W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 1:12-13New King James Version (NKJV)

12 Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
All you offered was to reinforce my point the Holy Scriptures of the NT were complete and in use well before someone 'gave them to us.'

In use in a fragmented way. Preached by mouth. The 'Canon' was not widely available until the church put it together.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And, the Apostles were sent forth by Jesus, who, made Peter the head of the church on earth! Peter, 'The Rock'. Peter, given the keys to bind or loose. So, through Sacred Tradition, the Canon was formed!

:oldthumbsup:

Good day, Goatee

There you have a novel unhistorical view of the cannon. do you have an official document from your "sacred Tradition" that purports that is what they say and believe about them self's.. I really need to read that as believe you have misinterpreted that.

Historical reference of OT canon... notice no mention of your novel presupposition here.

Athanasius,

"There are, then, of the Old Testament, twenty-two books in number; for, as I have heard, it is handed down that this is the number of the letters among the Hebrews" (Festal Letter 39:4)

How many letters were handed down in history from the Jews? What makes you more of a historical authority than Athanasius on this matter?

In Him,

Bill

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Good day, Goatee

There you have a novel unhistorical view of the cannon. do you have an official document from your "sacred Tradition" that purports that is what they say and believe about them self's.. I really need to read that as believe you have misinterpreted that.

Historical reference of OT canon... notice no mention of your novel presupposition here.

Athanasius,

"There are, then, of the Old Testament, twenty-two books in number; for, as I have heard, it is handed down that this is the number of the letters among the Hebrews" (Festal Letter 39:4)

How many letters were handed down in history from the Jews? What makes you more of a historical authority than Athanasius on this matter?

In Him,

Bill

Everyone and their cat knows that it was the church that assembled the Canon! Before that, different scriptures, of varying amounts and authors, too many to count, were being preached across Christendom.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In use in a fragmented way. Preached by mouth. The 'Canon' was not widely available until the church put it together.
It doesnt take much to teach the gospel. The good news was never meant to be religious, but rather spiritual. Its about love. Its far more simplistic than catholicism.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As Jesus said, they were more concerned with the past. Jesus brought in the New covenant. And with it the Apostles, who, through Sacred Tradition, have handed down their teachings through the Catholic Church with the Holy Spirit guiding it.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I invite you to read some of the sub-apostolic epistles and see the NT canon was in wide use even before the death of the apostle John.

Below the pic in signature....Irenaeus tells it all.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
It doesnt take much to teach the gospel. The good news was never meant to be religious, but rather spiritual. Its about love. Its far more simplistic than catholicism.

Which Gospel was preached? There were a lot more floating about in early Christianity!

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I invite you to read some of the sub-apostolic epistles and see the NT canon was in wide use even before the death of the apostle John.

Below the pic in signature....Irenaeus tells it all.

Which Gospel was preached? There were a lot more floating about in early Christianity!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everyone and their cat knows that it was the church that assembled the Canon! Before that, different scriptures, of varying amounts and authors, too many to count, were being preached across Christendom.

Well nice assertion, baseless and historically void
Can you please provide a shred of primary sources for these thins and care to answer my questions...

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Well nice assertion, baseless and historically void
Can you please provide a shred of primary sources for these thins and care to answer my questions...

In Him,

Bill

How many 'Gospels' outside of the Canon gave been found? Letters etc? Very many!

It was the church that shifter the wheat from the chaff, via the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everyone and their cat knows that it was the church that assembled the Canon!

Did assembling a canon mean those who assembled such made the Scriptures authoritative, or that the Scriptures themselves were authoritative? Note as Irenaeus pointed to the authority of Scriptures were handed down by the apostles in written form.

Before that, different scriptures, of varying amounts and authors, too many to count, were being preached across Christendom.

Yes because they were not of apostolic origin and most were written well after the turn of the 1st century. Unlike the NT books received in written form from the 1st century timeframe.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
And there are many now, but the truth is simple, not complicated. Dare any of us boast in anything but the cross?

Does any true Christian pray from any of the 'Gnostic Gospels etc?'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Indeed there were even heretics in the time of the apostles (see the epistle to the Galatians). However, how were these heretics with a false gospel refuted? The early church theologians used Holy Scriptures to refute them.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Did assembling a canon mean those who assembled such made the Scriptures authoritative, or that the Scriptures themselves were authoritative? Note as Irenaeus pointed to the authority of Scriptures were handed down by the apostles in written form.

Yes because they were not of apostolic origin and most were written well after the turn of the 1st century. Unlike the NT books received in written form from the 1st century timeframe.

So, we agree then that without the Holy Spirit guiding the church we would not have the true Canon as it stands today! Thank you buddy

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good day,

Indeed and they were heretics and were to be refuted by the authority of scripture, not some man made traditions which is equal to human reason. do you have a particular one in history you would like to unpack a bit...

Jerome (347-420): All the questions raised by the heretics and the heathen are the same, because they do not follow the authority of the Scriptures, but the sense of human reason. For translation, see Goode, Vol. 3, p. 151.
Latin text: Omnes enim haereticorum et gentilium quaestiones eaedem sunt, quia non Scripturarum auctoritatem, sed humanae rationis sensum sequuntur. Commentariorum In Osee Prophetam, Liber Secundus, Caput VII, PL 25:882.

Maybe the Arians... refuted by scripture not by man made reason...

It is plain then from the above that the Scriptures declare the Son's eternity; it is equally plain from what follows that the Arian phrases 'He was not,' and 'before' and 'when,' are in the same Scriptures predicated of creatures." (Four Discourses Against the Arians, 1:4:13)

"And let them [the Arians] blame themselves in this matter, for they set the example, beginning their war against God with words not in Scripture. However, if a person is interested in the question, let him know, that, even if the expressions [used by those who oppose Arianism] are not in so many words in the Scriptures, yet, as was said before, they contain the sense of the Scriptures, and expressing it, they convey it to those who have their hearing unimpaired for religious doctrine." (Defense of the Nicene Definition, 5:21)

In Him,

Bill

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does any true Christian pray from any of the 'Gnostic Gospels etc?'
People create their own religion. That's what i did too. I saw how complicated religion was and i based mine on simplicity. Humbleness of mind, peace, gentleness, love, faith in God and not man. My teacher is the Lord. Daily He guides me by His word. He gave me his word not man. How could i ever boast in man?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.