• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured The Billy Graham Rule Goes to Court

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by redleghunter, Aug 25, 2019.

1. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+10,976
    Christian
    Married
    It would not have been a sin for Torres to have gone on training duty with a woman.

Torres sacrificed for himself. Unless he was sacked for preaching the gospel or for refusing to recant the gospel, wasn't sacrificing for Christ.

2. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+104,749
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    It appears you perhaps misunderstood my post.

No worries, brother.

3. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+2,022
    Anglican
    Married
    The only reason a Billy Graham Rule is needed is if a man has problems with his character, values, judgment, self-control, or has had some past problem with his behavior.

As I said before I have worked my entire career in a predominately female occupation. Look at pictures of any graduating class of social workers and count the number of males. As a result, I have worked with some bright and talented women. I admit there have been some I found personally and physically quite attractive. But so what?

Why did I never stray? Here's a bunch of reasons...
    • I'm a Christian, and Christian values are pretty clear about sexual behavior.
    • I can honor my values by my own intention without having a buffer present to ensure I don't slip up.
    • I'm married. I made a promise to my wife standing at an altar decades ago. That means something to me.
    • I keep my word.
    • Breaking my vow would hurt a bunch of people I care about, most importantly my wife. Why would I do that?
    • It would be wrong to exploit some attractive person I encountered for my own gratification.
    As a psychotherapist, I spend hours alone behind a closed door having very non-sexual but none-the-less intimate conversations with women. Women are the largest consumers of outpatient therapy. I could not practice my profession if I depended upon the Billy Graham rule to protect my clients from me or me from them.

Over my career, I have had both a colleague and a client try to engage me in an inappropriate relationship. I rebuffed both. I am protected by my own ethics. That is all I need.

4. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+29,540
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yes I would say "the jury is still out" on that one.

5. redleghunter

+29,540
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That was not the case with Graham so why would you conclude such?

6. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+2,022
    Anglican
    Married
    If a man is firm in his own convictions, he has no need for such a rule.

7. Yarddog

Yarddog Senior Contributor Supporter

+2,555
    Catholic
    Married
    That is true. Ministers of God are held to a higher standard and should try to stay out of situations which may give the appearance to the laity that something inappropriate is taking place.

8. LaBèlla

LaBèlla ❤️ Supporter

+4,825
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Exactly. I co-led an Alpha group full of men with a Christian brother. There were no issues of impropriety or need to put any rule in place. I have self-control. I don’t need to micromanage my life or others to accommodate my behavior.

9. brinny

+104,749
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    What has this got to do with the OP?

:scratch:

10. JohnAshton

JohnAshton Well-Known Member

+448
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Live the covenant quietly and none will know.

11. redleghunter

+29,540
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Was the above a response to me? If so, then we would judge convictions based on what is inside another person's head. Did you consider that Graham was thinking of neighbor too? What would be worse for a woman who was allegedly alone with him and another woman starts rumors of an intimate relationship?

Someone may have all the convictions lined up in their head, but that does not pan out when you add others to the equation.

12. brinny

+104,749
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    This.

13. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,331
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I live by Job's rule so the BG rule might serve as a safety net. But to day, in the eyes of the world Billy would need to stay away from George Beverly Shea.....too.....

“I made a covenant with mine eyes; Why then should I think upon a maid?” Job 31:1 (KJV 1900)

14. brinny

+104,749
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    i agree with this part of your post, although you lost me on the George Beverly Shea comment.

15. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,331
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Today seeing two guys together is like seeing an unmarried man and a woman together in Billy's day.

16. brinny

+104,749
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    :scratch:

17. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,000
    Christian
    Single
    Punishment for violation of the "Don't rock the don't rock the boat" "rule". Some cops play so dirty...leaving others lives at risk just to make a point they had no business making to begin with

And good for the cop hope he wins. Seems to me they'd a simply honored his request, it's not like that's going to start some kind of fad...I'd guess most cops would be quite happy to be in an alone with a woman situation. Common sense did not prevail here.

18. pescador

pescador Newbie Supporter

+1,191
    Christian
    Married
    "Certain females when a man is left alone with, will cause him to be tempted." There is no basis for this, biblical or otherwise. Satan causes temptation, not "certain females".

19. pescador

pescador Newbie Supporter

+1,191
    Christian
    Married
    It is not his role to set policy. He must abide by the conditions of his employment. If he is told to train another person as part of his job, he must do it or suffer the consequences for his disobedience.

20. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+12,587
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    I'm still stuck on this. No job I've been in could have handled it without any problem. Maybe a small minority could (being out on an oil rig or something?) but most of us have to interact with a diversity of other people every day, sometimes alone, and manage it just fine.

Right. So I'm not going to visit a brothel. Meeting someone in the course of my work is not giving the appearance of something inappropriate. Sheesh.