Student at William Jewell
Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
✟16,028.00
Faith
Christian
Dear Daily Message Readers,

READ: Revelation 2:1-7

Revelation 2:5 (NASB) "'Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place--unless you repent. "

Though college offers a diverse group of students from different locations, backgrounds, and spiritual situations, there is one thing that usually remains constant in the life of a new student: The Freshman 15. What is the Freshman 15? That is what we college students call the 15 pounds most of us gain our first year in college. The reasons so many freshmen gain weight are obvious. Not only is it their first time away from home, but they have an all-you-can-eat relationship with the college cafeteria. From salad bars to ice-cream machines and fast-food restaurants to late-night snacks, college campuses have all the necessary elements for weight gain.

So how does the average college student take strides to take off the weight after they have gained it? It has been my experience that most people will look for ways to monitor their habits on a daily basis. On top of that, the student will usually add a regular exercise routine and eat lots less—especially between meals. These are just some ways the student can cut the weight they gained from the college community.

As Christians, we take some spiritual applications from this collegiate experience. You see, it is too easy to add some unnecessary “weight” as we grow in our faith. Whether we have an overabundance of spiritual truths (such as from this devotion or a spoken message) in our blood that we fail to share with others, or if it simply the weight of sin in our lives, each of us has gained some weight here and there. And, like the college freshman who must remember to eat healthy like mom and dad taught them to as children, we must "remember from where [we] have fallen, and repent and do the deeds [we] did at first" in our Christian lives (Revelation 2:5). In other words, to lose our spiritual "weight," we must take the steps to repent and start anew with the Lord just like we did when we became His children.

Ask the Lord today to reveal the areas in your life where you need to repent the most.

Faith Lesson: "I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the LORD'; and You forgave the guilt of my sin."--Psalm 32:5

In Christ,
Darin Smith