Feb 11, 2002
GA
Visit site
✟18,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I have a friend who pointed me to this article http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...1309990017&cid

It's the study that said that the universe inflated in less than a trillionth of a second. My friend then demands to know how all that mass could have travelled faster than light. My non-scientific hunch is that the travelling must occur relative to light, and since light was actually a part of the expanding universe and hence was moving at its own relative speed within the universe, there is no problem. Should I stay out of physics? Or should my friend? Or both?

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
I have a physics noob question.

Would this sudden expansion of spacetime also increase the wavelength of energy present in the early universe? Or, did the energy act as a particle so that the wavelength did not increase but distance between quanta increases.

And finally, how does this relate to the temperature of the CMB? Is the low temp of the CMB related to loss of energy over time or the expansion of spacetime.

Upvote 0

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Loudmouth said:
I have a physics noob question.

Would this sudden expansion of spacetime also increase the wavelength of energy present in the early universe? Or, did the energy act as a particle so that the wavelength did not increase but distance between quanta increases.

And finally, how does this relate to the temperature of the CMB? Is the low temp of the CMB related to loss of energy over time or the expansion of spacetime.

Well, as space expands, the speed of light approaching us seems to slow. The formula v=lambda (f) describes light, where lambda is the wavelength and f is the frequency and v is the velocity. f stays the same, v slows down, therefore lamda goes up (aka we see a redshift!)

Temperature of course is related to Pressure and volume. The more volume and less pressure, the colder the universe will be.

Upvote 0