Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wholeheartedly agree with that. Just so nobody misinterprets what I was saying, I don't believe the lie that The Bible is the "perfect" in "when that which is perfect is come".

This is not your OP topic, but since you yourself brought it up, the bible IS indeed that which is perfect.

Jesus is not a "that". It quite obviously refers to the bible which was not completed until 95-96 AD. 1 Corinthians was written about 55 AD.

Also the context of the subject being talked about was about miraculous gifts, not Jesus.

When "that which is perfect" (the bible-aka God's word 2 Timothy 3:16-17) "then that which is in part" (the miraculous different gifts like tongues, prophecy, etc) will vanish away.

Well, John, the last apostle, and therefore the LAST man to be able to lay hands and pass on miraculous gifts, died shortly after the book of Revelation (the LAST book of the bible written), and therefore there are no more miraculous gifts to this day.

NO ONE has ANY of the gifts these days like the apostles had and any of the people they laid hands on.

So, in conclusion,
with the context being in part about miraculous gifts in 1 Cor. 13,

the last book being finished in around 96 AD,

John the last apostle capable of laying hands to pass on gifts dying shortly after the bibles completion,

No miraculous gifts to speak of to this very day,

The bible being God's word 2 Timothy 3:16-17,

One can only be left with the conclusion that "that which is perfect" refers to the bible (God's perfect written word)
and does NOT refer to Christ's second coming since that was in no way at all the context of that scripture.

Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0

Karola

Oct 7, 2018
Munich
✟12,045.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Also the context of the subject being talked about was about miraculous gifts, not Jesus.

When "that which is perfect" (the bible-aka God's word 2 Timothy 3:16-17) "then that which is in part" (the miraculous different gifts like tongues, prophecy, etc) will vanish away.

You forgot knowledge in your reference, that will also pass away when perfection comes

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You forgot knowledge in your reference, that will also pass away when perfection comes

The "etc" I placed refers to ALL the other gifts I didn't mention.

By your use of it, I might need to explain and see where you are at in this.

Knowledge as in the things that Paul knew about, since he was guided by the Holy Spirit, so that he could do all the things he done.

Now we have the scripture, the complete bible since it has been finished since 96 AD. We have all we need to know for our salvation and remaining faithful for eternal life. We don't need a Paul or Peter to go around helping us, we have the bible, God's perfect word.

• Winner
Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0

Karola

Oct 7, 2018
Munich
✟12,045.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The "etc" I placed refers to ALL the other gifts I didn't mention.

By your use of it, I might need to explain and see where you are at in this.

Knowledge as in the things that Paul knew about, since he was guided by the Holy Spirit, so that he could do all the things he done.

Now we have the scripture, the complete bible since it has been finished since 96 AD. We have all we need to know for our salvation and remaining faithful for eternal life. We don't need a Paul or Peter to go around helping us, we have the bible, God's perfect word.
Paul was quite clear, knowledge would pass away when perfection came.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul was quite clear, knowledge would pass away when perfection came.

Yes, and the context was about miraculous gifts, not common place issues.

So with that said, what kind of knowledge is a miraculous gift and what kind is not? Explain the difference please.

Upvote 0

Karola

Oct 7, 2018
Munich
✟12,045.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, and the context was about miraculous gifts, not common place issues.

So with that said, what kind of knowledge is a miraculous gift and what kind is not? Explain the difference please.
Here is the quote:
But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears

Knowledge is mentioned alongside prophecies and tongues.

Upvote 0

Karola

Oct 7, 2018
Munich
✟12,045.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Lets continue on further:

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

Paul is speaking of Heaven, when heaven comes

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Obviously "the Book" doesn't say anything about itself, because at the time the various texts were written, no-one had any idea that three centuries later the Catholic Church would gather some of its early writings into a book. But we do know that those writings, this book, are the inspired Word of God because the one Church Jesus Christ founded, to which He promised "The Holy Spirit will guide you into All truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me", says they are.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is the quote:
But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears

Knowledge is mentioned alongside prophecies and tongues.

Well, I must be going. I appreciate your time with me. Before I go, to leave a thought....

The apostle is plainly speaking of miraculous gifts, and therefore of knowledge to be had out of the common way (see chapter 14:6 i believe ), a knowledge of mysteries supernaturally communicated. Such knowledge was to vanish away. This way of knowing is to vanish away, though the knowledge itself, once acquired, will not be lost.

And because the context focuses the comparison of love to those gifts, they don't hold a candle to love.

There is more to say but I must go now. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Karola

Oct 7, 2018
Munich
✟12,045.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Well, I must be going. I appreciate your time with me. Before I go, to leave a thought....

The apostle is plainly speaking of miraculous gifts, and therefore of knowledge to be had out of the common way (see chapter 14:6 i believe ), a knowledge of mysteries supernaturally communicated. Such knowledge was to vanish away. This way of knowing is to vanish away, though the knowledge itself, once acquired, will not be lost.

And because the context focuses the comparison of love to those gifts, they don't hold a candle to love.

There is more to say but I must go now. Thank you.
Thank you also:

But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part(knowledge) and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part(knowledge); then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

There will be no need for ''knowledge'' in heaven as we need knowledge now, for we will know fully even as we are fully known. Now we do need knowledge, knowledge of the Gospel, knowledge/understanding of the bible, knowledge of how to follow the Christian walk, but such knowledge will not be needed in heaven, for then our eyes will fully be opened to a knowledge we will not need as we do now, then we will know fully, even as we are fully known

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In 2 Timothy 3:16, "inspired" can be translated as God "breathed". As God breathed life into man, He also breathed His thoughts and plan into some 40 prophets who wrote it down exactly word for word not leaving one out jot or tittle. Every truth, every concept and story, whether historical, poetic, literal or symbolic, having both common and deep spiritual meanings, were ALL written down completely and sufficiently to express Who God is, who we are, our origin, history, how we are to live and where we are going. Since Jesus is the source of truth, the Word of God, which is to say the exact expression of God, comes from Him, and since it's all about Jesus, the Messiah, the Savior Who takes away the sins of the world, the Word, the expression of God enters into your heart and transforms it - the paper and pages remain in a book form as God's message to us.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where in the Bible does it say that "The Book" is the "Word of God"?

I see where Jesus Christ is the Word of God.
I see where God speaks the Word of God within the Bible.
I can see a declaration of historical facts as considered The Word of God.

But, where does it say that The Bible is the Word of God?

First, it is something that is spiritually discerned.

A person has to be born again by both the Spirit and water.

Water = the Word of God (i.e. the Bible).

“...the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.” (John 6:63).

“Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.” (John 6:68).

23 “Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.” (1 Peter 1:23-25).

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” (Romans 10:17).

“The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.“ (Psalms 119:130).

“Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.” (James 1:18).

21 “Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.”
(James 1:21-22).

God’s words are spiritual and they can give life. They lead us to Him. For there would be no faith without the Holy Bible. It is holy. The Bible has proven itself to be of divine origin that points us to Jesus. In the Parable of the Sower the seed that men receive from the sower (Jesus) are the words of God (the gospel message of salvation).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Second, there are many evidences that back up God's Word (the Bible) as being holy, perfect, and divine in origin. No other book (besides the Holy Bible) claims to be the Word of God and has the credentials to back up that claim.

Check out my Blogger Article here on the many evidences that back up God's Word (the Bible) as being divine in origin and or true.

Love Branch: Evidences for the Word of God

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"And that from a child you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise unto salvation through faith which is in Jesus Christ. All Scripture is given by the inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect/complete, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." (2 Tim 3:15-17)

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The Same was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him; and without Him was not anything made that was made. (John 1:1-3)

I agree with all these Scriptures! I also understand that the living Word of God, Jesus Christ, is much bigger than the written Word we call the Bible. John even said:

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that you might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you might have life through His Name." (John 20:30-1) "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen" (John 21:25)

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life."--Jesus (John 6:63)

I don't refute the value of Scripture--even words that are spoken in error by men and just shared by God as part of an honest testimony.

But, if God doesn't accept what Job's friends say about Him, should we? OR should we learn from what they said (according to God's honest testimony of even errors spoken about Him) and God's chastisement that it wasn't correct, and not do what they did?

Sometimes we don't mean what we say, because we don't think through the implications of what we are saying. I am not de-valuing Scripture at all. I love Scripture. I believe that All our Scripture (writings in the Bible) are Inspired by God and that includes Him honestly sharing what men--who have not spoken correctly--have said about Him.

You wouldn’t know about Jesus without the written Word. There are also false Christ’s. How would you know about them without the written Word telling you how to avoid them?

Faith comes by hearing the Word of God.
No Bible = No faith.
You can’t just say you have Jesus if the version of Jesus you heard about did not come from the Bible.

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Jesus is the torah made flesh. The torah is the first five books of every bible. Genesis - Deuteronomy. If anything, those are the word of God. So are all the words written by the prophets, because it constantly says the word of God given to so-and-so prophet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But, the written word isn't always "The Word of God" in that sometimes people say stuff about God and/or a situation and what they said is shared in the Bible, but not intended to be an authoritative declaration--because it is an error they spoke that is recorded. For instance, what Job's friends say.

An honest and true testimony is what God presents in Scripture, but not all of what is in Scripture represents Him correctly. It is imperative to know what is the Word of God and what is a false voice speaking about God within the confines of Scripture. That was my point, unless someone could invalidate that with a Scripture I am missing.

No. It is still a God breathed message that is holy and has spiritual meaning on levels that your mind cannot fully know yet. All of it. All of Scripture is given by inspiration by God.

Even the genealogies are not by some random accident. They there by divine order.

EVERYTHING.

The whole book.

Every word in the Bible is by God’s design or order. It is called the HOLY Bible and not the holey bible (Whereby if is full of holes or errors). It is the perfect Word of God. The Bible is a masterpiece. The Bible is a reflection of His perfect character.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"And that from a child you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise unto salvation through faith which is in Jesus Christ. All Scripture is given by the inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect/complete, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." (2 Tim 3:15-17)

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The Same was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him; and without Him was not anything made that was made. (John 1:1-3)

I agree with all these Scriptures! I also understand that the living Word of God, Jesus Christ, is much bigger than the written Word we call the Bible. John even said:

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that you might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you might have life through His Name." (John 20:30-1) "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen" (John 21:25)

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life."--Jesus (John 6:63)

I don't refute the value of Scripture--even words that are spoken in error by men and just shared by God as part of an honest testimony.

But, if God doesn't accept what Job's friends say about Him, should we? OR should we learn from what they said (according to God's honest testimony of even errors spoken about Him) and God's chastisement that it wasn't correct, and not do what they did?

Sometimes we don't mean what we say, because we don't think through the implications of what we are saying. I am not de-valuing Scripture at all. I love Scripture. I believe that All our Scripture (writings in the Bible) are Inspired by God and that includes Him honestly sharing what men--who have not spoken correctly--have said about Him.

No. Christ quotes Scripture as an authority:

In all Jesus' teachings He referred to the divine authority of the Old Testament (Matthew 5:17-18; Matthew 8:17;Matthew 12:40-42; Luke 4:18-21; Luke 10:25-28; Luke 15:29-31; Luke 17:32; Luke 24:25-45; John 5:39-47). He quoted the Old Testament 78 times, the Pentateuch alone 26 times. He quoted from Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Psalms, Proverbs, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Amos, Jonah, Micah, and Malachi. He referred to the Old Testament as “The Scriptures,” “the word of God,” and “the wisdom of God.” Jesus defeated the devil by using Scripture. For three words, "It is written" was said 3 times by Jesus in Matthew 4:1-11. This is confirmed by Ephesians 6 with how the Sword of the Spirit is the Word of God which is a part of putting on the armor of God so that one can stand against the wiles of the devil (Ephesians 6:11, 16). For the Living Word (Jesus) is like a two edged sword that divides asunder the soul and the spirit because He always speaks the words of God because He is God (Hebrews 4:12).

Jesus says that the Scriptures testify of Him. So to say that Jesus is bigger than the Bible is inaccurate because the very Scriptures themselves tells us about Jesus and how to obey Him.

Upvote 0

Pneuma3

Apr 12, 2006
✟54,054.00
Faith
Christian
You wouldn’t know about Jesus without the written Word. There are also false Christ’s. How would you know about them without the written Word telling you how to avoid them?

Faith comes by hearing the Word of God.
No Bible = No faith.
You can’t just say you have Jesus if the version of Jesus you heard about did not come from the Bible.

Nonsense, the heavens declare his glory.

You make it sound like God does not speak with people today only via the bible.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wholeheartedly agree with you! That was my point.

There are people who quote from sections of the Book of Job that God denounces in later chapters. They quote as if they are speaking the Word of God. But they are speaking the errant words of men within the Word of God. I think it is incredibly important we know whether the inspired Word, as shared in full context, is to be attributed to a man in error or a godly man truly inspired to say what He said or God Himself.

And Jesus didn't quote jezebel's words. He quoted God's Words. Jezebel's words, though recorded in Scripture, do not have life in them. God's Words have life, never return void, are watched over to be preformed, and inspire faith.

That’s a very interesting observation. Thanks for bringing that to light. God bless:)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nonsense, the heavens declare his glory.

You make it sound like God does not speak with people today only via the bible.

While that is true that the Heavens declare the existence of God and His glory, they don't exactly tell you the plan about Jesus Christ and how to be saved through Him. They do not teach you how to follow and obey Jesus, either. So no. Not the same thing. Faith does not come by the heavens, but faith comes by hearing the Word of God. Big difference there.

Upvote 0