England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
*Please note - this is not a debate on abortion,it is a statement of fact from scripture presented in the fundamentalist forum*

The scripture:

Leviticus 20:1-2
''And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever he be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth any of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones.''

So God says to his people whoever takes the life of their own seed/child should be put to death.

Also intentional unborn child killing is to be punished with the death penalty:

Exodus 21:22-23
22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.
23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,

So modern day abortion would be punishable by death in the Bible. Just wanted to put that out there.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let us consume the whole book, shall we?

"Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people."

The bible states that anyone who does any work from sun down Friday to sun down on Saturday should, likewise, be put to death.

Do you feel the same for those who work on Saturday or friday evenings , after 430, in the winters, that you feel about those who abort?

If not, literal reading of OT scripture may not the best way to shame those who may have decided to end the life of their child to save their own.....as if their grief may not be strong enough as it is.

• Useful
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

packermann

Nov 30, 2003
Northwest Suburbs of Chicago, IL
✟37,982.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
*Please note - this is not a debate on abortion,it is a statement of fact from scripture presented in the fundamentalist forum*

The scripture:

Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever he be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth any of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones.''

As a Catholic, I am completely devoted to the pro-life cause. But I have to admit that there is no scripture verse against abortion. I do not think there needs to be. The Bible says "Thou shalt not kill". That is enough. The unborn child is human life, and we are not to kill human life. Period.

The above verse only refers to the "seed". That could easily be seed after birth. Israel was sacrificing their children to Moloch. Genesis 3:15 refers to the "seed" crushing the serpent's head. Obviously, it is referring to Jesus after He was born.
22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.

This verse does not say what the mischief is. Is it the death of the unborn child, the death of the mother, or both?

So modern day abortion would be punishable by death in the Bible. Just wanted to put that out there.

I would urge caution of using this approach. It could cause unstable people to bomb abortion clinics. This would ruin the reputation of the pro-life movement. It would make us seem to be hypocrites - calling ourselves pro-life but encouraging the killing of those who work in abortion clinics.

Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
As a Catholic, I am completely devoted to the pro-life cause. But I have to admit that there is no scripture verse against abortion. I do not think there needs to be. The Bible says "Thou shalt not kill". That is enough. The unborn child is human life, and we are not to kill human life. Period.

The above verse only refers to the "seed". That could easily be seed after birth. Israel was sacrificing their children to Moloch. Genesis 3:15 refers to the "seed" crushing the serpent's head. Obviously, it is referring to Jesus after He was born.

This verse does not say what the mischief is. Is it the death of the unborn child, the death of the mother, or both?

I would urge caution of using this approach. It could cause unstable people to bomb abortion clinics. This would ruin the reputation of the pro-life movement. It would make us seem to be hypocrites - calling ourselves pro-life but encouraging the killing of those who work in abortion clinics.

We are not allowed to debate this here so I will simply say I think you have misinterpreted the scripture and I reject your alternative unbiblical approach.

Thanks for the reply though.

• Agree
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
We can't change mistakes or bad decisions we have made in the past. The guilt is what brings us to God and God forgives everything brought to Him with genuine repentance. God will forgive those who have had an abortion. However, it isn't an attitude that means a person can have multiple abortions and just assume forgiveness over and over. Every baby is precious to God as well as the woman who He gifted that life to.

If you have had an abortion in the past, take the guilt to God and accept his genuine love and forgiveness. You will be able to meet your child someday and that child will simply love you with a God love. I do not believe that abortion is an "old law" issue but rather a current issue that we are tied to. However, so is gossip and over indulgence and greed, all sins most people deal with on a daily basis. Once forgiven, your past sins are washed clean and you should not wear them as a label that stains the rest of your life. To do so, means you doubt the ability of God to be God.

I will pray for you. Don't let others put condemnation on you that God has washed you clean. God is the only one you need to focus on making happy.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The scripture:
So God says to his people whoever takes the life of their own seed/child should be put to death.
What is the biblical penalty for murder in the NT?
The civil authorities will deliver the punishments they see fit.
At the final judgement though, God will deliver the final retribution.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian

It would be punishable by death under the law of Moses. Under the law of Christ, gossip is "worthy of death," according to Paul.

But those who repent can be forgiven.

Reactions: Sesame Seed
Upvote 0

Nevada Smith

Sep 20, 2020
Paxton
✟14,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The scripture:

I am not debating you, but simply correcting your errors.
"that giveth any of his seed unto Molech" Referring to living children that were sacrificed to Moloch, also spelled Molech, a Canaanite deity associated in biblical sources with the practice of child sacrifice. This had nothing to do with the unborn.
Moloch | Definition & Facts
I don't understand why think they could sarafice an unborn child without sacrificing the mother.

Most of the women that are getting abortions are unmarried, so there are no husbands to lay upon the abortion doctors.

Upvote 0

SkovandOfMitzae

Apr 17, 2022
Southeastern USA
✟8,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
The Tanakh contains 611 laws of do or do not. There are two extra laws that are statements. 611 is the same numerical value of the Torah in Hebrew according to their gematria value system. The Tanakh, including the Torah, is not a legal codex. It’s a story thst contains some of their legal codex. That’s the first thing to realize. 611 laws were intentionally included to link to the Torah. They had other laws and stipulations. Just like with any sentencing it’s not mandatory to go with the maximum sentence.

we simply don’t see any laws that prohibit a woman from having an abortion in the Tanakh. We even see some tests that would potentially cause an abortion to happen such as the adulterous test.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkovandOfMitzae

Apr 17, 2022
Southeastern USA
✟8,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Fundamentalism within the typical way it’s used within christiandom refers to a specific type of movement , such as YEC, eternal conscious torment, purity movement, infallible word and so on.

if you’re use of the word differently you’ll have to expand on it first.

Upvote 0

Sesame Seed

Nov 26, 2022
Coventry
Visit site
✟12,888.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away. "he written his law in our hearts and mind" gettin rid of baby because it is dead or the parent is goin to die and then the baby anyway. Is far different from not being able to close your legs, havin sex with a strangers etc and having abortions's because you cba with the babys.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟212,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I heard from a pro-abortion party YouTube video that ‘pay’ meant pay money. They said if there’s the miscarriage, the offender has to pay money. But if the woman’s hurt, then the penalty must be ‘eye for an eye.’ That is, they argued, if it was truly ‘eye for an eye’ & the baby's life was equal to the offender's, the penalty for the miscarriage would be death to the offender.

I’m not completely sure if the pro-abortion party argument is sound, tho, b/c there’s definitely still a penalty for the offender for the miscarriage.

Also, the particular translation in the OP says 'birth prematurely.' 'Birth prematurely' is very different from 'miscarriage.'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sesame Seed

Nov 26, 2022
Coventry
Visit site
✟12,888.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Alot of women in the UK have babies before marriage, it's a serious sin in my eyes many child's life's have been ruined this way and because if the bible call its a sin it is a sin.

Women have alot to answer for these days the way they treat babies as if they were there property, to do as they please with.

But ultimately they can take it up with God we will prey they realise it is a sin.

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I suggest you get the beam out of your eye before you try to remove the speck in women's eyes. There are some important reasons for abortion. What if the mother's life is in danger, she has a serious medical problem and the baby will not come out right, there will be painful complications, the doctor with his knowledge says an abortion is best, the bay will die soon after coming out of the womb, he/she will be a severely deformed water head baby, the baby will be severely handicap, deformed, disabled, messed up. Why should she go through an extremely painful birth process and put herself at risk for bleeding to death, just s a baby who will die a few minutes outside the womb and come out and take a few breaths of air then deteriate, and crumble into death, can come out of the womb?

What if a 12-year old girl is raped by her uncle or worse, her father and she becomes pregnant and needs an abortion, beccause giving birth will hurt and injure her young, childish body that is not fully developed, she is still going through puberty and her body is not developed enough for her to give birth safely, the poor girl could die from giving birth too. I suppose she could get a C-section.

Do you know the story abort Jesus and the woman caught in adultery? Jesus said whoever has never sinned before may cast the first stone. The people wanting to stone the adulteress, realized that they were sinners too. They had no right to throw stones. Jesus forgave her, and her told her to go and sin know more.

If a woman is attacked, raped and impregnated against her will, and she has no desire to give birth, keep the baby or give it up for adoption, perhaps she should be able to get an abortion. Frankly I am sick of all this political nonsense over abortion. There are more important things, like taking care of live babies and children, helping the working poor find decent housing with rent prices they can afford.

People need to stop having sex outside of marriage. That is the sin at the root of the subject. The Bible says nothing about abortion. In Bible times, if a man 'spilled his seed' it was considered a sin. I think any form of birth control, in Bible times, was considered a sin. It is not, wise people use birth control, If a woman had an unwanted pregnancy usually she would have the baby and then abandon him/her in the wilderness. Abandoning a live baby these days in the USA is a crime.

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Let me explain. I do not like abortion. I just think there are exceptions to the rule. Fanatics who want the death penalty for women who have abortions and doctors who perform them, they prove that we do not need to bring about a "Christian' taliban. God gives people free will. A lot of the 608 commandments are very petty. Some of them are cruel. Women had no rights in Israel in Bible times. Men did not have rights, no one had rights, I would never want to live back then! People will only want to worship God when they see him as a God of love.

Men have no right to say anything about abortion. They will never have to go through such a painful decision. I don't know if you men are aware of this, but giving birth is very painful! You have no right to force a woman to go through this excruciating physically, mentally, emotionally exhausting painful and stressful process when they may not even want the baby at all. If she is raped, it is not her fault she is pregnant. Why are men not punished for comimting sexual sins and violations in the old testament. Through out most of human history only women have been punished for sexual sin. Men could have as many wives and concubines as they want, but a woman could have only one husband, if she wanted to get married again she would have to wait for her first husband to die. Men often cheated on their wives during the Christian middle ages. The only way a man would be punished was if he sinned with another man's wife. But if a man cheated on his own wife with a single woman, no one cared.

Here's another thing, rape victims need to forgive their rapist, they need to get rid of the hate and pain, thy need to find God's love so they can forgive. Other wise hatred bitterness, anger, pain suffering, depression will eat them up inside. Everybody needs love. Even who have abortion and it is their fault, they need to repent and find forgiveness. Jesus Christ forgave His torturers while He was dying on the cross. So you baptists need to forgive a woman who has had an abortion.

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, I am very glad we don't! We live in the days of grace, the freedom and mercy our Lord Jesus Christ gave us from dying on the cross and rising again. I have sympathy for women wanting an abortion. They need Christ's love, and so does the unborn baby. When a woman repents of having an abortion, she should be forgiven and welcome back into the church like any other sinner.

Upvote 0