Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“There exists but one God ... he is the Father, God, the Creator, the author, the giver of order.” —St. Irenaeus

Some misguided folks actually claim that the Old Testament, and even the New Testament, taught “henotheism” — which is a form of polytheism holding that one God only is worshiped, but the existence of other gods is acknowledged. This is untrue. Monotheism (one God and one God only) is crystal clear throughout the Bible:

Exodus 8:10 (RSV). . . there is no one like the LORD our God. (cf. 1 Chr 17:20; 2 Chr 6:14)

Deuteronomy 4:35, 39 To you it was shown, that you might know that the LORD is God; there is no other besides him. . . . [39] . . . the LORD is God in heaven above and on the earth beneath; there is no other. (cf. Neh 9:6; 2 Sam 7:22; 1 Kgs 8:23; Is 43:10; 44:6, 8; 45:5-6, 14, 18, 21-22; 46:9; 47:8; Hos 13:4)

Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD; (cf. Mk 12:29; Jas 2:19)

Deuteronomy 32:39 See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand. (cf. Ps 83:18; 86:10)

Isaiah 37:20 …thou alone art the LORD. (cf. 37:16)

Isaiah 43:10 …Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me.

Isaiah 44:8 …Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any. (cf. 44:6; 45:5-6, 21-22; 46:9; Mal 2:10)

Ephesians 4:5-6 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, [6] one God and Father of us all, who is above all and through all and in all.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, . . .

The Bible also explains beyond any doubt that the other “gods” often referred to are not real (only imagined to be by false worshipers). The idea here is that they exist in other religious belief-systems: but not in fact or reality. They are merely carvings of wood and stone, and have no conscious existence:

Continued below.
The Bible Teaches That Other “Gods” are Imaginary

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“There exists but one God ... he is the Father, God, the Creator, the author, the giver of order.” —St. Irenaeus

Some misguided folks actually claim that the Old Testament, and even the New Testament, taught “henotheism” — which is a form of polytheism holding that one God only is worshiped, but the existence of other gods is acknowledged. This is untrue. Monotheism (one God and one God only) is crystal clear throughout the Bible:

Exodus 8:10 (RSV). . . there is no one like the LORD our God. (cf. 1 Chr 17:20; 2 Chr 6:14)

Deuteronomy 4:35, 39 To you it was shown, that you might know that the LORD is God; there is no other besides him. . . . [39] . . . the LORD is God in heaven above and on the earth beneath; there is no other. (cf. Neh 9:6; 2 Sam 7:22; 1 Kgs 8:23; Is 43:10; 44:6, 8; 45:5-6, 14, 18, 21-22; 46:9; 47:8; Hos 13:4)

Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD; (cf. Mk 12:29; Jas 2:19)

Deuteronomy 32:39 See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand. (cf. Ps 83:18; 86:10)

Isaiah 37:20 …thou alone art the LORD. (cf. 37:16)

Isaiah 43:10 …Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me.

Isaiah 44:8 …Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any. (cf. 44:6; 45:5-6, 21-22; 46:9; Mal 2:10)

Ephesians 4:5-6 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, [6] one God and Father of us all, who is above all and through all and in all.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, . . .

The Bible also explains beyond any doubt that the other “gods” often referred to are not real (only imagined to be by false worshipers). The idea here is that they exist in other religious belief-systems: but not in fact or reality. They are merely carvings of wood and stone, and have no conscious existence:

Continued below.
The Bible Teaches That Other “Gods” are Imaginary
I agree wholeheartedly there is one God. Is it though not reasonable to think that false gods could also be the devil or demons? I've heard it said that for example it's possible Mohammed did see an angel however it was not an angel but a devil/demon. Just asking questions and saying what I've heard I am not arguing.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree wholeheartedly there is one God. Is it though not reasonable to think that false gods could also be the devil or demons? I've heard it said that for example it's possible Mohammed did see an angel however it was not an angel but a devil/demon. Just asking questions and saying what I've heard I am not arguing.
I know you aren’t. I have wondered the same. I do think demons can attach to a concept and worship of a false god. Even Scripture warns of ‘angels of light.’

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know you aren’t. I have wondered the same. I do think demons can attach to a concept and worship of a false god. Even Scripture warns of ‘angels of light.’
Yeah, we'll never know but it's another reason to be very cautious around false "gods". I first heard the concept talking about the ancient Roman and Greek gods.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0