The BIBLE only is the standard for truth... (3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sculleywr

Orthodox Colitis Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Abraham is not a brother in Christ. Apostle Paul did not tell us all to call him 'father'.

Jesus tells us that we are all brothers. Brothers do not call each other 'father'.
So Abraham did not get to go to heaven? Abraham is in hell now?

All who are in heaven are our brothers in Christ, because they, through the sacrifice of Christ, are in Christ.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Abraham is not a brother in Christ. Apostle Paul did not tell us all to call him 'father'.

Jesus tells us that we are all brothers. Brothers do not call each other 'father'.

Oh, Abraham is not a brother in Christ. What is he? Was Christ not present in the OT since He's God? Didn't say Apostle Paul told us to call him father. I said Timothy called him father. What of my favorite Apostle, St. John? You left him out.

ETA: John's words: John 6:31 "Our forefathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written: 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.'"

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, went up before God out of the angel's hand.
Rev 8:4

When He had taken the book, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

Rev 5:8

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, went up before God out of the angel's hand.

When He had taken the book, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

:thumbsup: Thank you, topcare.

Upvote 0

THIS

I only want God's Truth
Apr 22, 2014
Hidden with Christ in God, see Colossians 3:3.
✟1,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=&quot]What false doctrines would those be?
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Read about them in the posts I have been writing in this thread.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You have a lot of misunderstanding about the ancient Church.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Don’t make excuses why you will not obey God.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Again, what false doctrines? Do you realize the decision to use the Bible as sole authority is a man-made teaching, not of the Apostolic teaching from the beginning? Should I call that a false doctrine that the bible is the sole authority?
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have already proven with scripture that we are only to use the written Word and not go beyond what is written.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wow. I'm sorry, THIS, but you speak about something you know nothing about. Burning incense represents our prayers to God in heaven. Check of Revelation, I think it's chapter 20, but my memory isn't that good, but it's in there.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As usual, you deny the scriptures and merely say you disagree.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
When we are incensed, it's recognizing Christ in the person whether standing in the nave or written on an icon depicting that person (family member who came before us) and things that are holy of God. That's what it means.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]God does not say you can bow to the works of your hand, and incense things as long as you are recognizing Christ. You are making excuses why you will not obey.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Again, I see you have ignored Malachi. I'll help you out. Here:

Malachi 1:11 "For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same, my name is great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense is offered unto my name, and a clean offering; for my name is great among the Gentiles, said the LORD of the hosts."
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have not done as you accuse me. I have not ignored any scripture.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Have you heard of strange fire? I suggest you study it intently.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Leviticus 10:1 Aaron's sons Nadab and Abihu took their censers, put fire in them and added incense; and they offered unauthorized fire before the LORD, contrary to his command.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
[FONT=&quot]I have already proven with scripture that we are only to use the written Word and not go beyond what is written.[/FONT]

Nope, there is no where in Scripture that it tells anyone to follow it alone. That is a man made tradition

Upvote 0

THIS

I only want God's Truth
Apr 22, 2014
✟1,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So Abraham did not get to go to heaven? Abraham is in hell now?

All who are in heaven are our brothers in Christ, because they, through the sacrifice of Christ, are in Christ.

You speak nonsense. How can you even utter such things as saying Abraham is in hell now?

Abraham was called a father to all who believe.

Jesus was not speaking to Abraham when he said we are brothers in Christ.

Jesus was speaking to his disciples about each other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

THIS

I only want God's Truth
Apr 22, 2014
✟1,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope, there is no where in Scripture that it tells anyone to follow it alone. That is a man made tradition

You are denying God's Word.

Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you. Deuteronomy 4:2

Deuteronomy 5:32 So be careful to do what the LORD your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left.

“Every word of God is flawless:

he is a shield to those who take refuge

in him.

Do not add to his words,

or he will rebuke you and prove you a

liar.

Proverbs 30:5-6

We are exhorted to check out teaching against Scripture (Isaiah 8:20; Acts 17:11.)

The Bereans of Acts 17:11, “examining the Scriptures daily, to see whether these things were so.”

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to the word, they have no light of dawn.

Revelation 22:18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.

Upvote 0

THIS

I only want God's Truth
Apr 22, 2014
✟1,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, Abraham is not a brother in Christ. What is he? Was Christ not present in the OT since He's God? Didn't say Apostle Paul told us to call him father. I said Timothy called him father. What of my favorite Apostle, St. John? You left him out.

ETA: John's words: John 6:31 "Our forefathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written: 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.'"
John's words from God rebuke you.

John is speaking about FOREFATHERS. Jesus was telling his disciples not to call each other 'father' that they are brothers.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
[/font]
[FONT=&quot]Read about them in the posts I have been writing in this thread.[/FONT]

Nice dodge. But no. I'm not reading something if I am not given a direct link to it. I'm not going to go on a wild goose chase to prove your argument.
[/font]
[FONT="]Don’t make excuses why you will not obey God.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

From the forum rules on flaming and harrassment:
● Stating or implying that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christian is not allowed.
● Be considerate and do not make another member's experience on this site miserable. This includes making false accusations or persistently attacking them in the open forums.
You are not God. This is my only warning. Further accusations of other Christians will be reported.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[/font]
[FONT="]I have already proven with scripture that we are only to use the written Word and not go beyond what is written.[/FONT]

No, sir, you have not. You have stated as such, but Scripture does not rule out Tradition. Scripture specifically commands us to follow both written Tradition AND oral Tradition.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[/font]
[FONT="]As usual, you deny the scriptures and merely say you disagree.[/FONT]

From the forum rules on flaming and harrassment:
● Stating or implying that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christian is not allowed.
● Be considerate and do not make another member's experience on this site miserable. This includes making false accusations or persistently attacking them in the open forums.
You are not God. This is my only warning. Further accusations of other Christians will be reported.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[/font]
[FONT="]God does not say you can bow to the works of your hand, and incense things as long as you are recognizing Christ. You are making excuses why you will not obey.[/FONT]

God commanded men to bow before the works of men in the bronze snake.

[/font]
[FONT=&quot]I have not done as you accuse me. I have not ignored any scripture.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Have you heard of strange fire? I suggest you study it intently.[/FONT]
Leviticus 10:1 Aaron's sons Nadab and Abihu took their censers, put fire in them and added incense; and they offered unauthorized fire before the LORD, contrary to his command.
Let my prayer arise as INCENSE before You, and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice.

How about some verse flogging:

Leviticus 16:12-13 ESV / 34 helpful votes

And he shall take a censer full of coals of fire from the altar before the Lord, and two handfuls of sweet incense beaten small, and he shall bring it inside the veil and put the incense on the fire before the Lord, that the cloud of the incense may cover the mercy seat that is over the testimony, so that he does not die.

Psalm 141:2 ESV / 25 helpful votes

Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice!

Leviticus 10:1-2 ESV / 13 helpful votes

Now Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, each took his censer and put fire in it and laid incense on it and offered unauthorized fire before the Lord, which he had not commanded them. And fire came out from before the Lord and consumed them, and they died before the Lord.

Malachi 1:11 ESV / 12 helpful votes

For from the rising of the sun to its setting my name will be great among the nations, and in every place incense will be offered to my name, and a pure offering. For my name will be great among the nations, says the Lord of hosts.

Exodus 40:1-38 ESV / 9 helpful votes

The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, “On the first day of the first month you shall erect the tabernacle of the tent of meeting. And you shall put in it the ark of the testimony, and you shall screen the ark with the veil. And you shall bring in the table and arrange it, and you shall bring in the lampstand and set up its lamps. And you shall put the golden altar for incense before the ark of the testimony, and set up the screen for the door of the tabernacle.

Isaiah 1:13 ESV / 8 helpful votes

Bring no more vain offerings; incense is an abomination to me. New moon and Sabbath and the calling of convocations— I cannot endure iniquity and solemn assembly.

Exodus 30:1-38 ESV / 7 helpful votes

“You shall make an altar on which to burn incense; you shall make it of acacia wood. A cubit shall be its length, and a cubit its breadth. It shall be square, and two cubits shall be its height. Its horns shall be of one piece with it. You shall overlay it with pure gold, its top and around its sides and its horns. And you shall make a molding of gold around it. And you shall make two golden rings for it. Under its molding on two opposite sides of it you shall make them, and they shall be holders for poles with which to carry it. You shall make the poles of acacia wood and overlay them with gold.

Exodus 32:1-35 ESV / 5 helpful votes

When the people saw that Moses delayed to come down from the mountain, the people gathered themselves together to Aaron and said to him, “Up, make us gods who shall go before us. As for this Moses, the man who brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him.” So Aaron said to them, “Take off the rings of gold that are in the ears of your wives, your sons, and your daughters, and bring them to me.” So all the people took off the rings of gold that were in their ears and brought them to Aaron. And he received the gold from their hand and fashioned it with a graving tool and made a golden calf. And they said, “These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt!” When Aaron saw this, he built an altar before it. And Aaron made proclamation and said, “Tomorrow shall be a feast to the Lord.”

Proverbs 28:12 ESV / 4 helpful votes

When the righteous triumph, there is great glory, but when the wicked rise, people hide themselves.

Hebrews 9:4 ESV / 3 helpful votes

Having the golden altar of incense and the ark of the covenant covered on all sides with gold, in which was a golden urn holding the manna, and Aaron's staff that budded, and the tablets of the covenant.

Exodus 40:34-38 ESV / 2 helpful votes

Then the cloud covered the tent of meeting, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. And Moses was not able to enter the tent of meeting because the cloud settled on it, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. Throughout all their journeys, whenever the cloud was taken up from over the tabernacle, the people of Israel would set out. But if the cloud was not taken up, then they did not set out till the day that it was taken up. For the cloud of the Lord was on the tabernacle by day, and fire was in it by night, in the sight of all the house of Israel throughout all their journeys.

Exodus 31:17 ESV / 2 helpful votes

It is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.’”

Exodus 20:1-26 ESV / 1 helpful vote

And God spoke all these words, saying, “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. “You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me,

Exodus 15:1-27 ESV / 1 helpful vote

Then Moses and the people of Israel sang this song to the Lord, saying, “I will sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea. The Lord is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him. The Lord is a man of war; the Lord is his name. “Pharaoh's chariots and his host he cast into the sea, and his chosen officers were sunk in the Red Sea. The floods covered them; they went down into the depths like a stone.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others

Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you. Deuteronomy 4:2

Deuteronomy 5:32 So be careful to do what the LORD your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left.

in him.

Do not add to his words,

liar.

We are exhorted to check out teaching against Scripture (Isaiah 8:20; Acts 17:11.)

The Bereans of Acts 17:11, “examining the Scriptures daily, to see whether these things were so.”

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to the word, they have no light of dawn.

Revelation 22:18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.

You're adding to Scripture. Because you have a canon of Scripture.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

in him.

Do not add to his words,

liar.

Absolutely no where does it say in any of those verses to follow Scripture alone. The Bereans are not the best model to follow they were trying to disprove Paul, not support him.

Your tradition of man may follow Scripture alone, but nothing tells us we must do that

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
You speak nonsense. How can you even utter such things as saying Abraham is in hell now?

Abraham was called a father to all who believe.

Jesus was not speaking to Abraham when he said we are brothers in Christ.

Jesus was speaking to his disciples about each other.

If Abraham is in heaven, he is a brother in Christ.

But now you limit it, and only the Apostles are commanded to call no man father, about eachother. You have something there against the papacy, but you don't have squat against the priesthood.

If Jesus is talking to the Apostles directly, then we need not worry, for we are not the Apostles.

Upvote 0

THIS

I only want God's Truth
Apr 22, 2014
✟1,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God did not tell you to incense icons and other people.

You better read about strange fire too.

Read about what happened to Aaron's sons for doing what God did not tell them to do.

Leviticus 10:2 So fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed them, and they died before the LORD.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God did not tell you to incense icons and other people.

You better read about strange fire too.

Read about what happened to Aaron's sons for doing what God did not tell them to do.

Leviticus 10:2 So fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed them, and they died before the LORD.
God did not tell you anything either. God did not leave you in charge

Reactions: sculleywr
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.