USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
How can a Christian be miserable? Or vacillate between arrogance and self-hatred.

Unlike most evangelicals, I took God's law dealt seriously. I didn't lower the bar. Since no man can obey God's law, we must rest in Christ's finished work.

(bad) Evangelical Christianity says, "come in for free" and then once you are in, it's all up to you.

Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unlike most evangelical, I took God's law dealt seriously. I didn't lower the bar.
Well, if you took God's law in the wrong way, applying it to yourself as a burden then you were not taking the gospel message in the right way. Only God knows where your understanding was, but possibly you were not actually saved and free in Christ. Actually the law of Christ, as opposed to the OT law, elevates the bar, yet it is fulfilled in Him and that gives a believer peace and rest. ( Matt. 11:28)

• Agree
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unlike most evangelicals, I took God's law dealt seriously. I didn't lower the bar. Since no man can obey God's law, we must rest in Christ's finished work.

(bad) Evangelical Christianity says, "come in for free" and then once you are in, it's all up to you.
Just curious were you raised in a Christian home and church?

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Five Articles of the Remonstrants

Article 1.

Conditional Election

Article 2.

Unlimited Atonement

Article 3.

Deprivation

Article 4.

Resistible Grace

Article 5.

Assurance and Security

D epraved inability of human function
A rbitrary selection of the divinely favored
I nequitable limitation of Christ's redemption
S ystemic coercion of the predetermined
Y oked confinement of Christian believers

• Haha
Reactions: RC1970
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
  • Haha
Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What do you mean by saying "here's an example" and then you ask a question? Do you believe R.C. Sproul. J.I. Packer, Michael Horton, Charles Hodge, B.B. Warfield and others caricarture Classical Calvinism?

Are you one of these people? Are you a Calvinist? If, not can you explain Covenant Theology? That's my example.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Sure, but that doesn't mean what you believe is true. You seem to have insulated yourself in a room of relativism where proofs don't exist and Calvinism is invincible.
You missed the point.

• Agree
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Well, if you took God's law in the wrong way, applying it to yourself as a burden then you were not taking the gospel message in the right way. Only God knows where your understanding was, but possibly you were not actually saved and free in Christ. Actually the law of Christ, as opposed to the OT law, elevates the bar, yet it is fulfilled in Him and that gives a believer peace and rest. ( Matt. 11:28)

Have you read the book of Galatians?

Do you think that Christians are regenerated and then have perfect theology and practice?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Here's your problem: you're looking at a Baptist confession rather than a Reformed confession. Close but no cigar.
It is a Reformed confession.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Just curious were you raised in a Christian home and church?

I was raised in the Roman Church, and God called me to Himself when I was 17. From there I was in an Evangelical Free Church, which taught, like most non-reformed churches, a very moralistic Christianity.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are not reading correctly. I do believe in the sovereignty of God as the scriptures reveal,

Then you disagree with Romans 9.

but not "sovereignty" as defined by Calvinism.

Here again, read what John Calvin wrote.

Just as you have a sovereign right as parent of your children to raise them either good or evil, God has this right as well.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you read the book of Galatians?

Do you think that Christians are regenerated and then have perfect theology and practice?
Yes, I have read Galatians. Why should I think regenerated Christians then have perfect theology and practice? I don't. Although, I often wonder what Calvinists think about this. After all, if God irresistibly draws the elect to salvation why then doesn't He apply the same irresistible grace to sanctification?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Here again, read what John Calvin wrote.

Just as you have a sovereign right as parent of your children to raise them either good or evil, God has this right as well.

God Bless

Till all are one.

It's even stronger than that. We just borrow our kids. He owns us and our kids.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I have read Galatians. Why should I think regenerated Christians then have perfect theology and practice? I don't. Although, I often wonder what Calvinists think about this. After all, if God irresistibly draws the elect to salvation why then doesn't He apply the same irresistible grace to sanctification?

He does.

However, He also uses means. He does not zap sin out of us. He brings us through a process of coming to the end of ourselves.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I asked what the Bible says about election. This says passage nothing about election.

The clear message of Scripture from Genesis to Revelation is that all mankind have been “chosen to salvation” by God who would “have all men to be saved...” (1 Tm 2:4), who is “the Savior of all men, especially of those that believe” (4:10), and whose Son “gave himself a ransom for all” (2:6). The fact that one has been “chosen” to salvation does not mean that one has been elected or predestined for heaven, but that one is a sinner, and according to the scriptures, all sinners have the opportunity to believe the gospel and be saved, which most refuse to do.

The same biblical truth is demonstrated also in Israel: “The Lord your God has chosen you to be a special people unto himself...” (Deut 7:6). That “choosing” did not automatically mean that every physical descendant of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob was elected to salvation.
But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the firstfruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.

Why give thanks to God if He really didn't choose them?

This is typical of synergists when presented with texts that give support for Reformed theology. Instead of addressing the text, often we get "yeah but" responses. And those are usually snippets of scripture thrown together to make a semblance of an argument, but really aren't one.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You are right...fruit of the Spirit.

One "s" - one letter makes a theological difference. That's why, if an Arminian would carefully looked at his holy trinity of proof texts, he would see that they don't mean what he thought they did.

Give it a shot.

Upvote 0