The Bible & Science on a Spherical Earth (Flat Earth Refuted)

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Are you talking about how people on one side of the spherical Earth can see the sun while other people on the other side of the spherical Earth can see the Earth's shadow on the moon?
No, I'm talking about how I, myself, can see the fully shadowed moon and the sun in the sky at the same time.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, I'm talking about how I, myself, can see the fully shadowed moon and the sun in the sky at the same time.

You are going to have to show a picture of this or something so I can have some kind of frame of reference to give you a proper explanation.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Stop and think for a moment. If the Earth was flat then ships would not drop below the horizon as they get farther away from you. They would just shrink. Did you know that you can see the sun set twice in one day? If you are sitting down and watching the sun set, as soon as you seen it go down, you can stand up really quick to see it set again a second time for that day. The horizon would have to be the edge of flat disk. But Flat Earthers somehow have done some kind of magic trick to fool people to think otherwise. I don't know how they do it, but it is pure silliness. Like I said, take a model and a light and go from there. I guarantee that you will be led to the truth that the Earth is clearly a sphere (By doing so).
Sorry, but, if you get a camera with a good zoom lens, from a seated position, you can watch the ship go out of view... zoom in.... and there it is again... Not a mirrage, not refraction... just the same ship in full view with no curve to hide it.

As for the FE model and the sun... I cannot seem to get you to understand. You keep talking about it going below the edge. It does not do this. In the model, the sun is small and close and only illuminates a small portion and is only visible in this small portion of land.

If this does not make sense. Check out the numerous examples on line... .Just view them with an open mind... not with a "this is stupid, lets see their lies" attitude.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You are going to have to show a picture of this or something so I can have some kind of frame of reference to give you a proper explanation.
There is no need for a picture or frame of reference... Pretend you are standing on your deck during the full eclipse of the moon... meanwhile it's daylight and you can see the sun above the horizon to your east.

If you don't believe me... google it. You will be inundated with all the drivel of the people trying to dismiss it due to refraction, and other dubious excuses.

Fact is that it happens and it is impossible if the earth is what blocks the sun.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

First of all, the sun is much further away than the moon. Therefore, when they appear to be close together in the sky, the sun is behind the moon, lighting up the back side of it. If it's further off to the side, you will see a crescent moon. However, you will not see a "fully shadowed" moon in the sky close to the sun. If it's fully shadowed, then it's not visible, by definition. And I'm sure you know full well what happens when the moon passes directly in front of the sun. You remember the eclipse last year, right?

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The diagram is obviously simplified in scale because of the vast distances involved. Even at 93 million (not thousand) miles the suns rays are not absolutely parallel. Even the relative sizes of the sun, earth and moon are simplified in the diagram. The scientific model not only works but it works exceedingly well. Wishful thinking doesn't work nearly as well.
Here is the proper way that light hits the earth from the sun. The distance most certainly does matter. The rays of light do not converge then diverge and the shadow of the moon must be larger than the moon itself.. It is simple physics.

However, almost every single diagram that I can find, for eclipses and other examples shows converging rays... Until you look at one describing the seasons...

Science has got to pick one or the other... truth is... they must be parallel if they are from 93,000,000 miles away.

800px-Seasons.svg.png

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
First of all, the sun is much further away than the moon. Therefore, when they appear to be close together in the sky, the sun is behind the moon, lighting up the back side of it. If it's further off to the side, you will see a crescent moon. However, you will not see a "fully shadowed" moon in the sky close to the sun. If it's fully shadowed, then it's not visible, by definition. And I'm sure you know full well what happens when the moon passes directly in front of the sun. You remember the eclipse last year, right?
Did you google it? Nope.... or you would not have said... If it's fully shadowed, then it's not visible, by definition.

This happens. If you had of googled it, you would have responded with the same excuses that they feed us due to the fact that it should be impossible.

We have to put on our big boy pants... When science tell us something is happening for reasons that are impossible... we must assume that they are lying or don't know.. or don't want us to know..

Most people will shrug their shoulders and have a beer and watch the game.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, but, if you get a camera with a good zoom lens, from a seated position, you can watch the ship go out of view... zoom in.... and there it is again... Not a mirrage, not refraction... just the same ship in full view with no curve to hide it.

It's demonstrably false.

Telescopes just make things bigger. If something is hidden beyond the horizon then you won't be able to see it with a telescope.

dscn3193-comparison-jpg.24254

Here is what one spherical Earth proponent (i.e. reality observer) has said on another forum:

"I zoomed in on this boat. I could see the sail with the naked eye. The bottom of the boat was still covered. Then I stood up so I could see over the horizon and the boat appeared."

You can read more about what his debate with Flat Earthers here:

Help with a debate about curvature and distance calculations

More than likely if you did the experiment yourself, and seen the bottom part of the boat reappear, you either stood up or climbed to a higher part of the boat.

You said:
As for the FE model and the sun... I cannot seem to get you to understand. You keep talking about it going below the edge. It does not do this. In the model, the sun is small and close and only illuminates a small portion and is only visible in this small portion of land.

If this does not make sense. Check out the numerous examples on line... .Just view them with an open mind... not with a "this is stupid, lets see their lies" attitude.

No. You don't understand. You have been tricked by Flat Earthers. Get a 3D program and make a model of a Flat Earth and make a model of a round Earth and test it. If the sun does not go down below the edge than we are not living on a Flat Earth. It is that simple. Perspective of an object getting smaller away in the distance does not make that object drop unless it is being covered by something else. In the case with the Earth, objects drop below the horizon as we get farther away form them because the Earth is spherical. The Earth gets in the way of our seeing the object.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

If this is true, then why is it completely night time in one part of the world while the sun is directly overhead in another part of the world? You say the sun is close, but it would have to be extremely close to the earth to fully illuminate one part of the earth while being completely invisible to another part, especially if the earth were truly flat. I mean, you say you can see ships far away that are on the surface of water, but you can't see the sun at the "top of the sky"? Doesn't make sense.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Did you google it? Nope.... or you would not have said... If it's fully shadowed, then it's not visible, by definition.

This happens. If you had of googled it, you would have responded with the same excuses that they feed us due to the fact that it should be impossible.

We have to put on our big boy pants... When science tell us something is happening for reasons that are impossible... we must assume that they are lying or don't know.. or don't want us to know..

Most people will shrug their shoulders and have a beer and watch the game.

I asked for your view of it, not Google's. Again, didn't you see the eclipse last year? Didn't you notice how the moon passed in front of the moon, blocking out its light? And didn't you notice how it happened at different times on different parts of the earth?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It's demonstrably false.

Telescopes just make things bigger. If something is hidden beyond the horizon then you won't be able to see it with a telescope.

dscn3193-comparison-jpg.24254

Here is what one spherical Earth proponent (i.e. reality observer) has said on another forum:

"I zoomed in on this boat. I could see the sail with the naked eye. The bottom of the boat was still covered. Then I stood up so I could see over the horizon and the boat appeared."

You can read more about what his debate with Flat Earthers here:

Help with a debate about curvature and distance calculations

More than likely if you did the experiment yourself, and seen the bottom part of the boat reappear, you either stood up or climbed to a higher part of the boat (i.e. you cheated).

No. You don't understand. You have been tricked by Flat Earthers. Get a 3D program and make a model of a Flat Earth and make a model of a round Earth and test it. If the sun does not go down below the edge than we are not living on a Flat Earth. It is that simple. Perspective of an object getting smaller away in the distance does not make that object drop unless it is being covered by something else. In the case with the Earth, objects drop below the horizon as we get farther away form them because the Earth is spherical. The Earth gets in the way of our seeing the object.
Well, I have seen them do it. There are all kinds of examples... Boat sails out of view... appears to go over the hump... they zoom in.... there it is, in full view when it should be beyond the curve.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is no need for a picture or frame of reference... Pretend you are standing on your deck during the full eclipse of the moon... meanwhile it's daylight and you can see the sun above the horizon to your east.

If you don't believe me... google it. You will be inundated with all the drivel of the people trying to dismiss it due to refraction, and other dubious excuses.

Fact is that it happens and it is impossible if the earth is what blocks the sun.

I am not going to investigate false drivel or conspiracy theories. Give me a real picture.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, I have seen them do it. There are all kinds of examples... Boat sails out of view... appears to go over the hump... they zoom in.... there it is, in full view when it should be beyond the curve.

Did you stand up when you zoomed in on the boats? Did you go to a higher elevation on your boat or your house when you zoomed in on them?

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If this is true, then why is it completely night time in one part of the world while the sun is directly overhead in another part of the world? You say the sun is close, but it would have to be extremely close to the earth to fully illuminate one part of the earth while being completely invisible to another part, especially if the earth were truly flat. I mean, you say you can see ships far away that are on the surface of water, but you can't see the sun at the "top of the sky"? Doesn't make sense.
Yep, compared to 93,000,000.. it is extremely close....

As for ships.. they are much smaller than the sun.. All things can be too far away to see due to how tiny they get, atmospheric humidity and dust and other reasons. But the sun, in the FE model, circles close and relatively low and goes thousands of miles away to the west and it's light is no longer cast on the are you are standing.

It doesn't go below the edge.

Please research these models.. They would be much clearer to you than what I can explain... Just remember to open your mind and toss your cognitive dissonance.

Also, Every single flat earth believer has sat in your chair and wore your shoes and thought the same thoughts that you are thinking.....and laughed..just like you are.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yep, compared to 93,000,000.. it is extremely close....

As for ships.. they are much smaller than the sun.. All things can be too far away to see due to how tiny they get, atmospheric humidity and dust and other reasons. But the sun, in the FE model, circles close and relatively low and goes thousands of miles away to the west and it's light is no longer cast on the are you are standing.

It doesn't go below the edge.

If it doesn't go below the "edge" (horizon), then you're saying that it's just simply too far away to see. If that were true, then it would dim as it "goes down" at a much more gradual rate if it's simply being obscured by humidity and dust. But let's assume you're right for a moment. Once it goes all the way to the West, what does it do when it reaches the end to get back to the other side again? Remember, the sun is shining in the sky for someone at all times (unless it's behind clouds).

Please research these models.. They would be much clearer to you than what I can explain... Just remember to open your mind and toss your cognitive dissonance.

Also, Every single flat earth believer has sat in your chair and wore your shoes and thought the same thoughts that you are thinking.....and laughed..just like you are.

Not every FE person uses the same ideas. I'm wanting to discuss your own personal views so I know which idea or model to address.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
So, explain how I can see the sun and the moon is totally covered by the shadow of the earth from the light of the sun? How do you explain this impossibility?

Also, explain how the moon is the only object, ever, to cast a shadow which is smaller than itself.

That is being explained by others---again---whatever you want to make of the shadow---the point is---IT DOES NOT SHOW A FLAT EARTH. It is observable with the naked eye throughout history and can not be a modern day "conspiracy."

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So, explain how I can see the sun and the moon is totally covered by the shadow of the earth from the light of the sun? How do you explain this impossibility?

The earth isn't the only thing blocking light from the sun reaching the moon during a lunar eclipse. The atmosphere surrounding the earth does so as well, but not as much in the red part of the spectrum, which penetrates better through the atmosphere's haze and humidity. That's why the moon appears red during full eclipse.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Not every FE person uses the same ideas. I'm wanting to discuss your own personal views so I know which idea or model to address.
Well, you are mistaken. I have not arrived at a conclusion as to which model of either sort that I am happy to say is reality.

I do know that there are things that are observable by people like you and I, now, with the increase in technology and the advent of the internet, combined with those who have videos showing observations that may not be possible for everyone yet are simple and to the point. There are things that do not make sense with the Globe model.

So, I hope this helps...

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, you are mistaken. I have not arrived at a conclusion as to which model of either sort that I am happy to say is reality.

I do know that there are things that are observable by people like you and I, now, with the increase in technology and the advent of the internet, combined with those who have videos showing observations that may not be possible for everyone yet are simple and to the point. There are things that do not make sense with the Globe model.

So, I hope this helps...

I'm glad to hear you haven't arrived at a conclusion, even though your posts seem to indicate that you have. The idea that you haven't is the only reason I continue answering your questions.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That is being explained by others---again---whatever you want to make of the shadow---the point is---IT DOES NOT SHOW A FLAT EARTH. It is observable with the naked eye throughout history and can not be a modern day "conspiracy."
LOL, good one, very observant.. however....... my point about the shadow had nothing to do with the Flat earth... It has to do with the fact that something is broken with the system that they are force feeding us..

And... It has not been explained.... by anyone...

Physics demands that an object which comes in front of a light source will cast a shadow... This shadow cannot be smaller than the object... Period.

Please show me one example that would prove this wrong... other than the fake moon shadow... that, as a bonus.. moved from west to east and not east to west as it should...

Upvote 0