Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Is anyone else watching this Bible study with the St. Paul Center? If not, I highly recommend that you do (you can sign up in the middle of the page). I kept signing up whenever it was offered but never got far until now. It's as informative as the Bible and the Sacraments (which I ended up buying), and I would recommend it to anyone (and I think even protestants would benefit from it).

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟348,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
In video 2 at 08:47 the speaker claims, that "hail" is a word that was used by the prophets of the OT to begin a messianic prophesy. And he references Joel 2:23-24 and Zechariah 9::9. But I fail to find that word "hail" in those 2 passages. Can anyone help me here?

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
In video 2 at 08:47 the speaker claims, that "hail" is a word that was used by the prophets of the OT to begin a messianic prophesy. And he references Joel 2:23-24 and Zechariah 9::9. But I fail to find that word "hail" in those 2 passages. Can anyone help me here?
It would depend on your translation, I think. Otherwise, it's probably reflected in the original Greek or Hebrew (I'll take a look tonight).

Upvote 0

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟348,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I emailed the St Pauls Center, and they have answered me swiftly. This is their answer

I believe what Matt is getting at in that part of the video is that the word that appears in the oldest Greek sources of the New Testament is "καιρέ" (kairé). This word can be used as a greeting, which is the way that it appears in the New Testament, but can also be used to mean "rejoice!" In the Greek Septuagint translation of the Old Testament, this is the case in those two passages that Matt mentions in the video. The scriptural author is translated as using the word "kairé" to mean "rejoice!"

So the greek septuagint.

I did find a greek septuagint online, but how to do a word search? When you have to type your query in greek with correct accents? :-D

Upvote 0