Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I cannot speak for Orthodox Christians, I know they use holy water but not sure what they believe about it. Maybe some of you orthodox all can tell me. Catholics believe holy water when blessed and consecrated to God can do the following things. (I should say that what is meant by this is that once the water is blessed and exorcized the intercession of the Church goes with it and its is offensive to demons and when used in prayer and faith can aid in giving actual graces to the soul. Here are the benefits of Holy Water.

1). Protection against the evil spirit, the devil.
2 ) brings us help and grace for the sanctification of our souls.
3). Pardon for Venial Sins and the remittance of the temporal punishment due to sin are obtained when we use holy water devoutly and make an act of contrition.
4) consolation and mitigation of punishment can be obtained for the holy souls.

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks, Athanasius!
Your welcome. Make sure you get holy water blessed with the older rite as the older rite actually blesses the water and exorcized it making it more efficacious according to exorcist. The new rite there is no blessing to the actual water but rather the people. I have had priest tell me its not nearly as useful in exorcisms as the older rite. This is because God gives you what you ask for.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your welcome. Make sure you get holy water blessed with the older rite as the older rite actually blesses the water and exorcized it making it more efficacious according to exorcist. The new rite there is no blessing to the actual water but rather the people. I have had priest tell me its not nearly as useful in exorcisms as the older rite. This is because God gives you what you ask for.
Thank you, Athanasius, that's good to know! There's a priest in a city nearby who offers up the Latin Mass, he might know the old rite. Thank you!

Reactions: Athanasias
Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you, Athanasius, that's good to know! There's a priest in a city nearby who offers up the Latin Mass, he might know the old rite. Thank you!
Yes that is who I would go to. The devil in the 1960's really messed with alot of the blessing prayers. The younger priest know this and many of them use the older rite to bless the water or at least do not use the book of blessings. We jokingly call it the book of non-blessings because nothing is actually blessed if you read it. Its a sham.

here is an article on it by a priest:

The Book of Non-Blessings

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0