The Bible: Truthfully Stated, but Not Statements of Truth?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
I once heard a preacher say these words in regards to the bible: (paraphrasing) "All things in the bible are truthfully stated, but not all things are statements of truth". Is the meaning plain to see in his words or is it not? Do some of you agree or disagree. I tend to understand what he said and I agree.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
leecappella said:
I once heard a preacher say these words in regards to the bible: (paraphrasing) "All things in the bible are truthfully stated, but not all things are statements of truth". Is the meaning plain to see in his words or is it not? Do some of you agree or disagree. I tend to understand what he said and I agree.
The accurate quoting of Peter, howbeit false, is a good example.

He said "I never knew him..."
But it was a lie.

Upvote 0

Van Arsdale

Oct 16, 2003
✟153.00
I don't understand fully what he meant; but here is a Scripture that will hopefully help:

1 Tm 6:20 Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, 21which some have professed and in so doing have wandered from the faith.
Grace be with you. / NIV

Upvote 0

Van Arsdale

Oct 16, 2003
✟153.00
Does he mean instances like when Job's friend did not speak what was "right" about God? As in:
Job 42:7 After the LORD had said these things to Job, he said to Eliphaz the Temanite, "I am angry with you and your two friends, because you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has.

Or like when Peter may or may not have necessarily lied when he said, "I don't know the man!" as in Mt 26:74. He may have had doubts at that moment as to whether he had really ever 'known' him [as he thought]; because they didn't understand what Jesus meant when he said he had "...to be betrayed into the hands of men. They will kill him, and after three days he will rise." [Mk9:31] For it is written:
But they did not understand what he meant and were afraid to ask him about it. -Mk 9:32

Upvote 0

Paula

Veteran
Oct 15, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟17,178.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
leecappella said:
Hi, Lee!

I think what the preacher meant was to always read things in their proper context instead of just trying to figure out the meaning of one or two verses. Read the whole passage to get the meaning. Sometimes people are being quoted or paraphrased, and it's not always the word of the Lord. But we can count on the Bible being true and divinly inspired:

2 Timothy 3:16 states that “All scripture is inspired by God….” In 2 Peter 1:20-21, Peter reminds the reader to “know this first of all, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, … but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.”

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.