The Bible. The infallible word of God?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It's commonly taught and believed by many Christians that the Bible is a book that is without error. Yet there are many contradictions and errors in the Bible. Why is this? Why do so many Christians (myself included) believe that the Bible is without error when it in fact contains many errors? It makes us not only look stupid to atheists but to other religious groups as well. Is this belief just given to us by the Holy Spirit or is there a reasoning to this?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's commonly taught and believed by many Christians that the Bible is a book that is without error. Yet there are many contradictions and errors in the Bible. Why is this? Why do so many Christians (myself included) believe that the Bible is without error when it in fact contains many errors? It makes us not only look stupid to atheists but to other religious groups as well. Is this belief just given to us by the Holy Spirit or is there a reasoning to this?

It is the faith of the Orthodox Church that the Bible, as the divinely-inspired Word of God in the words of men, contains no formal errors or inner contradictions concerning the relationship between God and the world. There may be incidental inaccuracies of a non-essential character in the Bible. But the eternal spiritual and doctrinal message of God, presented in the Bible in many different ways, remains perfectly consistent, authentic, and true.

The Orthodox Faith - Volume I - Doctrine and Scripture - The Bible - Word of God

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It is the faith of the Orthodox Church that the Bible, as the divinely-inspired Word of God in the words of men, contains no formal errors or inner contradictions concerning the relationship between God and the world. There may be incidental inaccuracies of a non-essential character in the Bible. But the eternal spiritual and doctrinal message of God, presented in the Bible in many different ways, remains perfectly consistent, authentic, and true.

The Orthodox Faith - Volume I - Doctrine and Scripture - The Bible - Word of God

Well apparently one argument for inerrancy that I've heard is that all of the Old Testament was written by prophets and people chosen by God and that they were all guided by the Holy Spirit who cannot lie to wrote these things. Therefore they HAVE to be true.

I've never completely read the OT so I cannot comment on this but I think that many of the errors contained in the Bible are from the OT. Like I've seen people post contradictions in Leviticus and numbers. Yet Moses was being guided by the Holy Spirit when he wrote those books. It doesn't really add up when you think about it.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good Day, Neostarwcc

You might find this helpful. I often find critics of the "God-Breathed" out word taking liberty in their misunderstanding of what we mean when we say that the Word of God is both Inerrant and Infallible.

https://library.dts.edu/Pages/TL/Special/ICBI_1.pdf

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Bible2+

Matthew 4:4
Sep 14, 2015
✟91,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Neostarwcc said in post #1:

It's commonly taught and believed by many Christians that the Bible is a book that is without error.

That's right, for:

2 Timothy 3:15 . . . from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
2 Timothy 4:1 ¶I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

This passage shows that the Bible's inerrancy is taught by the Bible itself, while the idea of the Bible's errancy renders it useless. For then we can claim that any part of the Bible which we personally do not like is in error. And so we vitiate the whole purpose of the Bible, which is to be "profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works" (2 Timothy 3:16b-17). That is, if the Bible were errant, we could reject its doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness whenever we personally felt like it (2 Timothy 4:3-4), claiming that it is in error in those instances.

Neostarwcc said in post #1:

Yet there are many contradictions and errors in the Bible.

Like what?

Neostarwcc said in post #3:

. . . one argument for inerrancy that I've heard is that all of the Old Testament was written by prophets and people chosen by God and that they were all guided by the Holy Spirit who cannot lie to wrote these things. Therefore they HAVE to be true.

That's right, for:

2 Peter 1:19 ¶We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Luke 24:44 And he [Jesus] said unto them [His disciples], These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
48 And ye are witnesses of these things.

Acts 26:22 Having therefore obtained help of God, I [Paul the apostle] continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:
23 That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.

Neostarwcc said in post #3:

. . . I've seen people post contradictions in Leviticus and numbers.

Like what?

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's commonly taught and believed by many Christians that the Bible is a book that is without error. Yet there are many contradictions and errors in the Bible. Why is this? Why do so many Christians (myself included) believe that the Bible is without error ...

Because when it is understood correctly, there is no mistake or error. If you disagree, please show one?

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That's right, for:

2 Timothy 3:15 . . . from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
2 Timothy 4:1 ¶I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

This passage shows that the Bible's inerrancy is taught by the Bible itself, while the idea of the Bible's errancy renders it useless. For then we can claim that any part of the Bible which we personally do not like is in error. And so we vitiate the whole purpose of the Bible, which is to be "profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works" (2 Timothy 3:16b-17). That is, if the Bible were errant, we could reject its doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness whenever we personally felt like it (2 Timothy 4:3-4), claiming that it is in error in those instances.

Like what?

That's right, for:

2 Peter 1:19 ¶We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Luke 24:44 And he [Jesus] said unto them [His disciples], These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
48 And ye are witnesses of these things.

Acts 26:22 Having therefore obtained help of God, I [Paul the apostle] continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:
23 That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.

Like what?

Just do a Google for bible contradictions and errors there are plenty of them. But anyway I forgot that Paul said that scripture was inerrant too. I mean like I said its something I believe but why do we believe it?

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just do a Google for bible contradictions and errors there are plenty of them. But anyway I forgot that Paul said that scripture was inerrant too. I mean like I said its something I believe but why do we believe it?
I think we believe it because of the logical deduction. If it is God-breathed (like it says it is), then there aren't many choices:
  • If it contains errors then either God lied (not possible according to Scripture), God was wrong (but God is supposed to be omniscient), or our understanding of the Scripture in question is incorrect.
So since we don't want to "demote" God, and since we're too proud to admit a lack of understanding, we're left with the only other option, viz., that the Bible contains no errors.

• Winner
Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think we believe it because of the logical deduction. If it is God-breathed (like it says it is), then there aren't many choices:
  • If it contains errors then either God lied (not possible according to Scripture), God was wrong (but God is supposed to be omniscient), or our understanding of the Scripture in question is incorrect.
So since we don't want to "demote" God, and since we're too proud to admit a lack of understanding, we're left with the only other option, viz., that the Bible contains no errors.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Because how can the Holy Spirit lie? I mean Peter says in one of his letters (I forget which one) that all scripture was written by people who were carried along by the Holy Spirit. So for scripture to be wrong the Holy Spirit would have had to fed them lies. Which cannot happen because God cannot lie. Its just not in his nature. I get it now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God's Word claims that it is perfect (Psalms 12:6) (Psalms 119:140) (Proverbs 30:5) and that it will be preserved for all generations (Psalms 12:7) and it will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8) (1 Peter 1:25). Therefore, seeing Scripture plainly states these facts, it then becomes an issue of a test of your faith in God's Word (See the test the devil gave to Eve in Genesis 3:1); For the Bereans were more noble because they compared the spoken Word of God with the written Word of God (Acts of the Apostles 17:11). In other words, if the Bereans thought the written Word was corrupt in some way they would have no way of really knowing if the spoken Word of God was true or not.

Actually, there are many proofs that show that God's Word is perfect and divine in origin. This would be the Hebrew, and Greek Scriptures (Textus Receptus) and the English Scriptures (KJV 1769).

If you need proof, just check out my Blogger article on the many evidences that backs up God's Word as being divine in origin.

Love Branch: Evidences for the Word of God

Side Note:

Please keep in mind that I do use Modern Translations to help update the 1600's English. But the KJV is my final word of authority.

Side Note 2:

If God's Word was not perfect and divine in origin, I probably would not be a Christian today. It is the Bible in where my faith rests. Bible = Faith. Is one's faith imperfect because a person has an imperfect Bible?

In other words, when you think there are contradictions in the Bible, usually it is because it is a lack of understanding on your part. All supposed contradictions that have been put forth to me, I was able to explain (given enough time, research, and prayer).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The classic understanding has been that the church was established to receive, interpret, preserve, and preach the faith. With that scenario, issues such as conflicting interpretations or possible contradictions are resolved or circumvented/ precluded.

Upvote 0

Bible2+

Matthew 4:4
Sep 14, 2015
✟91,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Neostarwcc said in post #8:

Just do a Google for bible contradictions and errors there are plenty of them.

You mean plenty which have been claimed to be contradictions and errors?

That is, do you believe that they all truly are, and if so, why?

Also, can you give a specific example which you think is the worst contradiction or error of all?

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You do know there is such a thing as text variation right?

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You mean plenty which have been claimed to be contradictions and errors?

That is, do you believe that they all truly are, and if so, why?

Also, can you give a specific example which you think is the worst contradiction or error of all?

Well okay I'll give an example. In Leviticus 11:5-6 there are two animals listed as unclean the rabbit and the rock hyrax because they chew the cud. But these animals do not chew the cud. Did these animals chew the cud when this was written and then later change? If not than it's an example of a contradiction.

I mean I believe that the Bible is the inerrant word of God but for a book that is inerrant it sure has a lot of problematic passages specifically in Leviticus and Numbers. You're right that these are unprovable claims but you'd think the word of God that was basically written by the Holy Spirit would be completely without fault or error and all of it would be proven by modern science. Instead we have a book that claims that everything was created in six days around 6,000 years ago and science seems to point to evolution billions of years ago. I mean I believe the Bible but it sounds unbelievable when you examine it. So much that so many Christians don't believe in the Bible at all and our faith seems like a blind faith. See what I'm getting at?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
God's Word claims that it is perfect (Psalms 12:6) (Psalms 119:140) (Proverbs 30:5) and that it will be preserved for all generations (Psalms 12:7) and it will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8) (1 Peter 1:25). Therefore, seeing Scripture plainly states these facts, it then becomes an issue of a test of your faith in God's Word (See the test the devil gave to Eve in Genesis 3:1); For the Bereans were more noble because they compared the spoken Word of God with the written Word of God (Acts of the Apostles 17:11). In other words, if the Bereans thought the written Word was corrupt in some way they would have no way of really knowing if the spoken Word of God was true or not.

Actually, there are many proofs that show that God's Word is perfect and divine in origin. This would be the Hebrew, and Greek Scriptures (Textus Receptus) and the English Scriptures (KJV 1769).

If you need proof, just check out my Blogger article on the many evidences that backs up God's Word as being divine in origin.

Love Branch: Evidences for the Word of God

Side Note:

Please keep in mind that I do use Modern Translations to help update the 1600's English. But the KJV is my final word of authority.

Side Note 2:

If God's Word was not perfect and divine in origin, I probably would not be a Christian today. It is the Bible in where my faith rests. Bible = Faith. Is one's faith imperfect because a person has an imperfect Bible?

In other words, when you think there are contradictions in the Bible, usually it is because it is a lack of understanding on your part. All supposed contradictions that have been put forth to me, I was able to explain (given enough time, research, and prayer).

Right and I completely agree with you. The Bible IS the inerrant word of God. But I was asking where does that belief come from? Because it makes Christians look like fools to atheists and other religious groups who see many errors in the Bible. So our claims about the infallibility of the word of God sound like hogwash.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Right and I completely agree with you. The Bible IS the inerrant word of God. But I was asking where does that belief come from? Because it makes Christians look like fools to atheists and other religious groups who see many errors in the Bible. So our claims about the infallibility of the word of God sound like hogwash.

People who do not believe every word is true and perfect in the Bible think that God's Word was ultimately preserved by men and not God. They do not regard it as a "HOLY Bible" but they regard it as a "holey bible" that is full of errors and holes. To them: God did not sovereignly protect and preserve His Word like the Word of God says. So for them: They think God's Word is corrupted. This is a problem because that would mean their faith is corrupted. For faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).

As for atheists and the Bible:

They see contradictions in the Scriptures because that is what they want to see. They are trying to justify their sin. Some Christians do the same thing. They claim there are errors in God's Word and yet they also are coincidentally justifying sin in their own lives (on some level), too.

"...the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men." (1 Corinthians 1:25).

Note: Just because someone is a KJV Only Proponent does not mean that they are not justifying sin, too. But the Bible says that whatsoever is not of faith is sin (Romans 14:23). Seeing our faith rests in the Bible, and if you think the Bible has errors in it, then you think there are parts of the Bible that are not of the faith. This is a huge problem. Our faith rests upon the Word of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I have answered some popular contradictions against God's Word
(the KJV) over the years. Here a few explanations on a few of them (that were difficult for me at one time).

Christian Forums Thread:
"A Biblical Defense Against Supposed Contradictions in the KJV."

Note: There are more explanations at the bottom of page two (of this thread). You have to skip past the other poster who was repeatedly spamming the thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well okay I'll give an example. In Leviticus 11:5-6 there are two animals listed as unclean the rabbit and the rock hyrax because they chew the cud. But these animals do not chew the cud. Did these animals chew the cud when this was written and then later change? If not than it's an example of a contradiction.

I mean I believe that the Bible is the inerrant word of God but for a book that is inerrant it sure has a lot of problematic passages specifically in Leviticus and Numbers. You're right that these are unprovable claims but you'd think the word of God that was basically written by the Holy Spirit would be completely without fault or error and all of it would be proven by modern science. Instead we have a book that claims that everything was created in six days around 6,000 years ago and science seems to point to evolution billions of years ago. I mean I believe the Bible but it sounds unbelievable when you examine it. So much that so many Christians don't believe in the Bible at all and our faith seems like a blind faith. See what I'm getting at?

That one is easy...

Do the badger and rabbit chew the cud? | CARM.org

Is there a Bible contradiction in Leviticus 11:5–6?

Just because some one may perceive an error, does not follow they are in fact correct.

In Him,

Bill

Reactions: 1213
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
full

Upvote 0