The Book of Hebrews

Loveaboveall

Mar 14, 2007
✟8,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since there seems to be a lot of interest in the topic of covenants...

The book of Hebrews is where we find most of what christians use for their doctrine of what the old covenant is and what replaced the old covenant.

The problem with interpreting Hebrews is that it was written for a specific audience who had thorough knowledge of the Jewish economy and ceremonial law.

From wikipedia:

"Traditional scholars have argued the letter's audience was Jewish Christians, as early as the end of the second century (hence its title, "The Epistle to the Hebrews"). However, Hebrews is part of an internal New Testament debate between the extreme "Judaizers" (who argued that non-Jews must convert to Judaism before they can receive the Holy Spirit of Jesus's Jewish covenant) versus the extreme "lawless ones" (who argued that Jews must reject God's commandments and that God's eternal Torah was no longer in effect). Peter and Paul represent the moderates of each faction, respectively. The Epistle emphasizes non-Jewish followers of Jesus do not need to convert to Judaism to share in all of God's promises to Jews. Liberal American theologian Edgar Goodspeed notes, "But the writer's Judaism is not actual and objective, but literary and academic, manifestly gained from the reading of the Septuagint Greek version of the Jewish scriptures, and his polished Greek style would be a strange vehicle for a message to Aramaic-speaking Jews or Christians of Jewish blood."

Wouldn't it stand to reason that it would not be appropriate for a person to try to read and understand without first consulting and gathering at least a working knowledge of the the ceremonial law of the Jews. Not to imply that anyone here has not done this, but it seems as a whole most christians have little knowledge of the Jewish priesthood, sacrificial system, and feasts. Without this knowledge how can anyone try to understand what the writer of hebrews is trying to convey?

It would be like someone trying to understand a book on advanced chemistry without first understanding the concepts of general chemistry.

It seems that too many are readily accepting a popular tradition that the old covenant is the whole old testament or as some people refer to the "old law", when in fact the covenant is not anything but an agreement, It is not law, it is not books of scripture it is an AGREEMENT.

They then take it even farther and use this tradition to then propagate the idea that since the old covenant has "waxed old" that it is no longer needed for instruction or doctrine.

If one would do some study of what the book of Hebrews is about and who it was written to it would become quite evident that the book is about not the whole old testament but, the CEREMONIAL LAW of the jewish economy with its priesthood, sacrifices and offerings, and feast days.

This from Blue letter Bible on a brief synopsis of Hebrews:

"Epistle to Hebrews. St. Paul maintains that Christ is the substance of the ceremonial law."

If the book of Hebrews is about the Ceremonial law then why do we throw out everything else as the "old covenant?"

Just some thoughts to ponder

annie1speed

Mar 16, 2007
Alabama
✟16,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Loveaboveall,

You wrote:

"Epistle to Hebrews. St. Paul maintains that Christ is the substance of the ceremonial law."

If the book of Hebrews is about the Ceremonial law then why do we throw out everything else as the "old covenant?"

That last paragraph is where I believe the disconnect in your logic begins. Your hyperfocus on the ceremonial law is unwarranted.

Questions for you: This is a quiz :D

1. True or False: The ceremonial law pointed to our coming Savior, Jesus?

2. Was Jesus' mission on earth, His purpose, a function of the OLD covenant or the NEW covenant? OLD or NEW

3. True or False: The book of Hebrews is about Jesus and the NEW covenant, and how this is better than the OLD covenant.

4. To make sure I understand what you are referring to in a nutshell - what is the substance of the old covenant.

5. Could the old covenant save you? (Note I did NOT ask could people be saved under the old covenant.)

I'm looking forward to your answers.

Annie

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since there seems to be a lot of interest in the topic of covenants...

The book of Hebrews is where we find most of what christians use for their doctrine of what the old covenant is and what replaced the old covenant.

The problem with interpreting Hebrews is that it was written for a specific audience who had thorough knowledge of the Jewish economy and ceremonial law.

From wikipedia:

"Traditional scholars have argued the letter's audience was Jewish Christians, as early as the end of the second century (hence its title, "The Epistle to the Hebrews"). However, Hebrews is part of an internal New Testament debate between the extreme "Judaizers" (who argued that non-Jews must convert to Judaism before they can receive the Holy Spirit of Jesus's Jewish covenant) versus the extreme "lawless ones" (who argued that Jews must reject God's commandments and that God's eternal Torah was no longer in effect). Peter and Paul represent the moderates of each faction, respectively. The Epistle emphasizes non-Jewish followers of Jesus do not need to convert to Judaism to share in all of God's promises to Jews. Liberal American theologian Edgar Goodspeed notes, "But the writer's Judaism is not actual and objective, but literary and academic, manifestly gained from the reading of the Septuagint Greek version of the Jewish scriptures, and his polished Greek style would be a strange vehicle for a message to Aramaic-speaking Jews or Christians of Jewish blood."

Wouldn't it stand to reason that it would not be appropriate for a person to try to read and understand without first consulting and gathering at least a working knowledge of the the ceremonial law of the Jews. Not to imply that anyone here has not done this, but it seems as a whole most christians have little knowledge of the Jewish priesthood, sacrificial system, and feasts. Without this knowledge how can anyone try to understand what the writer of hebrews is trying to convey?

It would be like someone trying to understand a book on advanced chemistry without first understanding the concepts of general chemistry.

It seems that too many are readily accepting a popular tradition that the old covenant is the whole old testament or as some people refer to the "old law", when in fact the covenant is not anything but an agreement, It is not law, it is not books of scripture it is an AGREEMENT.

They then take it even farther and use this tradition to then propagate the idea that since the old covenant has "waxed old" that it is no longer needed for instruction or doctrine.

If one would do some study of what the book of Hebrews is about and who it was written to it would become quite evident that the book is about not the whole old testament but, the CEREMONIAL LAW of the jewish economy with its priesthood, sacrifices and offerings, and feast days.

Just some thoughts to ponder

The book of Hebrews is an interesting and fascinating study ... even from a non-Jewish perspective.

As for the brief synopsis offered from the Blue letter Bible, I'm going to have to beg to differ. The book covers many more aspects than just presenting Christ as the substance of the O.T. types, copies, shadows, and figures concerning the ceremonial law. In essence, it shows His superiority and that of His covenant/testament/will/law over the law of Moses. It begins with showing Jesus' superiority over the angels, who were involved in giving the old law. Then, continues as it contrasts Jesus with Moses (givers of the new law versus the old law), the rest that Joshua gave versus the rest that Jesus offers, and then introduces and begins to discuss the superiority of Jesus' priesthood to the Levitical system. Later in the book, God encourages us to view the faithful in times past as cheering spectators that encourage us to continue our race through life as we focus on Jesus' footsteps - who ran and successfully completed the race and left us His example to follow.

As for these comments you made ...

... I am one of those who believe that the old covenant (i.e. Hebrews 8:6-13) is a general reference to the whole O.T. agreement that God made with Israel, and includes the idea that the book of that first covenant is no longer law or a basis for doctrine under the gospel of Christ.

Rather than believing in a tradition, I simply trust what Hebrews 8:13 says about the old covenant - "In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away (KJV)."

I do believe there is much to learn from the old covenant and the law it was based upon (i.e. Romans 15:4), but in no way accept or acknowledge it as law or a basis for doctrine today. While it is true that select basic moral principles of the old law were incorporated by Jesus into His law, that is not an endorsement of the whole of the old law. Rather, Jesus established His will after His death upon the cross (Hebrews 9:16-17).

Upvote 0

Loveaboveall

Mar 14, 2007
✟8,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Annie,
It seems you are trying to lay a trap;) . But I will answer all your questions as I believe the bible teaches.:amen:
Loveaboveall,

You wrote:

That last paragraph is where I believe the disconnect in your logic begins. Your hyperfocus on the ceremonial law is unwarranted.
I would appreciate an explanation of this last statement.

True, I will take this one step farther, every doctrine found in the bible should, in some way, point back to Jesus.

2. Was Jesus' mission on earth, His purpose, a function of the OLD covenant or the NEW covenant? OLD or NEW

I will have to answer both, Why was the old covenant added? Galatians 3 is a very good chapter that makes this clear, I believe. The old covenant was only added because of transgressions (vs 19). So the old covenant with its ceremonial laws were given because of transgression so that the people would see how awful sin was and turn from it back to Jesus. And also for them to look forward to the "perfect" sacrifice.

This does not take away from the promise made to Abraham, which when you think about it, is actually the New Covenant! vs 8 makes it clear that Abraham understood the gospel through the promise. What is the gospel? We have salvation through faith in Jesus as our savior, What is the New Covenant? the same thing. So, in reality, the new covenant is the oldest of covenants!

So Jesus came to ratify the new covenant by His perfect life and death, which was required. And, because of transgressions, the old covenant was institued to point people to Jesus, which it would seem logical then that Jesus life and death bore a striking similarity to all of the sacrifices and ceremonies of the old covenant.

3. True or False: The book of Hebrews is about Jesus and the NEW covenant, and how this is better than the OLD covenant.

True, The book of Hebrews outlines why the new covenant is so much better. Remember that the old covenant was only added because of the people's transgressions. And it was only to be a type/shadow of Jesus' actual ministry. Jesus sacrifice was far superior then the sacrifices of animals, and His ministry for us, now, in heaven is far superior then the earthly ministry of the priests.

4. To make sure I understand what you are referring to in a nutshell - what is the substance of the old covenant.

The old covenant consisted of the ceremonial law which was designed, as I mentioned above, to impress in the people the awfulness of sin and the idea that sin had an awfuld consequence, death. It also was to demonstrate to them that God would make a way for their salvation, and to lead them to have faith in God that He would send them a savior a "perfect" sacrifice which He promised to do in Gen 3:15 and Gen 17.

5. Could the old covenant save you? (Note I did NOT ask could people be saved under the old covenant.)

Only faith can save you! The old covenant was designed to teach them the gospel to bring about faith in God that He would send them a savior. In essence, the old covenant was designed to lead peple back to live under the new/oldest covenant of faith. So, if it served its purpose, it would lead to faith which would be unto salvation.

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Loveaboveall,

You wrote:

I'm looking forward to your answers.

Annie

Although your post was directed to Loveaboveall, I can think of one particular text that addresses the substance of the old covenant and the law it was based upon ...

Galatians 3:24 KJV) Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

:amen:

Upvote 0

Loveaboveall

Mar 14, 2007
✟8,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The book of Hebrews is an interesting and fascinating study ... even from a non-Jewish perspective.

As for the brief synopsis offered from the Blue letter Bible, I'm going to have to beg to differ. The book covers many more aspects than just presenting Christ as the substance of the O.T. types, copies, shadows, and figures concerning the ceremonial law. In essence, it shows His superiority and that of His covenant/testament/will/law over the law of Moses. It begins with showing Jesus' superiority over the angels, who were involved in giving the old law. Then, continues as it contrasts Jesus with Moses (givers of the new law versus the old law), the rest that Joshua gave versus the rest that Jesus offers, and then introduces and begins to discuss the superiority of Jesus' priesthood to the Levitical system. Later in the book, God encourages us to view the faithful in times past as cheering spectators that encourage us to continue our race through life as we focus on Jesus' footsteps - who ran and successfully completed the race and left us His example to follow.

As for these comments you made ...

... I am one of those who believe that the old covenant (i.e. Hebrews 8:6-13) is a general reference to the whole O.T. agreement that God made with Israel, and includes the idea that the book of that first covenant is no longer law or a basis for doctrine under the gospel of Christ.

Rather than believing in a tradition, I simply trust what Hebrews 8:13 says about the old covenant - "In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away (KJV)."

I do believe there is much to learn from the old covenant and the law it was based upon (i.e. Romans 15:4), but in no way accept or acknowledge it as law or a basis for doctrine today. While it is true that select basic moral principles of the old law were incorporated by Jesus into His law, that is not an endorsement of the whole of the old law. Rather, Jesus established His will after His death upon the cross (Hebrews 9:16-17).

I may not have been clear in the quotes you highlighted.

I was not intending to say that the old covenant had not been replaced, but the idea that the old covenant includes the whole OT and thus the whole OT replaced is a popular tradition that I find to be false.

I agree with you that there is a much better covenant, I just disagree in what the old covenant was. It was an agreement that the COI would keep everything contained in the "book of the covenant". Now as far as I know the rest of the OT had not been written at that time, and Galatians makes it perfectly clear that once a covenant has been ratfied it cannot be changed.

Gal 3:15 Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though [it be] but a man's covenant, yet [if it be] confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.

Once the covenant was confirmed with blood nothing could be added to the "book" so why do people insist on adding the rest of the OT writings?

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Observation ...

Loveaboveall,

Previously, you wrote:

I practice this part of the O.T. law:

Deut 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Leviticus 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I [am] the LORD.

Is this really the only part of the old law that you practice and are worried about us overlooking? If so, then I'm not sure where you are coming from, because both principles are included in the new covenant.

What I suspect is that there is more involved than just Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18.

Upvote 0

Loveaboveall

Mar 14, 2007
✟8,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Although your post was directed to Loveaboveall, I can think of one particular text that addresses the substance of the old covenant and the law it was based upon ...

Galatians 3:24 KJV) Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

:amen:

In reality, the OT writers make it clear that once they returned to faith in God with a humble heart they were no longer under that schoolmaster either:

Ps 51:16-17 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give [it]: thou delightest not in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God [are] a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Micah 6:6-8 Wherewith shall I come before the LORD, [and] bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old? Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, [or] with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn [for] my transgression, the fruit of my body [for] the sin of my soul? He hath shewed thee, O man, what [is] good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Upvote 0

Loveaboveall

Mar 14, 2007
✟8,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Observation ...

Loveaboveall,

Previously, you wrote:

I practice this part of the O.T. law:

Deut 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Leviticus 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I [am] the LORD.

Is this really the only part of the old law that you practice and are worried about us overlooking? If so, then I'm not sure where you are coming from, because both principles are included in the new covenant.

What I suspect is that there is more involved than just Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18.

What is the new covenant in your opinion?

How do you love God with all your heart, soul and might?

Is it by not doing things that God says nothing about not doing? Or is it worshipping God as God commanded us to worship Him? Is it by coming to Him with a broken and contrite spirit/heart so that he may mold us into what He desires us to be?

It seems to me that too many have been caught up in the NT is silent on this so you can't do this or that. Or, the NT specifically says this so it must be done exactly this way to be like the early church.

With this attitude, one could very easily fall into the trap some of the corinthians fell into:

2 Corinthians 5:12 For we commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to [answer] them which glory in appearance, and not in heart.

How important is it to God for us to come with a heart looking to glorify God instead of a heart to do everything the early church did. I am not saying that the things the early church did are not good, I am speaking of the heart.

If we are not looking to glorify God in everything we do it is just like those vain sacrifices that God abhored.

The difference in the 2 attitudes is the Holy Spirit. Paul tells us their is nothing good in us in Romans 7. It is only by the Spirit that we can do ANYTHING to glorify God. And when the Spirit dwells in us, He will write on our hearts God's law which means that we will joy in the law as David says in Psalm 40. Then we will be living under the New Covenant AND living as the early churched lived and worshipping as the early chruch worshipped, in spirit and truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I may not have been clear in the quotes you highlighted.

I was not intending to say that the old covenant had not been replaced, but the idea that the old covenant includes the whole OT and thus the whole OT replaced is a popular tradition that I find to be false.

I agree with you that there is a much better covenant, I just disagree in what the old covenant was. It was an agreement that the COI would keep everything contained in the "book of the covenant". Now as far as I know the rest of the OT had not been written at that time, and Galatians makes it perfectly clear that once a covenant has been ratfied it cannot be changed.

Gal 3:15 Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though [it be] but a man's covenant, yet [if it be] confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.

Once the covenant was confirmed with blood nothing could be added to the "book" so why do people insist on adding the rest of the OT writings?

Let's consider Galatians 3:15 in its context ...

6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.
9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
15 Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.
16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

The text begins with the gospel (good news) being preached to Abraham. "In thee shall all nations be blessed" included the justification of the "heathen" (Gentiles) in verse 8. Jesus was the "blessing that came through Abraham that would bless "all nations" (i.e. Matt. 1:1, Acts 3:25-26). After discussing how Christ freed us from the law (of Moses), the conversation returns to the Gentiles in verse 14. Verse 15 begins with the way men view a covenant (i.e. contract). Once it is confirmed (witnessed and signed), the terms are set and can't be changed later. What covenant is under consideration at this point? The covenant God made with Abraham in Genesis 12:3 was to bless "all families of the earth." Thus, that covenant was set and couldn't be changed. The point? Note verse 17. The law (referring to the law of Moses) came along 430 years later. Although it was given specifically to the Israelites, it could not "disannul" or make God's promise to Abraham of "none effect." The point? God's promise/covenant with Abraham would still be fulfilled. It was. In Jesus. The law (of Moses) was given for two reasons: because of sin among the descendants of Abraham involved in the promise in Genesis 12:1-3, and to lead the people to Christ (like a schoolmaster). Did it? It did ... for those who had faith like Abraham. Both Jews and Gentiles could be one in Christ today under the gospel of Christ.

As for your last paragraph ...

... the particular covenant under consideration in Gal. 3:15 was the one that God made to Abraham in Gen. 12:3. You seem to have confused it with the one that God made later to the Israelites when He gave the law of Moses (note verse 17 when the discussion shifts to this particular convenant). As for the writings that came after the covenant the Israelite fathers made with God in Exodus, I think it was in the best interests of the Israelites to listen to God, do what He expected, and heed the messages that God gave through the various prophets.

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In reality, the OT writers make it clear that once they returned to faith in God with a humble heart they were no longer under that schoolmaster either:

I'm going to have to disagree with the conclusion you have drawn from the passages below. I believe the Israelites with a humble heart were still under the law of Moses and expected to live and conduct themselves accordingly. I'll explain more below.

Ps 51:16-17 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give [it]: thou delightest not in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God [are] a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Micah 6:6-8 Wherewith shall I come before the LORD, [and] bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old? Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, [or] with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn [for] my transgression, the fruit of my body [for] the sin of my soul? He hath shewed thee, O man, what [is] good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

I think we need to consider the purpose behind sacrifices and burnt offerings. It was God's way to atone (cover) sins under the law of Moses. Therefore, under that law, was it more desirable to keep sinning and keep offering sacrifices to cover those sins, or humble oneself by walking with God - ceasing to sin - which would eliminate the need for the sacrifices for sin?

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is the new covenant in your opinion?

How do you love God with all your heart, soul and might?

Is it by not doing things that God says nothing about not doing? Or is it worshipping God as God commanded us to worship Him? Is it by coming to Him with a broken and contrite spirit/heart so that he may mold us into what He desires us to be?

It seems to me that too many have been caught up in the NT is silent on this so you can't do this or that. Or, the NT specifically says this so it must be done exactly this way to be like the early church.

With this attitude, one could very easily fall into the trap some of the corinthians fell into:

2 Corinthians 5:12 For we commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to [answer] them which glory in appearance, and not in heart.

How important is it to God for us to come with a heart looking to glorify God instead of a heart to do everything the early church did. I am not saying that the things the early church did are not good, I am speaking of the heart.

If we are not looking to glorify God in everything we do it is just like those vain sacrifices that God abhored.

The difference in the 2 attitudes is the Holy Spirit. Paul tells us their is nothing good in us in Romans 7. It is only by the Spirit that we can do ANYTHING to glorify God. And when the Spirit dwells in us, He will write on our hearts God's law which means that we will joy in the law as David says in Psalm 40. Then we will be living under the New Covenant AND living as the early churched lived and worshipping as the early chruch worshipped, in spirit and truth.

Overall, your message reminds me of the church in Ephesus in Revelation 2. They took a stand for truth but had lost their first love. In that light, I can appreciate the admonition you offer and will take it to heart.

I do believe there are circumstances where the "silence" of the Scriptures is presented for our consideration. I do not think those with a good heart and under the Spirit's guidance should be so quick to dismiss passages such as Hebrews 7:14, Leviticus 10:1-2, or 2 Samuel 6:6-7.

Upvote 0

Loveaboveall

Mar 14, 2007
✟8,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In regards to Gal 3:15, my point was not to say that the covenant spoken of was the old covenant. It was to show that ANY covenant once ratified could not be changed, just as today once you die your will cannot be changed by you! I related this principle to the old covenant to show that once it had been confirmed with blood/death, it could not be added to or taken away from, thus how do you add the rest of the old testament to the old covenant?

When the COI were in captivity in Babylon, were they making sin offerings to God? When Daniel prayed his prayer of forgiveness in Dan 9 were the sins of the people forgiven? God wants a broken/contrite heart fully humbled to Him. The COI were saved by faith not animal sacrifices. Those were only given to point the people back to faith. If their had been no transgressions to warrant the old covenant then their would have not been the ceremonial law with its sin offerings! But the people would have still needed a savior and their faith would have saved them by believing in the covenant made with man at the fall in eden and with Abram.

I agree with you that the point was for men to turn from their sin and stop sinning so that no more sin offerings would be needed.( As a side note for FYI, the burnt offerings were never for atonment of sins, they were always a "gift" to God) The priests should have been minsitering to these people by explaining to them what the sin offering meant and how it pointed to a messiah, and he should have then bid them to "go and sin no more" as Jesus did. But, unfortunately the priesthood became corrupt and money was to be found in sacrifices and so the more sacrifices the more money, so the priests would rather the people continue to sin. Reminds me a lot of the CC in the dark ages.

I agree that we must rightly discern the scriptures but I do not believe one can do this without the right heart, because without the H.S. there is no hope for you to have the proper understanding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In regards to Gal 3:15, my point was not to say that the covenant spoken of was the old covenant. It was to show that ANY covenant once ratified could not be changed, just as today once you die your will cannot be changed by you! I related this principle to the old covenant to show that once it had been confirmed with blood/death, it could not be added to or taken away from, thus how do you add the rest of the old testament to the old covenant?

Here's what you said in Post # 7 on Page 1:

It is pretty clear that you were using Gal. 3:15 and applying it to to the wrong covenant. In its context, as previously discussed, Gal. 3:15 was referring to the covenant God made with Abraham when He promised to bless "all families" of the earth. However, you applied the passage erroneously to the law of Moses and then cast doubt upon the later O.T. Scriptures. Now you say, "In regards to Gal 3:15, my point was not to say that the covenant spoken of was the old covenant." However, that is indeed what you said. I don't have a problem if you have reconsidered Gal. 3:15 in its context and have decided you applied the passage inaccurately, but I do have a problem with what you previously said and what you are saying now. They don't match.

Upvote 0

Loveaboveall

Mar 14, 2007
✟8,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's what you said in Post # 7 on Page 1:

It is pretty clear that you were using Gal. 3:15 and applying it to to the wrong covenant. In its context, as previously discussed, Gal. 3:15 was referring to the covenant God made with Abraham when He promised to bless "all families" of the earth. However, you applied the passage erroneously to the law of Moses and then cast doubt upon the later O.T. Scriptures. Now you say, "In regards to Gal 3:15, my point was not to say that the covenant spoken of was the old covenant." However, that is indeed what you said. I don't have a problem if you have reconsidered Gal. 3:15 in its context and have decided you applied the passage inaccurately, but I do have a problem with what you previously said and what you are saying now. They don't match.

DRA, I am sorry that I was not more clear. I was using the principle set forth in Gal 3:15 that when any covenant that is made, it cannot change after it has been confirmed. I realize that Gal 3:15 is speaking of the Abrahamic covenant but, the principle can be used for any covenant. This is why I applied the principle found in Gal 3:15 to the covenant at Sinai.

Do you not agree that the principle can be used as such?

Upvote 0

Loveaboveall

Mar 14, 2007
✟8,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not saying we are under or not under any "books" of the Bible. That is my point! We are under the new covenant which is a covenant of faith without any works on our part for salvation. The "law" that the people were under was sin! They were under the condemnation of death because they had broken God's law which is the definition of sin. We are no longer under the condemnation of sin because we have FAITH in Jesus as our perfect sacrifice.

We are under the Jesus' robe of righteousness. We are not under any condemnation from sin. That is the crux of the covenants. I guess what I have found and am speaking out against, is the idea of the old covenant=the old testament and the new covenant = new testatment. It just isn't so! The whole Bible is for our instruction, it does not mean we are "under" any of it though. The term "under" basically means a slave to. We are no longer a slave to anything, Jesus freed us from our debt to sin and this freedom cannot be taken away so that we are "under" a "new" law. If this was so we would be under the condemnation of this "new" law and we would be in the same place as those who were under the "old" law!

Upvote 0