Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Supposedly written by Noah's great grandfather. I've been hearing a lot about it. While not canonical, I understand there is a lot of interest in it. I plan on reading it out of curiosity. Any thoughts on this book from more traditional pov & traditions?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A number of church fathers also considered it canon.
Interesting. I knew about the Ethiopian Orthodox but I did not know some Church Fathers considered it canon as well. Anybody know where I can get couple of hard copies?

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Interesting. I knew about the Ethiopian Orthodox but I did not know some Church Fathers considered it canon as well. Anybody know where I can get couple of hard copies?

Definitely try Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Books a Million etc.

However be wary of who is doing the translations, and the sources that they are using.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Supposedly written by Noah's great grandfather. I've been hearing a lot about it. While not canonical, I understand there is a lot of interest in it. I plan on reading it out of curiosity. Any thoughts on this book from more traditional pov & traditions?

My perspective on this book is heavily tainted because my ex-wife's mother was a certifiably crazy conspiracy theorist who used Enoch as the bedrock for many of her inane ideas. So... I'm not a fan.

Fortunately I'm comfortable with the vast majority of churches deeming it "apocryphal/noncanonical" and thus disqualifying it as a reliable source for any sort of doctrinal purpose. I understand there's a safe and proper way to go about reading it, and I know anybody here in TT would do so. I just have a bad taste in my mouth, sadly, from that book.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Definitely try Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Books a Million etc.

However be wary of who is doing the translations, and the sources that they are using.
Can you give me an example?

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Can you give me an example?

There are probably translations out there that serve a Futurists agenda, so I would be wary of that. If there are any translations out there done by members of the Catholic or Orthodox faith, I would certainly trust those.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are probably translations out there that serve a Futurists agenda, so I would be wary of that. If there are any translations out there done by members of the Catholic or Orthodox faith, I would certainly trust those.
Good advise.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I read the Book of Enoch. Most of it.
It is one of the books that is actually quoted by the Bible.
JUDE 1:14 Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men: "See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones ...

I double checked. The quoted part is in Enoch.
Fascinating read. It describes many heavenly secrets, the Watchers and so forth.

Should we read the book?

We should only read it as an accurate description of what is written.
HOWEVER, Enoch is not inspired by God. Meaning it would not lead you to salvation and edification.
It is however an accurate explanations of many of the mysteries ... otherwise the Bible would not have quoted from it.

... in my opinion.

Thanks, :)
Ed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read the Book of Enoch. Most of it.
It is one of the books that is actually quoted by the Bible.
JUDE 1:14 Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men: "See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones ...

I double checked. The quoted part is in Enoch.
Fascinating read. It describes many heavenly secrets, the Watchers and so forth.

Should we read the book?

We should only read it as an accurate description of what is written.
HOWEVER, Enoch is not inspired by God. Meaning it would not lead you to salvation and edification.
It is however an accurate explanations of many of the mysteries ... otherwise the Bible would not have quoted from it.

... in my opinion.

Thanks, :)
Ed
I want to read it out of curiosity. That is about it. But I do not want to read it online. I want a reliable hard copy.

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I want to read it out of curiosity. That is about it. But I do not want to read it online. I want a reliable hard copy.

Christians read Enoch for centuries. It's like reading a Christian book.
However, it is so mind-boggling you would think you read science fiction ... but it is true. :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christians read Enoch for centuries. It's like reading a Christian book.
However, it is so mind-boggling you would think you read science fiction ... but it is true. :)
Hey, I could go for that. :)

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It was also included in the canon of the Armenian Orhtodox Church for a time and shows up on lists of the books of the Bible as late as the 12th and 13th centuries.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟220,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pure fiction, end to end, and by modern standards not very good fiction at that.

Upvote 0