The Bible's Laws on Divorce and Remarriage.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also, does the man who beats his wife half to death and threatens to kill her on a daily basis the type of Israel that Jesus spoke to?
Such a thing was unheardof in ancient Jewish society.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Restraining orders are violated frequently. I was speaking of extreme and deadly circumstances. Many under this kind of deadly threat where the spouse is bound and determined to kill the hunted one and/or their children and has already attempted to, has broken into where the hunted spouse and children are living (even in safe shelters), and has a repeated pattern of this. Many have had to change their names, and go into hiding which is akin to witness protection. In those extreme circumstances, divorce is necessary as an added means of protection. Yes, it's that bad.

No one who is forced to flee and hide from this horror is "sinning" in divorcing.

I don't have all the answers. But would we do the same thing if we were being persecuted for the cause of preaching the gospel in another country? Violence can happen upon us. We can be hurt and killed for preaching the gospel. Would not her stand on Christ's words be a form of persecution in trusting the words of Jesus instead of her own desire to live life? Is it honest to hide and lie who we are? Do we hide a candle under a bed? Or do we let the light shine for all the world to see? Surely, I would not want to put any children in any harms way, but my own life for the cause of Christ? That is different. If a Christ's obedience to Christ's words led to them being persecuted, are they not living out their faith like other martyrs? I would encourage a person to pray and fast in regards to such a situation and to seek the Scriptures on this one deeply.

Reactions: Butch5
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, for divorce it gives us only one reason, i agree. But read 1 Corinthians 7:10-11. A wife can leave and live in celibacy. It is not a sin.

For instance: A woman who has a violent husband, capable of killing her. She is protecting them both by leaving him, while he is in the process of acknowledging the need of help.
Another example: A husband who has a wife who drinks and exposes their children to shameful behavior. It takes some time for her to acknowledge the need of help, meanwhile she mistreats her children. It is not wrong for him to leave with the children, to a healthier place.

Healing is a processes and we must look at the bigger picture. What most people don't want is to accept this celibacy condition. they want to be in a marriage or in a completely free state. Sometimes it is dangerous to share a bed with a spouse, sometimes a couple needs to be apart, keep being loyal, working on their problems. It is not a sin not to live under the same roof. Sometimes it is needed. It shouldn't be something final, but seen as a tool for keep people safe.

I will have to check that passage out again. Thank you.

• Friendly
Reactions: Undenied
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay.. so. There are a couple points I'd like to make. Lets begin with the fact those words about adultery were spoken to national Isreal the people... God's people

Now, if so we realize that their reasons for divorce were far different than, say, life-endangering physical abuse..

Second, this was spoken to men. Why? Because they would marry, get bored and get a divorce, leaving said former wife without means of support. Why? Because the grass was always greener on the other side. Then in a divorced state, the wife would run around trying to replace that means of support..

in general this behavior is bad for society, bad for children to have multiple mommies and daddies and no consistency of parenting.

It's still bad for society.. btw.. but those are the facts if the matter.

These verses also starts with whosoever GOD joins together let no man split asunder.

How many people are actually in a God approved marriage today? One has to wonder.

Also, does the man who beats his wife half to death and threatens to kill her on a daily basis the type of Israel that Jesus spoke to?

Was Jesus speaking to the Muslim man who beats his wife half to death and threatens to kill her on a daily basis? Was he speaking to the wife telling her not to save her life?

I don't think so. Sometimes, we have to look at the circumstances Jesus was speaking to, and not try and apply it to everyone on the planet.

If your Israel today in a God joined marriage, then your not beating your wife and trying to kill her. Although you might feel bored or frustrated from time to time..

To them Jesus said stay away from the other side of the fence.

Christ primarily taught New Covenant and not Old Covenant. Many of the commands given to us by Jesus line up with the commands given to us by His followers in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Wasn't there also a provision in scripture for letting an unbelieving spouse out of the marriage, should that spouse decide they want out. The Christian can't initiate the divorce but should the unbeliever seek divorce the Christian is ok to end the marriage.
It is called the Pauline Privilege, and recognized by the Catholic Church. There is also something called the Petrine Privilege. I'm not up on the details of that much rarer one. Basically all the other situations recognized by the Catholic Church involve flaws at the time of the marriage that would mean the marriage was never valid. For example a flaw in consent, or marrying too close a relative. Those wouldn't be considered marriages to begin with. For a valid marriage the Catholic Church would allow separation if need be, divorce if need be, but not a remarriage. Protestants seem to have a wide variety of beliefs about remarriage after divorce.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christ primarily taught New Covenant and not Old Covenant. Many of the commands given to us by Jesus line up with the commands given to us by His followers in the New Testament.

What you said doesn't apply to what I said. At all.

You didn't answer to my post.

I ended, summarised a small teaching with - Israel today (God's people in the modern age) who are in a God joined marriage might get bored or frustrated, (like ancient israel did sometimes) but the issues we are seeing to say (physical abuse, drug addiction, men who abandon their wives and children) even among those calling themselves Christian, simply don't apply to Israel God's people.

We are attempting to apply verses in the Bible to all of humanity when it doesn't apply to any but modern New Covenant Israel - and they aren't having these same issues.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't have all the answers. But would we do the same thing if we were being persecuted for the cause of preaching the gospel in another country? Violence can happen upon us. We can be hurt and killed for preaching the gospel. Would not her stand on Christ's words be a form of persecution in trusting the words of Jesus instead of her own desire to live life? Is it honest to hide and lie who we are? Do we hide a candle under a bed? Or do we let the light shine for all the world to see? Surely, I would not want to put any children in any harms way, but my own life for the cause of Christ? That is different. If a Christ's obedience to Christ's words led to them being persecuted, are they not living out their faith like other martyrs? I would encourage a person to pray and fast in regards to such a situation and to seek the Scriptures on this one deeply.

No.

It's sin against a spouse and/or children and the absolute ripping to shreds of a covenant made to God. The one putting "asunder" the marriage vow is the one destroying it, piece by piece.

It is sin. It's evil.

The Bible speaks of violent men in no uncertain terms. The shedding of innocent blood is an abomination to the living God. The Bible also speaks about not caring for one's own. and that it would be better if a mill stone was put around the offenders neck and be cast into the deepest sea.

Spouses have been burned, hospitalized, and the violent spouse coming into the hospital attempting to "finish the job". Children have been terrorized, kidnapped, and disappeared never to be heard from again, except in the newspapers describing their horrendous tortures and deaths.

This is not the same as a missionary who God ordained and prompted and prepared to go into hostile territory. This is a home where a spouse made a covenant, a promise, to care for, protect, and to even give their life for their spouse.

It's a "marriage covenant". To breach it in such an insidious way is downright wicked and evil.

Someone and/or children "fleeing" in terror from it are not sinning. The breach-er and traitor to this marriage covenant is.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Basically all the other situations recognized by the Catholic Church involve flaws at the time of the marriage that would mean the marriage was never valid. For example a flaw in consent, or marrying too close a relative. Those wouldn't be considered marriages to begin with.
How strict are they with what constitutes flaws? My brother and his wife are Catholic and were able to get her first marriage of over a year 'annulled' as far as the church was concerned so she could remarry. He was never previously married. I think her ex may have been unfaithful. I don't know if he was Catholic or not.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whosoever shall put away his wife, except for the cause of fornication, causes her to commit adultery (Matthew 5:32).

In Matthew 19:9 it says: “Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery;"

Some think you can divorce for other reasons.
Divorce was a provision under the Old Covenant. Divorce is not part of the New Covenant.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus & the apostles taught from the books of the Bible that we call the “Old Testament”.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Whosoever shall put away his wife, except for the cause of fornication, causes her to commit adultery (Matthew 5:32).

In Matthew 19:9 it says: “Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery;"

Some think you can divorce for other reasons.

They would be wrong. You can separate, but the Christian must remain faithful to their spouse for as long as they are alive. Not even abuse is a scriptural reason:

1 Peter 2:
18 Servants, be submissive to your masters with all fear, not only to the good and gentle, but also to the harsh. 19 For this is commendable, if because of conscience toward God one endures grief, suffering wrongfully. 20 For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God. 21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:

22 “Who committed no sin,
Nor was deceit found in His mouth”;

23 who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously; 24 who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed. 25 For you were like sheep going astray, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.

continued -

1 Peter 3:1 Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives, 2 when they observe your chaste conduct accompanied by fear. 3 Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel— 4 rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God. 5 For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands, 6 as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, whose daughters you are if you do good and are not afraid with any terror.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
No - I am agreeing with the words of the bible. Look it up. Fornication (inappropriate contentia) and adultery (moichaō) are not the same thing.

Fornication is "casual sex", whereas adultery is unfaithfulness. Two people that are having casual sex are fornicating, but aren't necessarily committing adultery.

Remarriage after divorce has always been an option in Lutheranism. We recognize a faithful marriage to one wife as an ideal but we do not expect people to be perfect. We do not see Jesus as "another Moses".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Im divorced and I don't believe I'm committing adultery.

I divorced while I was still Muslim, I divorced a violent man who was trying to kill me, if I had stayed with him I'd be dead today, (quite literally) and I don't even know if he's alive today..

When he was removed from the country he went home, to a country that later was overrun with ISIS and al-Qaeda, which I'm positive he joined up with for the betterment of his nation (lol) and God only knows at this point if he's living.

I'm now married to a Christian man (before I was saved) and now saved and happily married.

I don't consider myself an adultress, although if God considers me such I do rest in His forgiveness.

I simply don't believe those passages apply to all of humanity.

Life is a messy business but God is in the business of forgiveness... always.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,052.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I would say that living in separate places and having a restraining order on them but not being divorced until they are reformed would be the appropriate action to take biblically. Jesus did not give us any other reason besides divorce except for unfaithfulness.

We do not know the full teachings of Jesus though, do we? John said there would not be enough books in the world to contain them.

Do you think it possible for all these marriages to reconcile where they are in tatters?

I believe that God is mercy and love. I believe that as He created us, He knows that not all marriages can last.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im divorced and I don't believe I'm committing adultery.

I divorced while I was still Muslim, I divorced a violent man who was trying to kill me, if I had stayed with him I'd be dead today, (quite literally) and I don't even know if he's alive today..

When he was removed from the country he went home, to a country that later was overrun with ISIS and al-Qaeda, which I'm positive he joined up with for the betterment of his nation (lol) and his god, and God only knows at this point if he's still living.

I'm now married to a Christian man (before I was saved) and now saved and happily married.

I don't consider myself an adultress, although if God considers me such I do rest in His forgiveness.

I simply don't believe those passages apply to all of humanity.
There is no provision for divorce in the new covenant. All marriage religious or otherwise is permanent broken only by death.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
We do not know the full teachings of Jesus though, do we? John said there would not be enough books in the world to contain them.

Do you think it possible for all these marriages to reconcile where they are in tatters?

I believe that God is mercy and love. I believe that as He created us, He knows that not all marriages can last.

With God's help, it is certainly possible. But there are circumstances where divorce may be the most realistic choice.

Despite our church permitting remarriage, I don't know of too many people in our congregation that are divorced. The major risks for divorce are socioeconomics and education. Most of the people I know that are on their second marriage in our congregation were widowed.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is no provision for divorce in the new covenant. All marriage religious or otherwise is permanent broken only by death.

I just dont have the same belief as you in this area..

Upvote 0