The Bible is the Word of God. Ok, but how do you know that?

Why do you believe your Bible is the Word of God?

• I don't really know, I always accepted it for granted.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not aware of any fiction dating back that far or anything written to be misleading. Am I wrong?
It is possible that one of us misunderstood the other. I may have taken your comment about news a bit too broadly.

What I was referring to was how modern scholars of ancient history have suggested that various Egyptian pharaoahs and Roman emperors rewrote history to suit their agenda.

Even if those things never happened, it is widely accepted that some Roman historians rewrote history to suit their own prejudices. That's one reason why scholars tend to make a point of emphasizing a given Roman historian's credentials. When they say "So-and-so was one of the most accurate historians of his era" or some such, they're distinguishing him from people who wrote histories to suit a political agenda.

Anyway. If I misinterpreted what you wrote, just ignore all this. It's been that kind of day.

• Agree
Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
try and avoid the question by answering "because the Bible says it is God's Word." Sure, but so does the Koran, or the book of Mormons. Why then do we not accept them as the Word of God as well?

Yes the Bible says it is the word of God, but unlike other holy books the Bible meets the challenge of histrical accuracy, of a consistent story dispute having many contributors, the challenge of telling the truth even when that embarrasses the principal characters.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All Christians believe that the book they hold in their hands and that has the word 'Bible' printed on it is the Word of God, inspired and infallibly true. But not all Christians believe this for the same reason. Furthermore, not all Christians have the same Bible. Some have more books than others, some have shorter books, some even have different words added that change the meaning of what is written. Which begs the question, how do you know that your Bible is the Word of God? How would you explain this to a non-believer?

Some may try and avoid the question by answering "because the Bible says it is God's Word." Sure, but so does the Koran, or the book of Mormons. Why then do we not accept them as the Word of God as well?

Some may say "because I feel it is God's Word." That's nice, but if you think the Christian faith is reasonable, then there must be a rationale behind it.

The Bible itself admonishes us to "always be ready to give a reason for the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:15). Can you give a good reason why you believe the Bible is the Word of God?

2 Peter 1

16For we did not follow cleverly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of His majesty. 17For He received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to Him from the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”18And we ourselves heard this voice from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.

19We also have the word of the prophets as confirmed beyond doubt. And you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture comes from one’s own interpretation. 21For no such prophecy was ever brought forth by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

we have eyewitnesses accounts and the sure word of prophesy.

Upvote 0

DebbieJ

Jun 1, 2020
Italy
✟22,159.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
Furthermore, not all Christians have the same Bible.

That's because of copyright issues. My main Bible is KJV, but I cross reference it to several versions to get a better understanding. Thank goodness for online Bible where there are several versions for you to cross reference.

Which begs the question, how do you know that your Bible is the Word of God? How would you explain this to a non-believer?

Same answers as above. If they ask a question, I would answer them. Debate, ok, if I have the time. However, I wouldn't really waste my time if I can sense that it's going nowhere. I usually leave the thread and do something productive like giving my dogs a bath.

Some may try and avoid the question by answering "because the Bible says it is God's Word." Sure, but so does the Koran, or the book of Mormons. Why then do we not accept them as the Word of God as well?

The Koran was only written in 6 A.D. The Torah (OT) was written several thousand of years before that and the New Testament by several hundred years, making the Koran a plagiarized and corrupted copy of the Bible. They have Christ as Nabi Isa but, it's different. He's not crucified. The Mormons believe that the brother of Christ is the Devil and they live in a planet called Kolob, lol.

The Bible itself admonishes us to "always be ready to give a reason for the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:15). Can you give a good reason why you believe the Bible is the Word of God?

Faith.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All Christians believe that the book they hold in their hands and that has the word 'Bible' printed on it is the Word of God, inspired and infallibly true. But not all Christians believe this for the same reason. Furthermore, not all Christians have the same Bible. Some have more books than others, some have shorter books, some even have different words added that change the meaning of what is written. Which begs the question, how do you know that your Bible is the Word of God? How would you explain this to a non-believer?

Some may say "because I feel it is God's Word." That's nice, but if you think the Christian faith is reasonable, then there must be a rationale behind it.

I believe the Bible was the Word of God by revelation of this truth by the changed life I received by accepting Jesus as my Savior.

Later in my life, I discovered that there are a ton of evidences that back up God's Word (the Bible) as being divine in origin.

Love Branch: Evidences for the Word of God

Not only do church traditions contradict the Bible, but these evidences do not exist for church traditions. But those who want church traditions to be true and who bend over backwards to prove that they are true will of course never see what I am talking about here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟484,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are infact 73 books in the Bible.

Luther removed the ones he didnt like as they went against his ideas.

He wanted to remove James, Hebrews, Jude, and Revelation too but in the end didnt.

But, thats for another time, another thread!

Good Day, L4W

That would only be true if you are a member of the Roman Church and also see them as authoritative in deciding a Cannon to which their members must adhere...

Seeing I am not a member of the denomination, it is of little use to me. I do however believe they have a right to do so and in doing so have erred, but to errr is human.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟105,044.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe the Bible was the Word of God by revelation of this truth by the changed life I received by accepting Jesus as my Savior.

Later in my life, I discovered that there are a ton of evidences that back up God's Word (the Bible) as being divine in origin.

Love Branch: Evidences for the Word of God

Not only do church traditions contradict the Bible, but these evidences do not exist for church traditions. But those who want church traditions to be true and who bend over backwards to prove that they are true will of course never see what I am talking about here.

the ten commandments are mans perception of Gods law, first spoken in the garden ....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BBAS 64

Contributor
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟484,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's because of copyright issues. My main Bible is KJV, but I cross reference it to several versions to get a better understanding. Thank goodness for online Bible where there are several versions for you to cross reference.

Same answers as above. If they ask a question, I would answer them. Debate, ok, if I have the time. However, I wouldn't really waste my time if I can sense that it's going nowhere. I usually leave the thread and do something productive like giving my dogs a bath.

The Koran was only written in 6 A.D. The Torah (OT) was written several thousand of years before that and the New Testament by several hundred years, making the Koran a plagiarized and corrupted copy of the Bible. They have Christ as Nabi Isa but, it's different. He's not crucified. The Mormons believe that the brother of Christ is the Devil and they live in a planet called Kolob, lol.

Faith.

Good day, Debbie

You do know the KJV is a production of the Church of England, under the authority of the King and as such has a Crown copyright at Oxford assigned to it.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟105,044.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's great; But that does not help me to know what you are talking about.

you stated...

"Not only do church traditions contradict the Bible, but these evidences do not exist for church traditions. But those who want church traditions to be true and who bend over backwards to prove that they are true will of course never see what I am talking about here."

which i am in agreement with as i have found all the doctrines which have come out of organized religion to be false ... and everything is about Gods law which is not separate from who He is ... the whole bible speaks to it from cover to cover ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RushMAN

Supporter
Jul 13, 2020
West Coast
✟78,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Because the Church has spoken

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good day, Debbie

You do know the KJV is a production of the Church of England, under the authority of the King and as such has a Crown copyright at Oxford assigned to it.

In Him,

Bill
I think the copyright doesn't apply in the USA

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Well, the Bible says Jesus is the Word of God, not the scriptures.

No, it doesn't. The Bible says Jesus is the Word of God, and it also says there is a written Word of God.

Read Psalm 119. You will find eight Hebrew words are used to refer to God’s Word in that Psalm.

The first word is promise or word, dabar in Hebrew, used 24 times: it means God’s spoken, revealed word.

The second word is saying, imrah in Hebrew, used 19 times: this is another way to say word, anything God has spoken, commanded or promised.

The third word is statutes, chuqqim, used 21 times: these are the rules that God gave to His people early in their history. It can be translated “laws”.

The fourth word is judgments, mishpatim, used 23 times: a later word for statutes, can be translated as judgements or rules or rulings.

The fifth word is law, torah, used 25 times: this means the first 5 books of the Bible. Later it included other books like Isaiah and Jeremiah. It is translated as “law” or “teaching” or even “revelation”.

The sixth word is commands, miswah/miswot, used 22 times: what someone with authority (God) tells you to do, orders.

The seventh word is precepts, piqqudim, used 21 times: these give us help when we want to know what to do. This word is sometimes translated as “guidelines” or “instructions” in Psalm 119.

The eighth word is testimonies, eduth, used 23 times: these are the things that God tells us to do. Related to the word “witness”, keeping His testimonies means being loyal to the covenant or promise that God has made with us.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
All Christians believe that the book they hold in their hands and that has the word 'Bible' printed on it is the Word of God, inspired and infallibly true.

And so also did Christ and those who listened to Him.

Luke 24
24 Some of those who were with us went to the tomb and found it just exactly as the women also had said; but Him they did not see.” 25 And He said to them, “O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?” 27 Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.

...32 They said to one another, “Were not our hearts burning within us while He was speaking to us on the road, while He was explaining the Scriptures to us?” 33 And they got up that very hour and returned to Jerusalem,
44 Now He said to them, “These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” 45 Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, 46 and He said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day, ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, the Bible says Jesus is the Word of God, not the scriptures.

Seriously??

Mark 7
‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far away from Me.
7 ‘But in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’
8 Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’ 12 you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Word of God = Moses said = Commandment of God... (according to Christ)

Acts 17:11 "they studied the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things spoken to them by the Apostle Paul, were SO"

2 Peter 1:20-21
20 But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, 21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Upvote 0