerusalem. Who did the church in Jerusalem, in fact, deliver money to? It was to those members who needed it.

Does this mean that Paul never gave a handout to someone on the street? Certainly not.

But it does indicate that neither Paul nor the Church in general set up any programs to assuage poverty in general in the Roman empire. Their only systematic effort for the poor mentioned in scripture was to the poor in the Body of Christ.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  2. Saucy

Saucy Fear is faith in the enemy. Supporter

+15,183
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    This is exactly what I was talking about. This type of dishonesty serves nor favors anyone.

3. 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid Right In the Eye ........... of The Storm! Supporter

+5,171
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    It's true enough that Christians can become way too embroiled and too devoted to supporting certain trends in politics and become distracted away the main focus (or foci) of living the Christian life. And I'm not really suggesting that everyone should just jump into their local political pools and get their hands dirty in doing governmental work and blabbing about agendas that often don't see the light of day, especially as all of this seems to become one big MESS in a supposedly democratic Republic like we have in the U.S.

However, I do differentiate between the politics of a governmental and 'social issues' which essentially are not much more than work oriented being a talking head, on the one hand, and valid issues of social justice in society that should be part and parcel of our Christian lives and a part of our attempts to evangelize the lost and care for our disadvantaged brothers and sisters in Christ. And if we find that as Christians we don't have the resources to help out in the community at large, then we should at the least be actively applying social help (and good deeds) within our immediate and extended families.

As to the interpretation of those verses from 2 Timothy 2 and James 4, I'm going to have to say that I would interpret them both a little differently than you do, RD.

...there's Matthew 23:23, Luke 11:42, and verses like Hebrews 11:8 and 11:33. And all of these passages refer back to the prescribed sense of social justice that the Israelites were to ensure was in place in their society as the people of God, in which case, then, if we're going to understand this sense of social justice, we also have to sift through all of the various references to the justice being referred to that are evident in the entire Old Testament.

Sure. But are all of those roles spelled out in Scripture? I don't think they are. It's given to us in more generic terms by which we are to enter into various occupations as Christians within the societies we have respectively lived in during the last 2,000 years.

4. 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid Right In the Eye ........... of The Storm! Supporter

+5,171
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Of course, we usually can't affect things on a national level, but we should probably still try as best we can to assuage poverty and other social ills for as many people as possible on the local level,and this should be a part of our attempt to fulfill the Great Commission as we evangelize; besides it's also just a matter of "loving our neighbors and maybe even our enemies." That's how I see it, but I understand that not everyone will see eye to eye on this. ....but this is what I mean when I say we should address "social issues."

5. Lik3

Lik3 Newbie

+408
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    Saucy, I agree with everything you have written. I have a rather dumb question. Is what you written an example of the social gospel? I am glad that you have written this also because yes, all of our leaders will be here today, gone tomorrow. It will indeed happen to Trump just like it happened to Obama and to Clinton. I believe wholeheartedly that the church "following" the world and living like the world is partly what is wrong with the church. Could this a reason that we will have a future apostasy instead of a revival?

6. Angeldove97

Angeldove97 In the Lord, my labor is not in vain Supporter

+1,922
    United States
    Traditional. Cath.
    Married
    True repentance comes with good fruit. One of my favorite Christians has this saying: Actions, not words.

7. bcbsr

bcbsr Newbie

+1,912
    Christian
    It is interesting that Jesus spoke very little about politics, and only when he was coerced into it.

8. Phil 1:21

Phil 1:21 Well-Known Member

+4,329
    Christian
    Married
    Israel didn't want to be ruled by God; they wanted a king. Look where it got them. Sadly, it seems a lot in the "Church" (quotes intentional) feel the same way judging by their obsession -- hatred even -- of some politicians.

I can understand why atheists and such would act that way. When one believes this temporal life is all there is, one would be more inclined to be ruled by such things. But for those who claim to follow Christ we are called to always look to the Kingdom and find our hope in Jesus Christ...not some politician.

When those calling themselves Christians behave as you described, we know where their heart truly is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List