• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Book of Enoch

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Stryder06, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Lion King

Lion King Veni, vidi, vici

+510
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    Can you tell us when men started worshipping other gods?

2. Stryder06

Stryder06 Check the signature

+452
    SDA
    Married
    The way the book of Enoch is written sounds as if it were written from the perspective of someone who's already read the scripture, and not someone who was first to prophesy

3. Stryder06

+452
    SDA
    Married
    After the flood.

4. WisdomTree

WisdomTree Philosopher

+118
    Catholic
    Single
    I thought it was after Cain separated himself from God? :confused:

5. Lion King

+510
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    any Scriptural evidence?

6. Stryder06

+452
    SDA
    Married
    What idols would those be?

God of god's is referring to Him as the one true God over every false god.

Where does scripture say this?

Israel isn't a secret name of the Son of Man. Gen 32:38 - And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.

That said, Enoch says "Son of Man" while Daniel says "One like the Son of man", and yes there is a difference.

I'm sorry but this doesn't make any sense to me. :confused:

7. Stryder06

+452
    SDA
    Married
    Do you have any that says there was idol worship before hand? I don't see any. So yeah, I'm not going to play that game with you again. You like to ask questions, but don't like to answer any.

8. yeshuasavedme

yeshuasavedme Senior Veteran

+575
    Christian
    Married
    Nope, all that was written about Christ who was to come was written there before Christ came in flesh, and when Christ came in flesh, the Book of Enoch was being read by students of God's Word.

Jude quoted from Enoch the prophet's prophesy of the coming of the LORD who is yet to come, in the opening section:

9. Stryder06

+452
    SDA
    Married
    To my knowledge there isn't any mention of idol worship before the flood. Of course if I'm wrong I'd be fine admitting that. Does the scripture say otherwise?

10. Lion King

+510
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    So, we are all supposed to go along with you on anything you say just because you said so?

11. Stryder06

+452
    SDA
    Married
    Jude quoted Enoch. This does not mean that he quoted from "The Book of Enoch". Ever consider that what Enoch actually wrote was lost, and this book is a fabrication?

12. Lion King

+510
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    There wasn't any mention of adultery or theft either before the flood, does it mean it didn't happen?

13. Stryder06

+452
    SDA
    Married
    I don't recall saying that. Not even sure how you came to that conclusion. The OP asks a question, you know, the one you still haven't answered.

14. Tzaousios

Tzaousios Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός

+469
    Christian
    Married
    Lion King, be careful, you are stretching the limits of the literalist hermeneutic. If you become open to accepting the fallacy of arguing from silence, one could ask you what other things happened that aren't mentioned as well. :D

15. Stryder06

+452
    SDA
    Married
    I'm sure it did.

16. Lion King

+510
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    Duly noted.

17. PaladinValer

PaladinValer Traditional Orthodox Anglican

+1,106
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Others
    It was. An individual's opinion doesn't negate that of the group.

I'd love to see proof of this. Otherwise, I expect a retraction.

18. yeshuasavedme

+575
    Christian
    Married
    I read that on a Roman Catholic apologetics website a few years ago, and I will find the source -when I have time; meantime, you may see for yourself the history of the power of politics in this matter of canon by doing a simple search:

Before the Archbishop of Canterbury of the time of the KJV 1611 Bible, the preface to the Geneva Bible stated this:

19. WisdomTree

WisdomTree Philosopher

+118
    Catholic
    Single
    Interesting article. I assumed that the Zwinglian faction and later the Calvinist faction didn't completely agree with Luther in terms of the Biblical canon.

Another interesting thing to note is that Luther didn't think highly of the book of Esther, and what makes this interesting is that the book of Esther as well as couple of other books of the Old Testament, almost didn't make it to the Jewish biblical canon possibly during the so-called Council of Jamnia, 90AD.

20. yeshuasavedme

+575
    Christian
    Married
    You never address the fact that Enoch was in circulation and read and studied by those who wanted to study the prophets when the LORD Jesus walked the earth in His New Creation human being body. His womb brother, Jude, said" Enoch the prophet, the seventh from Adam" wrote, ....and Jude wrote from what he read in the book of Enoch, itself.

The Book of Enoch which was in circulation and read, as history proves.
    Even portions of many different copies of the Book of Enoch discovered in the Qumran caves date to the 4th century BC, and that was only the dating of the materials used to copy the ancient Book of Enoch, which has been saved through time as much as any Book of the Bible, because we do not have one single copy of a book of the Bible dating to as early as those Enoch copies, other than one pretty complete copy of Isaiah discovered in the Qumran caves which the Enoch manuscript copies actually date older than!