The Bible is recent but it is our instructions from God for us today…

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
With the exception of possibly the book of Job, it could be that there was no Scripture before Moses. If there was the book of Job before Moses, that would have been the only Scripture in existence (if such were the case). But even the book of Job was not like the five Books of Moses (Which was a lot of Scripture). From that point on after Moses, lots more Scripture had come, as well. But does that mean that just because there may have been a time where no Scripture existed that it regulates the Bible that we have today as not being as important? No. Noah was told to build an Ark. But are we Christians told to build an Ark? No. Those instructions were for Noah. So we have to understand what our instructions are and take them seriously. But it is pretty amazing that God has moved with the times. Most people really did not have a full and complete Bible to own in their home in the late 1400’s.

A hand-written copy of the Bible would have cost the equivalent of thousands of dollars in the 15th century (late 1400’s). A printed Bible during the Reformation (1500’s), on the other hand, cost two or three weeks’ wages for a skilled worker. Thus, the middle class in the Reformation had, for the first time in history, the opportunity to own, and thus to read, a personal Bible.

For hundreds of years before the time of Reformation with the spread of Bibles going out, believers most likely would have to accept whatever copied scrolls they could get their hands on and I doubt all believers had the entire collection of what we have with the Holy Bible. So the Bible was not something one could be intimately owned for all before the Reformation. While I am not a Reformer who adheres to Martin Luther, or John Calvin, I do recognize that the Bible came out of their time and had an impact on many people in a positive way (Despite the Reformers). For God’s Word in a new way like never before was going out to the people or the common and it would forever change the face of history.

Many died for their faith by standing by what little fragments of God’s Word that they had.

The ultimate climax of the printing revolution is that today anyone can read the Bible in almost any language, essentially for free because of digital reproduction. So we take for granted the Word of God. It’s on our phones, tablets, computers, Echo dots, etc.; But do people cherish the Word of God like they did back then? I see many today just want to pick what parts of the Bible they like and discard the rest. I see many today say we really do not need to make the Bible our one and only final Word of authority on matters of the faith. Many have died for the book that is God’s Holy Word. But do many of us care to read it or study it? Do we care to truly make God known to us by His Word?

The Holy Bible is God’s instructions for us today.
We need to heed the Word as it exists today.
For God wants us to draw close to Him by His Word (i.e. the Holy Bible - >
Which is an amazing work of God).

Source used for two short paragraphs in this post:
How reading the Bible changed in the early 16th century during the Reformation

Last edited:
Reactions: SANTOSO

.Jeremiah.

Jul 26, 2021
The South
✟21,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love the Bible.

Because for me the Bible is the Word, and the Word was God, and the Word was made flesh.

I am so thankful to the Lord for being alive in these times where everyone has access to such amazing knowledge.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Pentateuch was written by Moses sometime after the Exodus from Egypt around 1500 B.C. Job is uncertain but could have been written by Moses during the same period or as late as 200 B.C. by an unknown author. The texts that make the Bible was officially put together by the Council of Nicea in 325 A.D. however, biblical scholars state that by this time most were in agreement with what writings were to be considered the word of God and what wasn't.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I love the Bible.

Because for me the Bible is the Word, and the Word was God, and the Word was made flesh.

I am so thankful to the Lord for being alive in these times where everyone has access to such amazing knowledge.

I am so glad to hear that, friend. You may enjoy this bible study I did on that topic.

The Living Word & the Communicated Word.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Pentateuch was written by Moses sometime after the Exodus from Egypt around 1500 B.C.

I find it fascinating that for thousands of years before the Pentateuch that there was no major compilation of Scripture. We truly are spoiled to have a Written Word with ease of access.
I am so grateful to the Lord for His Word.

You said:
Job is uncertain but could have been written by Moses during the same period or as late as 200 B.C. by an unknown author.

Some date the book of Job as being older than the Pentateuch. While I could be wrong, my best guess (not a fact) is that I hold to the view that the book of Job took place between the many years between the end of the story of Joseph (Genesis), and before the story of Moses began (Exodus). There were hundreds of years between these two narratives and the book of Job fits best within the patriarchal period according to many experts.

You said:
The texts that make the Bible was officially put together by the Council of Nicea in 325 A.D. however, biblical scholars state that by this time most were in agreement with what writings were to be considered the word of God and what wasn't.

That is a myth that the canon of the Bible was established at Council of Nicaea.

Did Constantine decide what books belonged in the Bible? | GotQuestions.org

The Muratorian Canon, which is believed to date to 200 A.D., is the earliest compilation of canonical texts resembling the New Testament (Which predates the council of Nicaea) and establishes NT canon.

Sources:
The Bible
The Muratorian Fragment
The Muratorian Canon

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In Mainz, Germany: The Gutenberg Bible (1455) was the first printed Bible and it was also the first mass produced printed book in the world, as well.

Surely the Bible is the book above all books.

Praise be unto the Lord.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here is a graphic I created a while back that will hopefully help folks put in perspective the three major eras of God’s way of communication.

full

Last edited:
Upvote 0

.Jeremiah.

Jul 26, 2021
The South
✟21,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With the exception of possibly the book of Job, it could be that there was no Scripture before Moses. If there was the book of Job before Moses, that would have been the only Scripture in existence (if such were the case). But even the book of Job was not like the five Books of Moses (Which was a lot of Scripture). From that point on after Moses, lots more Scripture had come, as well. But does that mean that just because there may have been a time where no Scripture existed that it regulates the Bible that we have today as not being as important? No. Noah was told to build an Ark. But are we Christians told to build an Ark? No. Those instructions were for Noah. So we have to understand what our instructions are and take them seriously. But it is pretty amazing that God has moved with the times. Most people really did not have a full and complete Bible to own in their home in the late 1400’s.

A hand-written copy of the Bible would have cost the equivalent of thousands of dollars in the 15th century (late 1400’s). A printed Bible during the Reformation (1500’s), on the other hand, cost two or three weeks’ wages for a skilled worker. Thus, the middle class in the Reformation had, for the first time in history, the opportunity to own, and thus to read, a personal Bible.

For hundreds of years before the time of Reformation with the spread of Bibles going out, believers most likely would have to accept whatever copied scrolls they could get their hands on and I doubt all believers had the entire collection of what we have with the Holy Bible. So the Bible was not something one could be intimately owned for all before the Reformation. While I am not a Reformer who adheres to Martin Luther, or John Calvin, I do recognize that the Bible came out of their time and had an impact on many people in a positive way (Despite the Reformers). For God’s Word in a new way like never before was going out to the people or the common and it would forever change the face of history.

Many died for their faith by standing by what little fragments of God’s Word that they had.

The ultimate climax of the printing revolution is that today anyone can read the Bible in almost any language, essentially for free because of digital reproduction. So we take for granted the Word of God. It’s on our phones, tablets, computers, Echo dots, etc.; But do people cherish the Word of God like they did back then? I see many today just want to pick what parts of the Bible they like and discard the rest. I see many today say we really do not need to make the Bible our one and only final Word of authority on matters of the faith. Many have died for the book that is God’s Holy Word. But do many of us care to read it or study it? Do we care to truly make God known to us by His Word?

The Holy Bible is God’s instructions for us today.
We need to heed the Word as it exists today.
For God wants us to draw close to Him by His Word (i.e. the Holy Bible - >
Which is an amazing work of God).

Source used for two short paragraphs in this post:
How reading the Bible changed in the early 16th century during the Reformation
I love what Christ have spoken. His Spirit give me life. I thank God that He give me the strength to put hope in His word.

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0