• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

The Bible, Neuroscience and Aspergers

TNF_13

Sep 17, 2017
Minnesota
Visit site
✟28,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I know of no situations in which that has happened. I am, however, aware of a man who had some kind of magnetic therapy done on his brain that achieved much the same, ruining his marriage in the process. His op-ed made it appear not at all worth pursuing. John Elder Robinson, if memory serves.

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if you only want A&A people to respond, if so ignore me.

Neuro-plasticity is a thing. Medical Definition of Neuroplasticity

Most studies regarding spiritual life causing neuroplasticity focus on prolonged meditation. Some Christians use the Holy Scriptures as meditation.

Spiritual practices have shown definite neuroanatomical and neurochemical changes in the few studies that have been conducted so far to explore the neurobiology of such phenomenon. The evidence has been drawn mainly from studies that have examined meditation. However, they are replete with investigational constraints, methodological errors, small sample size and the results of many of the studies have not been replicated. There is need for further exploration of many of the prevalent spiritual/religious practices to clearly elucidate the neural correlates of the positive and negative effects they produce on physical and mental health.

Take Home Message
Meditative practices have a positive impact on mental health. The neurobiological correlates during meditation partly explain the beneficial role. Meditative practices may augment psychotherapeutic interventions.
Neurobiology of Spirituality

For a simpler take on things simply google 'neuroplasticity prayer meditation' there are many articles no doubt all based on the few same studies.
In other news, with God all things are possible!

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Clintpauljohnson

Sep 10, 2017
windsor
✟29,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you chosen and blessed. I relate with Aspergers over my other diagnoses of schizo-affective bi polar and adhd. I feel in my heart of hearts that I can either change things in my brain or at least learn to accept my diagnoses and control any negative symptoms.

I hope to one day be healed of schizo-affective bi polar and then work at accepting my Aspergers and adhd as being the equivalent to being left handed in a right handed world.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Clintpauljohnson

Sep 10, 2017
windsor
✟29,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's like dna symbiotic reshuffling? Or micro evolution aka adaptation? It does exist and is real. We have everything in us to heal our own brains through our Lord and Savior. We just have to believe, and in some cases do, things to change the brain. We also have to be realistic. This is where I have trouble with correlation of what is and not possible.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am autistic and believe in prayer, healing and deliverance. I believe that auties can be delivered from the same kinds of spiritual junk as NTs. But at the end of the day, we will still be autistics, though squeaky clean autistics!

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
if you're willing to put in the work to change yourself you can absolutely do it. the LORD could indeed change someone in an instant, but usually He allows people to overcome certain things by working at it in order to build their character.

Upvote 0

BryanJohnMaloney

Jun 15, 2017
Carmel
✟26,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was wondering if anyone believes the brains ability to adapt and rewire. Can the Bible's word change the human brain and ultimately alter neural pathways, chemicals and connections.

Can it? It does so all the time. That being said, that is not the same as saying it "cures autism"--autism needs no "cure".

Upvote 0