The Bible is the Word of God. Ok, but how do you know that?

Why do you believe your Bible is the Word of God?

• I don't really know, I always accepted it for granted.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
you stated...

"Not only do church traditions contradict the Bible, but these evidences do not exist for church traditions. But those who want church traditions to be true and who bend over backwards to prove that they are true will of course never see what I am talking about here."

which i am in agreement with as i have found all the doctrines which have come out of organized religion to be false ... and everything is about Gods law which is not separate from who He is ... the whole bible speaks to it from cover to cover ...

The question of the thread is how do we know the Bible is the Word of God. My answer is that it is:

(a) Revelation
(b) Experience of Change in one's own life.
(c) Evidences that back up the Bible as being divine in origin.

I imagine those who hold to church traditions believe these traditions are also commands from God. So they are not in denial of God's commands. The question arises as to how do we know the difference in determining the truth. For God told Adam and Eve to not eat of the knowledge of the tree of good and evil. God gave many unique commands that might seem odd to us. So I do not see that as the decoder key of determining the Bible as being the Word of God. Granted, I love God's commands in the New Covenant, and I believe they should be taught more, but I do not see them as how we know the Scriptures as being true. Yes, I believe the Moral Laws in God's Word can show forth that they are true and good and beneficial for all (Thereby adding one link in the chain of the trustworthiness of the Bible). But we have to take into account other commands, as well (When we refer to God's commands) like the Lord's supper (Which is a ceremonial command).

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,344.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The question of the thread is how do we know the Bible is the Word of God. My answer is that it is:

(a) Revelation
(b) Experience of Change in one's own life.
(c) Evidences that back up the Bible as being divine in origin.

I imagine those who hold to church traditions believe these traditions are also commands from God. So they are not in denial of God's commands. The question arises as to how do we know the difference in determining the truth. For God told Adam and Eve to not eat of the knowledge of the tree of good and evil. God gave many unique commands that might seem odd to us. So I do not see that as the decoder key of determining the Bible as being the Word of God. Granted, I love God's commands in the New Covenant, and I believe they should be taught more, but I do not see them as how we know the Scriptures are true. Yes, I believe the Moral Laws in God's Word can show forth that they are true and good and beneficial for all. But we have to take into account other commands, as well (When we refer to God's commands).

God has but one law which at this time is being written in us, which relates to identity ... anyway what i have to say is not easily heard for to hear it you must keep His law, which both Jesus and Paul referenced ... for me all doubt has been removed pertaining to the scriptures being inspired by God understanding the Bible is a collection of books about a process happening within us ....

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
All Christians believe that the book they hold in their hands and that has the word 'Bible' printed on it is the Word of God, inspired and infallibly true. But not all Christians believe this for the same reason. Furthermore, not all Christians have the same Bible. Some have more books than others, some have shorter books, some even have different words added that change the meaning of what is written. Which begs the question, how do you know that your Bible is the Word of God? How would you explain this to a non-believer?

Some may try and avoid the question by answering "because the Bible says it is God's Word." Sure, but so does the Koran, or the book of Mormons. Why then do we not accept them as the Word of God as well?

Some may say "because I feel it is God's Word." That's nice, but if you think the Christian faith is reasonable, then there must be a rationale behind it.

The Bible itself admonishes us to "always be ready to give a reason for the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:15). Can you give a good reason why you believe the Bible is the Word of God?
At the end of the day Christians believe scripture is the word of God because he has called them to faith and they believe in and have faith in what he said. Sure, his word says that it is God breathed. It is only through faith that we know this to be true.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God has but one law which at this time is being written in us, which relates to identity ... anyway what i have to say is not easily heard for to hear it you must keep His law, which both Jesus and Paul referenced ... for me all doubt has been removed pertaining to the scriptures being inspired by God understanding the Bible is a collection of books about a process happening within us ....

There are many commands given to us in the New Covenant, and not just one. For starters: Here are a list of...

New Testament Commands That Are Called A Command:

1. “Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord, and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength: this is the first commandment.” (Mark 12:29-30 gives us the full complete description of the 1st greatest commandment in the Bible).

2. “And the second is like, namely this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:31).

3. And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. (1 John 3:23).

4. “Repent” (i.e. Seek forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ) (Acts of the Apostles 17:30 says, “God… now commands all men everywhere to repent”).

5. A new commandment I give unto you, That you love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if you have love one to another (John 13:34-35).

6. “Watch” (“For the Son of man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the doorkeeper to watch. Watch you therefore: for you know not when the Master of the house comes,...” - See: Mark 13:33-37).

7. “Honor your father and mother” (God commanded, saying, Honor your father and mother - Matthew 15:4, Matthew 19:19, Mark 10:19, Luke 18:20) (Ephesians 6:2-3 says “Honour your father and mother (which is the first commandment attached with a promise).

8. Tell the women to keep silent in the churches. For it is not permitted unto them to speak, but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also says the law; And if they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is a shame for women to speak in the church (1 Corinthians 14:34-35).

9. Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother who walks disorderly (2 Thessalonians 3:6).

10. Keep the following commandment without spot, unrebukable, until the appearance of our Lord Jesus Christ: Fight the good fight of faith, and lay hold on eternal life, whereby you are called, and have professed a good profession before many witnesses (1 Timothy 6:12-14).

11. Keep the commandments (Matthew 19:17) (Note: The young rich ruler asked, which ones (i.e. which commands should he keep); Jesus replied, “Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” (Matthew 19:18-19) (Jesus also said as a part of these commands, “If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor,” - Matthew 19:21).

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,344.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are many commands given to us in the New Covenant, and not just one. For starters: Here are a list of...

New Testament Commands That Are Called A Command:

1. “Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord, and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength: this is the first commandment.” (Mark 12:29-30 gives us the full complete description of the 1st greatest commandment in the Bible).

2. “And the second is like, namely this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:31).

3. And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. (1 John 3:23).

4. “Repent” (i.e. Seek forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ) (Acts of the Apostles 17:30 says, “God… now commands all men everywhere to repent”).

5. A new commandment I give unto you, That you love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if you have love one to another (John 13:34-35).

6. “Watch” (“For the Son of man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the doorkeeper to watch. Watch you therefore: for you know not when the Master of the house comes,...” - See: Mark 13:33-37).

7. “Honor your father and mother” (God commanded, saying, Honor your father and mother - Matthew 15:4, Matthew 19:19, Mark 10:19, Luke 18:20) (Ephesians 6:2-3 says “Honour your father and mother (which is the first commandment attached with a promise).

8. Tell the women to keep silent in the churches. For it is not permitted unto them to speak, but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also says the law; And if they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is a shame for women to speak in the church (1 Corinthians 14:34-35).

9. Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother who walks disorderly (2 Thessalonians 3:6).

10. Keep the following commandment without spot, unrebukable, until the appearance of our Lord Jesus Christ: Fight the good fight of faith, and lay hold on eternal life, whereby you are called, and have professed a good profession before many witnesses (1 Timothy 6:12-14).

11. Keep the commandments (Matthew 19:17) (Note: The young rich ruler asked, which ones (i.e. which commands should he keep); Jesus replied, “Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” (Matthew 19:18-19) (Jesus also said as a part of these commands, “If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor,” - Matthew 19:21).

should you love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind then you obey His law ... or do you think one is able to do this as well as murder and steel ?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
should you love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind then you obey His law ... or do you think one is able to do this as well as murder and steel ?

I am aware of Romans 13:8-10. But I believe Paul was trying to get folks out from under the Jewish way of thinking in tryng to go back to the Old Law to be saved. He was basically saying that one can will naturally in most cases keep the Moral Law (Like: Do not steal, do not covet, do not commit adultery) by loving one's neighbor. Think of the Moral Law as if there were just some of pieces of the puzzle in defining the two greatest commandments. Granted, there is more to it than that, but you missed the point I was trying to make in my previous post to you. You implied by your words that there is one command in the NT; But Scripture mentions there are several in the New Testament. Anyways, whether you agree or not, I am not sure what this discussion has to do with the topic of the OP.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All Christians believe that the book they hold in their hands and that has the word 'Bible' printed on it is the Word of God, inspired and infallibly true. But not all Christians believe this for the same reason. Furthermore, not all Christians have the same Bible. Some have more books than others, some have shorter books, some even have different words added that change the meaning of what is written. Which begs the question, how do you know that your Bible is the Word of God? How would you explain this to a non-believer?

Some may try and avoid the question by answering "because the Bible says it is God's Word." Sure, but so does the Koran, or the book of Mormons. Why then do we not accept them as the Word of God as well?

Some may say "because I feel it is God's Word." That's nice, but if you think the Christian faith is reasonable, then there must be a rationale behind it.

The Bible itself admonishes us to "always be ready to give a reason for the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:15). Can you give a good reason why you believe the Bible is the Word of God?
Everyone is individual. For me, because every last thing I've tested (and some of them over and over because it was hard to believe the amazing results at first) proved to work better than all other ways. Not just 4 or 8 things. But all Christ said I could test, including many amazing ones. That would be a lot of luck for men without God to have all gotten right. Men would have made a mistake in some instruction somewhere...they would have something that doesn't work fully. But I couldn't find anything that doesn't work fully.

Upvote 0

Tradidi

Jul 3, 2020
Wanganui
✟2,614.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes the Bible says it is the word of God, but unlike other holy books the Bible meets the challenge of historical accuracy, of a consistent story dispute having many contributors, the challenge of telling the truth even when that embarrasses the principal characters.
This is going in the right direction, but skipping one important step.

What was the first thing history proved? What were the first eyewitnesses of history proving? Think back middle of the first century AD.

Did the Apostles prove the Bible was accurate? No, the Bible hadn't been written yet.

The Apostles proved that Jesus lived, died and rose from the dead. If Jesus could rise from the dead, then He must have been Who He claimed He was, the Son of God. And if He was the Son of God, then we better pay attention to everything else He said.

So what else did He say? Did He say "I will write a book and in this book you will find everything you need to know"? No, He did not say that. Instead, He said: "I will build my Church upon this Rock... if you listen to them you will listen to Me, if you reject them you will reject Me".

And to help those first Christians believe that these men were indeed the bishops of the Church, speaking on behalf of the Son of God, they performed many miracles. All this BEFORE anyone had the complete Bible as we know it today.

Then some 350 years later the Church declared: these books are inspired, these are not. And for this reason, and this reason only do we now have a Bible to believe in. Not because we gathered all possible writings of the first century ourselves, read them, searched them and decided for ourselves which one are inspired and which ones are not. No, the Church decided for us and we received the Bible from or through the Church's hands.

In summary, history proves that Jesus lived, died and rose from the dead. Jesus left us a Church, not a book. On Jesus' authority we believe what His Church teaches in Jesus' name, and we accept the book that the Church in Jesus' name has declared to be the written Word of God.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,344.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am aware of Romans 13:8-10. But I believe Paul was trying to get folks out from under the Jewish way of thinking in tryng to go back to the Old Law to be saved. He was basically saying that one can will naturally in most cases keep the Moral Law (Like: Do not steal, do not covet, do not commit adultery) by loving one's neighbor. Think of the Moral Law as if there were just some of pieces of the puzzle in defining the two greatest commandments. Granted, there is more to it than that, but you missed the point I was trying to make in my previous post to you. You implied by your words that there is one command in the NT; But Scripture mentions there are several in the New Testament. Anyways, whether you agree or not, I am not sure what this discussion has to do with the topic of the OP.

i said that God has but one law ... but never mind if you can not see this then you will fail to see how it has everything to do with everything ....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Humans were made in the image of God. It's only natural that we should recognize our Creator's voice, that voice of Truth, when we hear it. It's kind of a familial thing. Unless we're trying to hide from it, of course.
Well, there's that, too. :)

When I was far prodigal, about 28 or 30, and felt that pull to read what Christ had said, hear the words again, fully, fully in all the words, each one.

Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times."

My intellect thought: oh....there's a thing I can try out. I can do it and see what happens.

But my....soul, felt..."I want to hear each word, one at a time..."

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The fact that some have more or less books, chapters or verses mean little to me. These are choices of religious people. Generally the bulk of the information is the same across all Christian religions. Others substitute completely in order for their Bible to align with their particular interpretation or on some cases their cult.

To get to your primary question, why do I believe the Bible is the word of God. It has historical accuracy which helps greatly when it comes to believing. It also has a common thread although written over many generations by writers with different personal opinions. Now we have entered into the realm of not proof but why do you believe it is the Word of God. That requires faith. It is the record of both God's chosen people and the record of the Son of God, again another action of faith. If I believe those two then it is the next natural step to accept the record or the account as the Word which represents the God I serve. So your not going to get proof from me, just reasons or faith. Does it mean the Bible I read which does not contain some books is more accurate than one without them, no. I have read the other books and other books not contained in any scripture collection. These are the books most scholars can agree on.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Basically because of the personal contact that I've had with God. through his Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the copyright doesn't apply in the USA
Works published before 1922 are no longer protected by copyright in the US. The King James Bible is in the public domain. The World English Bible was published copyright free. The NIV Bible has some copyright restrictions.

According to Acts 15 we may not need to be circumcised as Gentiles, whether you think the Biblical commandment requiring circumcision is the word of God, or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Works published before 1922 are no longer protected by copyright in the US. The King James Bible is in the public domain. The World English Bible was published copyright free. The NIV Bible has some copyright restrictions.

According to Acts 15 we may not need to be circumcised as Gentiles, whether you think the Biblical commandment requiring circumcision is the word of God, or not.
lol, copyright law

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...Which begs the question, how do you know that your Bible is the Word of God?...

Reason why I believe God has influenced in the Bible is that I think it is too good to be just from people. People are evil and don’t know much and often hate the truth. Bible tells the truth about people, it has knowledge that I don’t think humans would have without God and it has goodness that I don’t think people would have without God. Also, if human invents something good, he takes the credit for himself and doesn’t give it to some “imaginary” being.

And teaching that I think is not from humans is for example the idea that we should love even our enemies.

But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.
Mat. 5:44-45

Knowledge that I think humans would not have without God are for example that Jews will be scattered and later gathered back, as we can nowadays see happening. Also, Bible gives good explanation for why earth looks this that we can today see.

I will scatter you among the nations, and I will draw out the sword after you: and your land will be a desolation, and your cities shall be a waste.
Leviticus 26:33

It shall happen, when all these things are come on you, the blessing and the curse, which I have set before you, and you shall call them to mind among all the nations, where Yahweh your God has driven you, and shall return to Yahweh your God, and shall obey his voice according to all that I command you this day, you and your children, with all your heart, and with all your soul; that then Yahweh your God will turn your captivity, and have compassion on you, and will return and gather you from all the peoples, where Yahweh your God has scattered you. If any of your outcasts are in the uttermost parts of the heavens, from there will Yahweh your God gather you, and from there will he bring you back:
Deuteronomy 30:1-4

By what I see, things really go as it is told in the Bible. If it would not be so, I don’t think we would still have the Bible, it would be forgotten in the history as so many other ancient beliefs.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟163,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"God said it, I believe it, that settles it." Useful chart.

Bible-Growth-750x950.gif

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Because I have no reason NOT to believe in it. Scripture has never been proven wrong just speculative controversy at best. Be blessed.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0