The Bible's Laws on Divorce and Remarriage.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A person "could have been one", and since were all at different stages and ages...?

Well,

God Bless!

I was not talking about a believer's past life before they came to Christ. It's obvious all believers have sinned before they came to Christ. I was referring to a Christian's present walk with GOD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Instead of quoting Scriptures out of context and trying to apply them to all situations, just apply a bit of hermeneutics 101 and look at the context - who Jesus was talking to and the culture, and why He said what he said. Jesus was talking to unconverted Jewish religious leaders. He was not speaking to the common people when He spoke about divorce. He was explaining it in the context that our righteousness has to exceed that of the Pharisees if we are to be part of the kingdom of God. And that righteousness does not consist in keeping the Law.

Paul spoke to the Corinthians about divorce to counter the trend of men putting away their wives because it was thought that marriage hindered their relationship with God and that the single life was more spiritual. This was a big problem in the Corinthian church and the idea stayed with areas of the church and ended up forming the celibacy rules for Catholic priests.

I think it is a bad habit and misleading to quote Scripture out of its natural context and make up a hard and fast rule for everyone. Jesus was not writing a rule book for Christian marriage and who to do if things went wrong in that marriage. Nor did Paul. There is no teaching about divorce in any of Paul's letters to the other churches, and just because of that, it doesn't mean that divorces for all sorts of reasons were occurring.

Some churches in the way they deal with divorced and remarried members is cruel, unjust, and lacks the spirit of Christ. Genuinely converted Christians don't do things like that.

Well, I really have a big problem when folks say the Bible is not a rule book. The Bible is a rule book (among many other things). The Bible is where we get our faith from. These rules (commands) are to draw us closer to the author (GOD). Jesus says if you love me, keep my commandments (John 14:15). Jesus said if you will enter into life, keep the commandments (Matthew 19:17) (Also see Luke 10:25-28). While Christians are only under the New Covenant; There are tons of commands in both the Old Covenant and the New Covenant. Unless stated otherwise (like in the majority of 1 Corinthians 7), Paul says, "If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord." (1 Corinthians 14:37).

Also, there is no misquoting anything out of context, either. The text is clear in 1 Corinthians 7:39 and Romans 7:2 that the Law of marriage is not ended for a person unless the other spouse dies. Jesus was also clear that we could only divorce over unfaithfulness because Jesus said this was the only exception; And even then, God still hates divorce.

Note: While Paul was giving us marital advice in 1 Corinthians 7, he was also giving us commandments of the Lord in regards to marriage, too (See: 1 Corinthians 7:10-11).

The Bible is our rule of faith and practice. To go outside of God's Word on spiritual matters is to add to His Word and that is spiritually dangerous. The only reason somebody does not want to do a particular thing that the Bible says is because they simply do not like what it says.

Side Note:

Please keep in mind I also believe the Bible is a Story Book or a Book of Stories because it contains stories within it, too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course you do because you believe it to be one, which it is not by the way...

So you don't think there are any rules in the Bible? That is non-sense. The Bible is a rule book because it has rules within it; Just as I can say that the Bible is a book of stories or a Story Book because it tells us God's Story. The Bible is many things. Most importantly it is our instruction manual to get to know the Author, who is GOD.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What I am saying is that if a Christian divorces and remarries, and both confess to god sinned by divorcing, but want Him to bless this new relationship, is Not God into the restoration process?

A person is still considered an adulterer if they divorce and remarry unless their previous spouse is dead. Death is the only thing that officially ends the previous covenant. You know the saying? Until death do us part.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What I am saying is that if a Christian divorces and remarries, and both confess to god sinned by divorcing, but want Him to bless this new relationship, is Not God into the restoration process?

You cannot confess and then continue in the sin.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, that's one standard of judgment, one path through the Scriptures that produces a merciless outcome that few if any will live up to. Those who choose that standard of judgment are those who never experienced a life disaster like divorce.

There are other paths through Scripture that come to different conclusions.

Jesus promised that you'll be measured by the measure by which you measured, so if you're on the bad side of disaster, you'll choose the more lenient path.

I am not going to sugarcoat what the Bible says. There are things in it that I not like to hear but I accept them because they are God's Word. You are not Sola Scriptura so you would not understand the necessity (or importance) of wanting to stick to what God's Word says alone.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, that's one standard of judgment, one path through the Scriptures that produces a merciless outcome that few if any will live up to. Those who choose that standard of judgment are those who never experienced a life disaster like divorce.

There are other paths through Scripture that come to different conclusions.

Jesus promised that you'll be measured by the measure by which you measured, so if you're on the bad side of disaster, you'll choose the more lenient path.

It is actually a joy and not a burden to obey God. Few strive to live up to what the Bible says these days because they frankly do not want to obey God's Word. Things have gotten worse in these last days. Jesus said when He returns will he find faith on the Earth? Jesus says why do you call me Lord, Lord, if you do not do what I say?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I was not talking about a believer's past life before they came to Christ. It's obvious all believers have sinned before they came to Christ. I was referring to a Christian's present walk with GOD.
And are you the judge of God's timing...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Well, I really have a big problem when folks say the Bible is not a rule book. The Bible is a rule book (among many other things). The Bible is where we get our faith from. These rules (commands) are to draw us closer to the author (GOD). Jesus says if you love me, keep my commandments (John 14:15). Jesus said if you will enter into life, keep the commandments (Matthew 19:17) (Also see Luke 10:25-28). While Christians are only under the New Covenant; There are tons of commands in both the Old Covenant and the New Covenant. Unless stated otherwise (like in the majority of 1 Corinthians 7), Paul says, "If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord." (1 Corinthians 14:37).

Also, there is no misquoting anything out of context, either. The text is clear in 1 Corinthians 7:39 and Romans 7:2 that the Law of marriage is not ended for a person unless the other spouse dies. Jesus was also clear that we could only divorce over unfaithfulness because Jesus said this was the only exception; And even then, God still hates divorce.

Note: While Paul was giving us marital advice in 1 Corinthians 7, he was also giving us commandments of the Lord in regards to marriage, too (See: 1 Corinthians 7:10-11).

The Bible is our rule of faith and practice. To go outside of God's Word on spiritual matters is to add to His Word and that is spiritually dangerous. The only reason somebody does not want to do a particular thing that the Bible says is because they simply do not like what it says.

Side Note:

Please keep in mind I also believe the Bible is a Story Book or a Book of Stories because it contains stories within it, too.
The bottom line with all this is that compassion is the guiding rule when dealing with suffering people. A person who has been divorced through whatever reason, especially when it was not his or her choice to have to go through it, needs to be treated with compassion, kindness and gentleness along with love, before trying to force them to comply with some religious rule, even if one can use Scripture to apply it. The devil can quote Scripture, because he knows it more accurately than we do, and he knows how to apply Scripture so expertly, it is difficult to discern when he is doing it and when the Holy Spirit is doing it.

The difference is that the devil uses Scripture to beat suffering people over the head and give them condemnation bombs. The Holy Spirit uses Scripture in the context of love, gentleness, kindness, and patience.

Someone who has never been through a divorce, and I talking about the innocent party who never wanted it but had it forced on them, would have absolutely no idea at all the depth of grief and suffering a person goes through. It can take years and years to be healed.

And the worst thing to happen to a person is for some religious hypocrite to quote Scripture without compassion and stick their religious knife into that suffering person's guts just to see them bleed a little more.

Reactions: ColoRaydo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
A person is still considered an adulterer if they divorce and remarry unless their previous spouse is dead. Death is the only thing that officially ends the previous covenant. You know the saying? Until death do us part.
I hope you never have to go through the suffering of divorce, because if you do, you will change your tune right quick!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You cannot confess and then continue in the sin.
Yes you can, and should, if you are, and be "repentant" all the way through it...

That's what the Christian life and walk is all about...

And the greatest evils are committed by those denying their sin...

God Bless!

• Agree
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes you can, and should, if you are, and be "repentant" all the way through it...

God Bless!
The question is, if the innocent party is forced into a divorce against their wishes, has that person sinned? And if that innocent person, after knowing beyond doubt that there is absolutely no way that the marriage can be reconciled, finds another partner and remarries, is that a sin?

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not sure why pot-smoking is in that list. Murder is murder. Rape is inappropriate contenteia. Pot-smoking is...using the plants God gave us and breaking the civil law, but not a deadly sin.

You can actually get a DUI for marijuana in the State of California. This means that smoking such said substance can effect you in being sober minded enough to not safely drive a motor vehicle (Whereby you would put others at risk of harm and or death). Not being sober minded is a direct violation of Scripture that commands Christians to be sober (1 Peter 1:13) (1 Peter 4:7) (1 Timothy 3:2) (1 Timothy 3:11) (Titus 1:8) (Titus 2:2) (Titus 2:4) (Titus 2:6) (Titus 2:12) (1 Thessalonians 5:6-8). For God's Word wants us to be sober minded for our adversary the devil, is a roaring lion, who walks about, seeking those whom he may devour (1 Peter 5:8).

Pot smoking would be akin to being drunk (because a person is no longer being sober minded); However, drunkards shall not inherit the Kingdom of God (See 1 Corinthians 6:9-11).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God Bless!

No, a Christian cannot willingly commit sin and claim to be saved while they still sin. They might stumble or struggle with a particular sin on rare occasion in their life, but they will confess and forsake that sin and they will not remain in their grievous sins that way the majority of their walk with God. Paul says we are not slaves to sin but we are slaves to righteousness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
No, a Christian cannot willingly commit sin and claim to be saved while they still sin. They might stumble or struggle with a particular sin, but they will confess and forsake that sin and they will not remain in their grievous sins that way the majority of their walk with God. Paul says we are not slaves to sin but we are slaves to righteousness.
You contradict yourself by saying that they will struggle or stumble and fall sometimes, and fail sometimes, but make no allowance for that whatsoever...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The question is, if the innocent party is forced into a divorce against their wishes, has that person sinned? And if that innocent person, after knowing beyond doubt that there is absolutely no way that the marriage can be reconciled, finds another partner and remarries, is that a sin?
I don't think so, though some may disagree with me...

God Bless!

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You contradict yourself by saying that they will struggle or stumble and fall sometimes, and fail sometimes, but make no allowance for that whatsoever...

God Bless!

It's not a contradiction. A believer sometimes can take time to learn and apply God's Word so as to mature in their faith. Faithful believers do not justify sin and think they are saved.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It's not a contradiction. A believer sometimes can take time to learn and apply God's Word so as to mature in their faith. Faithful believers do not justify sin and think they are saved.
Denying sin is a subtle way of justifying sin, and just because some are honest about their sin(s) does not mean they are justifying it/them not think they are OK, nor feel that they are OK...

And it is a contradiction as you make no allowance for any kind of sin, which is a contradiction, and contradicts the true gospel and good news gospel message...

What you saying, doing, preaching is not the "good news"...

And the gospel you proclaim you do not live up to, nor can anyone else either...

Cause it's a false gospel...

God Bless!

• Agree
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that the merits won for you by Jesus' passion and cruifixion are not necessary ? That you can keep the Law and assuredly will. It's a matter of obedience, etc ?

After we are saved by God's grace in accepting Jesus as our Savior, we have to continue in the faith by following Jesus. Continuing in the faith: Keeping God's commands (or the Sanctification process by the Spirit) is also part of God's grace being applied to us. For if we walk in the light, the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin (1 John 1:7); For Christ is the author of eternal salvation to all who OBEY Him (See: Hebrews 5:9). Works of faith are a part of our faith.

Upvote 0