THE BEST THING WE CAN DO FOR OTHERS

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Once I heard a famous preacher say, “The best thing we can do for you is to teach you what God is like!”

I believe that is a very popular view among Christian, yet that is not what I think and further more it bothers me to think that other believe that!

Is that best thing we can do for others is to point people to Him???

I mean if God is really there, isn't the most important thing we can do for others is to point people to Him???

He talks to me. He also does things in my life. Ok, it is nice to know He is love, but did I really find that out from someone telling me God is love or by Him talking to Me and doing things for me?

Ok - I like talking about Him and what He is like. I like discussions on Him. Yet, I could never tell someone that best thing I can do for them is to tell them what He is like. The best thing I can do for them is to directly point them to Him! It has to be.

Knowing Him has to be more important that knowing about Him!

For example: If someone needs healing, is it better to tell them the Lord heals, or that the Lord is the healer so seek Him?

He had me work in a healing ministry for about 5 years, and when people came in for prayer we would anoint them and pray for them, but my first instructions to them were to seek the Lord themselves and listen for His voice. I would tell them not to listen to what we were praying but concentrate on trying to pick up Him. The reason was simple; if the Spirit of God didn't show up and do the work it wasn't going to get done. So I had them seek Him, our Lord Jesus Christ via His Holy Spirit speaking to their spirit, and we prayed that the Lord would have His Spirit move in on them and open up their ears to hear.

The Lord said He was the Lord who heals us, and that if His people would harken to His voice He would heal their lands. So, as one of the leaders of the small prayer groups that prayed in that ministry, and based upon my belief that the best thing I could do for someone was to point them to Him, we had them seek the Lord themselves as we prayed for the connection. People got touched. They got healed in so many ways. And I believe it was because I was not so worried about telling them all about Him but about Him. That He is there for them personally.

Tell them that. Tell them that He is there for them personally. If they find Him won't they also then find out about Him?

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
For example: If someone needs healing, is it better to tell them the Lord heals, or that the Lord is the healer so seek Him?

The first one would get people's attention better :oldthumbsup: From personal experience.

The latter statement is an insult to anyone who is sickly. It implies their lack of Godliness.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,117.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I made a coffee cup. I instructed it that it was too hold beverages. I warned it it shouldn't hold pencils or be used as a scoop. Well it has gone ahead and done both and now it wants to reverse engineer it's maker to see what makes him tick. I believe it thinks it can understand it's maker having only the awareness of a coffee cup. I wonder why it isn't happy just doing what I created it for.

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The first one would get people's attention better :oldthumbsup: From personal experience.

The latter statement is an insult to anyone who is sickly. It implies their lack of Godliness.

The first one might get there attention; in that they may find your belief that there is a God and you think He heals, but unless that person already personally knows God is actually there that statement is going to be written off as your religion. So while interesting, it's not personally for them.

I worked in a Christian healing ministry for about five years, and Christian who obviously had heard that God heals would come to that ministry. They all wrote down what they needed prayer for before we prayed for them - yet amazingly most of the physical healing that I prayed for I did so because the Lord told me they had a problem.

That is: when they came in, I asked the Lord for how He wanted the prayer season to go. He would tell me things like, they had forgiveness issued, or there were family issues, or they had a bad knee. When I asked, "Is your knee giving you any problems" inevitably they would tell me they did. I would have them tell me the specific issue, as they understood it, and also ask about the pain level on a scale of one to ten. You would be shock at the number of people that reported server pain levels, even 9 out of 10. So, if the telling people that God heals got their attention, how do you explain that they did seek the Lord for the healing????

I do find your issue of insulting people who are sickly, interesting. It is an issue, to be sure, and needs to be considered. Never-the-less, if the best advice I can give them is to seek the Lord personally, then that is the best advice. There is something written about Jesus being a stumbling block to them!!

Jesus Christ is there. He is God. He is love. He wants to help. Still many people don't want to hear about Him. They reject Him, and get offended I the suggestion that we all need to seek Him. Religion might be ok, but actually seeking Him is rejected by them.

So they even get offended with the best advice you can give them, which is to seek Him for help. Why are they sickly? Are they rejecting Him? Maybe not, but He still heals. He still helps. He still has the answers people need to listen to. Or they can reject Him and get offended by others giving them the best advice.

If they get offended by me pointing to Jesus Christ, then isn't it because they have taken offense to Him.

Mat 15:12 Then the disciples came and said to Him, “Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this statement?”

Jesus was and is the Word of God. He says only what the Father tells Him, and that is perfect. Still people got offended by Him. I'm not perfect, but the best advice I have is to seek Him. So if they get offended, they have the problem. Just because someone takes offense, it doesn't mean you were wrong. Jesus was never wrong and people took offense.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Once I heard a famous preacher say, “The best thing we can do for you is to teach you what God is like!”

I believe that is a very popular view among Christian, yet that is not what I think and further more it bothers me to think that other believe that!
Whew! GLAD TO READ THIS , so far.... what good does it do to tell someone what God is like, then say to them "go and be warm" , "go and be fed", and not lift a finger to help them....

now , back to the op to finish reading, God Willing....

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I mean if God is really there, isn't the most important thing we can do for others is to point people to Him???
Since God is really here, DO what God says- IF they are hungry , FEED THEM. If they are thirsty, GIVE THEM A GLASS OF WATER. etc....

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The apostles healed people everywhere they went.

Smith Wigglesworth did heal people often also (in the last century) and taught the true gospel of Jesus.

Some practitioners in the United States healed more people than any official program.
(and they were blacklisted for doing so)

Reactions: K2K
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since God is really here, DO what God says- IF they are hungry , FEED THEM. If they are thirsty, GIVE THEM A GLASS OF WATER. etc....

So what are we feeding them? What water are we giving them?

Yes, do what He says - but what does He say? What is His work?

It is explained that the work of God is that all should come to know the Son!

Maybe it is that all should come to know what the Son is like, but I believe it actually means that all should come to know Him personally. So what does He personally say to you?

He once told me, "Karl, I want you to preach the Word of God, but not as it is so often preached today. I want you to preach I AM the Word of God." When He said the words 'I AM' they hit me with power which cause me falling, and I had to quickly catch myself or I would have fallen on my bathroom floor.

So it is that my purpose and the food that I give them is about coming to personally know the Son!

And that is why I don't understand those who make their preaching about knowing all about Him instead of about Him. The Spirit talked to me one day about that. He told me, "Karl, they all want to tell other all about Him instead of about Him."

So I ask - what is the best things we can do for others? I believe it is point people to Him! I believe that is more important than telling others all that we know about Him. That doesn't mean that there is not value in telling others about Him, but them actually getting to know Him has to be more important to them and knowing what you do about Him. If they find Him, learn to hear from Him, He can tell them about Himself, and He knows Himself better than we do!

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trouble is they don't stop there. They want to define Him also.
I kind of like the post, but I am not sure and don't want to imply that there is not value in telling others about Him. Telling others about Him should encourage them to seek Him. So I might want to tell others to seek Him (which is the important part) and then add 'because God is love', or 'because God is the healer', or 'because God is the provider'....

So the problem I see is that we come to think that the important part is what we know about Him, when the important part is that they should come to personally know Him!

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Take note. Not always.

Before coming to this site this morning I went for a walk with the Lord. This morning He wanted to talk to me about taking offense to Him. We walked and talked for awhile, and as we talked it became apparent to me how often I personally take offense to Him. We talked about the reason we take offense to others and then He applied to us/me talking offense to Him. We do that. We take offense to Him at times.

For example - It is written that He reproves those He loves. - Yet we often take offense to others who reprove us. Do we always take offense to others who reprove us? Maybe not always, but I suspect that tends to be part of our sinful nature, so that we actually do have to consider what is being said to keep from taking offense at reproof.

So back to the comment "Take note. Not always" - I conclude that perhaps not always, but probably normally. And considering My walk with the Lord and Him pointing out to me how often I take offense to Him and me not being aware of it - I think the "Take note" part really is better applied to our taking offense to Him than it is to the not taking offense to Him.

I mean - if I don't take offense to Him, that's good. But the "Woe to" part - the part we need to take note of - is the part concerning when we take offense to Him, and we people do that. We people, means me also. That is what my walk with Him was mostly about this morning. He does reprove those He loves, but will we listen.

Isn't it interesting that the place in the Bible where it says that He reproves those He loves is right before the place where is says He stands at the door and knocks and if anyone hears His voice and opens the door? What happens is we take offense to Him reproving us? Are we going to hear His voice, walk and talk with Him, if we take offense to His reproof?

Yes - take note - but not to the "not always' but to the " probably sometimes"!!!

Rev 3:19,20 Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come into him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The apostles healed people everywhere they went.

Smith Wigglesworth did heal people often also (in the last century) and taught the true gospel of Jesus.

Some practitioners in the United States healed more people than any official program.
(and they were blacklisted for doing so)

I love what Smith Wigglesworth did. Yet truly, was it Smith Wiggles worth that healed the people often, or was it the Lord through Smith Wiggles worth that did the healing?

Indeed, how would have Smith Wigglesworth have answered that question?

We sometimes look to people and the things they did, not realizing that they look to the Lord and the things He does.

I worked in a Christian healing ministry for about five years, and I saw the Lord to incredible things there. Even through me He healed a few hundred people. Yet I meet people there who He did much greater things through. And there appeared to be a connects with those He used to do greater things and their person belief that it was the Lord and not them who gets the credit!!!

In fact the person I meet their who was most adamite about the Lord getting the credit was also the same person who the greatest things were being done through!!!

Now I am not a betting man, nor did I know Smith Wigglesworth, but if I was I would be willing to place a large bet on him giving credit for all the miracles that were done around him to the Lord!!

From what I have read of his, and I have a couple of books about Smith Wigglesworth, he knew the Bible. He certainly would have read:

Ex 15:26 …: for I, the Lord, am your healer

So yeah - I know from personal experience that He can and does use us to heal others. The Father used Him for that, and He uses us for that. Never-the-less, He doesn't need to use us. The people can go to Him personally and He will heal them. because He the Lord, said 'I, the Lord, am your healer'!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I love what Smith Wigglesworth did. Yet truly, was it Smith Wiggles worth that healed the people often, or was it the Lord through Smith Wiggles worth that did the healing?
When the Apostles went to towns, they healed everyone for a time. They did not say the power was theirs, but JESUS!

Still, read what Scripture says.

Acts 5:12-16 NIV - The Apostles Heal Many - The apostles ...

https://www.biblegateway.com › passage

The Apostles Heal Many - The apostles performed many signs and wonders among the people. And all the believers used to meet together in Solomon's.

22 Bible verses about Healing Through Disciples

https://bible.knowing-jesus.com › topics › Healing-Through-Disciples

Matthew 10:1 - Jesus summoned His twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every kind of disease and every ...

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,117.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Maybe it is that all should come to know what the Son is like, but I believe it actually means that all should come to know Him personally. So what does He personally say to you?
Love all as self and treat all as you would like to be treated in a similar situation. Set the example as Jesus did of servitude to each other. How some can turn around and make an institutionalised religion out of that that serves the religion and not fellow man is beyond me. Do we want to carry on His tradition or simply boast He is a friend we never met.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When the Apostles went to towns, they healed everyone for a time. They did not say the power was theirs, but JESUS!

Still, read what Scripture says.

Acts 5:12-16 NIV - The Apostles Heal Many - The apostles ...

https://www.biblegateway.com › passage

The Apostles Heal Many - The apostles performed many signs and wonders among the people. And all the believers used to meet together in Solomon's.

22 Bible verses about Healing Through Disciples

https://bible.knowing-jesus.com › topics › Healing-Through-Disciples

Matthew 10:1 - Jesus summoned His twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every kind of disease and every ...

Mark 16:20 And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them, and confirmed the word by the signs that followed

He asks us to pray for people, and for their healing. He even tells us when and how to pray, because we don't know how to pray as we should. Since we pray and He uses that prayer to heal people, it is not actually incorrect to say they healed many, referring to the action of praying for others. However, do we not yet know that He is working with us to confirmed what He said by signs (healing) that follows? Do we not yet understand that He is the healer, not us?

Now we get people wanting to tell people all about Jesus instead of about Jesus. And then they read and what is said and they go out to cast our demons and heal the sick in Jesus name, and let us say they take seven sons with them, but none of them actually know Him. What is going to happen? There was recorded in the Bible someone who did just that, and the demons beat them up pretty bad. (Acts 19:13-16) And are you not promoting this?

We need to know Jesus Christ personally!! If we do, we will actually get the instructions from Him. His sheep hear His voice. And won't we then know that He has both the power and the authority. Yes, if we listen we get instructions and the instructions come with the back of the Kingdom of God, so we can go out and do what is asked. Knowing that, am I now going to just tell people to go about using Jesus's name to heal and cast out demons, because we read that His disciples did that, or am I going to point them to Jesus so that they get to know Him and actually become His disciple by learning from Him, hearing instructions from Him, and by listening and obeying Him?

There was a reason seven sons of Sceva got beat up by evil spirits, and that reason was that they only heard what Jesus and His disciples were like and they didn't hear that they needed to get to know the Lord!!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Mark 16:20 And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them, and confirmed the word by the signs that followed

Do you think/ know/ that when the Apostles healed people, the Lord was with them ?

I know He was.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yet, I could never tell someone that best thing I can do for them is to tell them what He is like. The best thing I can do for them is to directly point them to Him! It has to be.
As well,
what type of conversations between Ekklesia does Yahuweh call an angelic scribe to record permanently in a book in heaven every word ?

hint: described/found in Malachi

Upvote 0