• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

The Book of Enoch

Discussion in 'Messianic Judaism' started by HARK!, Jan 24, 2021.

1. HARK!

HARK! Well-Known Member Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+3,226
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Zacharey Bauer presents a series on the Book of Enoch. This is part 1. I'll be providing a review of the entire series.

Matthew Maurey discovered ocean currents; but what prompted him to search was Psalms 8:8.

This fact is used by some to demonstrate inspiration of the Bible.

The Book of Enoch similarly presents an example of inspiration.

Enoch 3:1

Observe and see how (in the winter) all the trees seem as though they had withered and shed all their leaves, except fourteen trees, which do not lose their foliage but retain the old foliage from two to three years till the new comes.

Science today confirms this.

Evergreen families
    Family name Example
    Araucariaceae Kauri
    Cupressaceae Sequoia
    Pinaceae Pine
    Podocarpaceae Real yellowwood
    Taxaceae Yew
    Cyatheaceae Australian tree fern
    Aquifoliaceae Holly
    Fagaceae Live oak
    Oleaceae Shamel ash
    Myrtaceae Eucalyptus
    Arecaceae Coconut
    Lauraceae Bay
    Magnoliaceae Southern magnolia
    Cycadaceae Queen sago

Evergreen - Wikipedia

Enoch is the most quoted, or eluded to, book in the Bible; but it's not in the Bible. Enoch is quoted, or eluded to in the B'rit Chadasha over 100 times.

Psalms is quoted 68 times in the Bible.

So what is the objection to this book. It is purported that it is because it speaks heavily of the Angels who sinned.

(CLV) Ju 1:6
    Besides, messengers who keep not their own sovereignty, but leave their own habitation, He has kept in imperceptible bonds under gloom for the judging of the great day.

(CLV) 2Pt 2:4
    For if God spares not sinning messengers, but thrusting them into the gloomy caverns of Tartarus, gives them up to be kept for chastening judging;

Who's offspring were giants.

(CLV) Am 2:9
    Yet I exterminated the Amorite before you, Whose loftiness was like the loftiness of the cedars, And safeguarded was he as the oaks. I exterminated his fruit from above, And his roots from beneath.

This is the introduction to this series:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+4,828
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Interesting that I just spent the entire day reading it. Sounds like Revelation and even the whole Jesus saga came from this book, the writings so similar.

3. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,682
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    The explanations that I have read concluded that the original book of Enoch has been lost. The book known as Enoch now is relatively recent and just has the title. It is not "God-breathed" and therefore not scripture.

4. HARK!

+3,226
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Revelation seems to quote directly from the Book of Enoch; and as we get into this series; we will see that it speaks of Messiah. It is purported that is why the Pharisees and Sadducees rejected it. However, it was not rejected a Qumran, of there is strong evidence to that is where the true Priesthood tool their writings, as they were ousted from the Temple. The evidence does not support the myth that Qumran was inhabited by Essenes.

5. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,707
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
  6. HARK!

+3,226
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    The oldest manuscripts that we have of Enoch, are no younger than the rest of scripture. Our oldest copies, of all of the TaNaK, were found at Qumran. This point is covered later in this series.

7. timothyu

+4,828
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Is not the claim this book was written approx. 200 BC? It was among the Dead Sea Scrolls. Christianity used it the first 300 years until the 'official' canon. The Ethiopian church still uses it

8. HARK!

+3,226
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    It looks like you have done some research on this subject. So have I. This should make for good conversation.

I glanced at the thread that you presented; and I saw a video about Essenes at Qumran.

This is a widespread myth.

Rachel Elior presents a very interesting dissertation on this subject.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. HARK!

+3,226
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    That fallacious claim is made because those were the oldest copies, (I'll say it again) copies that we have found. The same could be falsely claimed for the rest of the TaNaK.

10. timothyu

+4,828
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Even at 200 yrs prior to Jesus and 300 Revelation, that still makes it rather remarkable.

11. HARK!

+3,226
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Indeed. Add the fact that Yahshua referenced it; and it should not be ignored.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. HARK!

+3,226
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Some more valuable research regarding who lived at Qumran:

13. Aussie Pete

+5,682
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    So how can the book be written by Enoch, who predates the flood? As I said, the consensus view (not always correct, I know) is that the current book of Enoch is not the original. So the Bible quotes refer to a book that no longer exists.

14. Aussie Pete

+5,682
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Ultimately, I don't see a need for the book of Enoch. I've not read much of it. What I have read does nothing for me.

15. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+3,805
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others

The book of Enoch is not in harmony with the rest of Scripture. Here are some examples:

a. The story of angels having sex with women contradicts Jesus’ saying in Matthew 22:30: “For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God in heaven” (Mat 22:30 NKJV). This means angels are not sexual beings.

b. Eighteen of these angels are listed by name in Enoch 6:3, 8; their leader is Semyaz. Not one of these names appears in the Bible. The giants they produce were 450 feet tall (Enoch 7:2). “These [giants] consumed the produce of all the people until the people detested feeding them. So the giants turned against [the people] in order to eat them” (7:3, 4). This is rather fanciful and against Scripture.

c. In Enoch 10:4, 5, “The Lord said to Raphael [a good angel] ‘Bind Azaz’el [an evil angel] hand and foot [and] throw him into the darkness!’ And he made a hole in the desert which was in Duda’el and cast him there; he threw on top of him rugged and sharp rocks.” According to Enoch, you can bind angels by throwing them into a hole in the desert.

d. In chapter 13, Enoch intercedes for Azaz’el.

16. steve78

steve78 Newbie

+121
    Salvation Army
    Married
    It may not be scripture but the book contains one of the earliest recorded examples of Alien Abduction and recorded evidence of Alien activity on Earth at that time. Its an interesting read and provides a whole new slant on why god sent the flood. The Nephalim Aliens distorted the purity of Adam's DNA. I guess God wanted his created humans pure.

17. steve78

steve78 Newbie

+121
    Salvation Army
    Married
    The beings in the book of Enoch are not Angels. They were space Aliens. God wiped them out in the flood.

18. GedaliahMaegil

GedaliahMaegil Messianic Ger Toshav

+122
    United States
    Messianic
    Private
    US-Others
    The Jews never accepted the book of Enoch into the canon of Tanakh nor into the Septuagint. That, in itself, is telling.

19. GedaliahMaegil

GedaliahMaegil Messianic Ger Toshav

+122
    United States
    Messianic
    Private
    US-Others

20. steve78

steve78 Newbie

+121
    Salvation Army
    Married
    Well that depends on how you define Angels. In the bible its clear there are two types, supernatural types like the one who appeared to Mary and ones who appear to need technology to get around.