• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

The Bible: God's plan for the redemption of humankind? Or... ???

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Saint Steven, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Saint Steven

Saint Steven You can call me Steve Supporter

+6,809
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I typed up the key points. If that helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Aionios mistranslated as "eternal" and "everlasting" in Matthew 25:46.

All these verses below use the same NT Greek word, "aionios", the Greek word mistranslated as "eternal" and "everlasting" in Matthew 25:46. See bold below. This shows that "aionios" cannot mean eternal or everlasting.

Matthew 13:22
    The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful.

Romans 12:2
    Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

1 Corinthians 1:20
    Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

1 Corinthians 2:8
    None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Ephesians 2:2
    in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.

Compare: Matthew 12:32; Mark 10:30; Luke 18:30; Luke 20:35; Ephesians 1:21

Luke 18:29-30
    “Truly I tell you,” Jesus said to them, “no one who has left home or wife or brothers or sisters or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God 30 will fail to receive many times as much in this age, and in the age to come eternal life.”

2. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+949
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Declare away!

Reminder: Be sure to send God the memo.

3. MMXX

MMXX Jesus Loves You

+1,110
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    You wish.

4. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+949
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    You mean you don't wish?

5. MMXX

MMXX Jesus Loves You

+1,110
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Wishing isn't scriptural.

6. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+949
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    You win!

Good night.

7. MMXX

MMXX Jesus Loves You

+1,110
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Seek to discuss, rather than to win.

8. MMXX

MMXX Jesus Loves You

+1,110
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Play at FULL VOLUME!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+2,059
    Catholic
    Married
    The Bible explains something that we should all begin to sense on our own, that there’s something wrong with humanity in a most basic way. And then it gives us the answer to the problem, that man must be reconciled and enter communion with God. Then justice, order, harmony-and happiness-would reign in creation.

10. Saint Steven

+6,809
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Will we ever measure up? Not likely.

From my perspective, salvation/reconcilliation isn't something we do, it is something God did and is doing.

All too often we humans look at things to see what is wrong. (even with ourselves) Seldom do we look to see what is right. Why?

Most imagine that when God looks at us he is mostly disgusted by what is wrong with us. As if we were a worthless and wretched lot.

But Jesus informs us that God is our heavenly Father. I believe that Abba's lap is always open for us to sit. He longs for a relationship with us.

And like our own children, there we sit with a runny nose and full diaper. A needy lot.

Romans 8:15 NIV
    The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.”

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  11. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+2,059
    Catholic
    Married
    Hmm, God isn’t pleased with sin, which is a very ugly thing that caused Jesus to come and do what He did. But what He did proves that He loves us in spite of our sin. As creation, itself, becomes convicted of that sin, that ugliness, then it can turn to that love of His and begin to reflect it back itself. Yes, we first need to know that something’s wrong, to develop a hunger and thirst for something right in a relatively lost and godless world, apart from Him.

But, yes, we certainly don’t need to get stuck in some self-deprecating place, as some seem to enjoy, of maintaining that everything including ourselves is bad and dark. Jesus came to raise us up, not keep us down.

12. Shrewd Manager

Shrewd Manager Through him, in all things, more than conquerors. Supporter

+3,096
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Not sure how you can believe Jesus is salvation incarnate and believe most ppl don't get saved. How does that work? It's a definitional and basic rational problem, a contradiction in terms, an oxymoron like military intelligence, no? Let alone a faith issue.

13. Saint Steven

+6,809
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Right. I believe he actually likes us.

Some readers bristle when I say that. But I want to emphasize that there is more to God's affections for us than the obligatory "love" that we model toward one another in the church, as if it is actual love.

We tolerate each other and call it love. But we hang out with those we actually like. See the difference? To like someone is actually a cut above love if you look at it that way.

14. Saint Steven

+6,809
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    But where did sin come from? Did we humans invent it? Who put that tree in the middle of the garden where we couldn't avoid it? What was the idea there?

Surprisingly, humankind had to be tricked into the transgression. And did we really understand what the consequences would be? What did the threat of death mean before there was death on the planet?

I don't mean to be offensive with my questions, but these are the things we should be discussing. IMHO

15. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+2,059
    Catholic
    Married
    I guess, if you look at it that way. Unless they really do love...:)

16. Shrewd Manager

Shrewd Manager Through him, in all things, more than conquerors. Supporter

+3,096
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    I can't show you one verse that states point-blank 'Everyone will live forever', but it seems to me the most elementary deduction to make from (a) Everyone is condemned to death (b) Jesus comes to save everyone (c) God promises (swears an oath!) that everyone will be saved, because He loves the world with a passion that will never quit.

The assumption we need to make, the leap of faith, if you will, is that God's word is trustworthy and true, and Jesus' mission is a success. Now for me as a Christian, that's a given. Call it hope, faith, trust or conviction, I don't get how it can be such a stumbling block and rock of offence to so many - but the Bible explains the reasons for that.

So what am I missing? Some prophetic rhetoric about everlasting destruction and eternal torment to amplify up to an overriding theology? Salvation has the last word.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+2,059
    Catholic
    Married
    Either way, when I began to understand that there was something basically off the mark with this world, then the Christian message began to make sense.

18. renniks

renniks Well-Known Member

+2,424
    Christian
    Married
    How about answering the question. The vast majority of Christiandom doesn't buy into UR. Do they all have a fake faith?

19. MMXX

MMXX Jesus Loves You

+1,110
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    BLASPHEMY!

20. Saint Steven

+6,809
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Before Christ, what did everyone "buy into"? The majority opinion isn't always the best indicator.