Visit site
✟399,961.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm interested to hear what people in different church bodies think about the Benedict Option. That is, the basic idea that if the social and political climate becomes severely hostile to the Church, Christians ought to withdraw from society temporarily in order to preserve the faith and weather the storm, then come back and rebuild.

Personally, I find the outlook somewhat pessimistic, and I'm not sure seclusion is the right course of action - at least not long term - given that we're called to be in the world, even if it's hostile to us. We often forget how good we have it, compared to the martyrs before us.

However, saying this, I'm not that negative about the idea. I wouldn't blame any church bodies for going for it, and I can see some merit in using the freedom we have now to prepare for harder times ahead.

From my perspective, and I think, for most Lutherans, this is perhaps a reminder of how important proper catechesis is.

What's your take on it?

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm interested to hear what people in different church bodies think about the Benedict Option. That is, the basic idea that if the social and political climate becomes severely hostile to the Church, Christians ought to withdraw from society temporarily in order to preserve the faith and weather the storm, then come back and rebuild.

Personally, I find the outlook somewhat pessimistic, and I'm not sure seclusion is the right course of action - at least not long term - given that we're called to be in the world, even if it's hostile to us. We often forget how good we have it, compared to the martyrs before us.

However, saying this, I'm not that negative about the idea. I wouldn't blame any church bodies for going for it, and I can see some merit in using the freedom we have now to prepare for harder times ahead.

From my perspective, and I think, for most Lutherans, this is perhaps a reminder of how important proper catechesis is.

What's your take on it?
I'm not sure how one can "withdraw" from modern day society.

But to whatever degree one can withdraw, in a sense the Catholic Church already has monks and religious living apart from every day society in many places around the world who preserve the fullness of the faith. So there's probably not much more for us to do if such a thing ever becomes necessary.

I don't see that option as being viable for most of the faithful tho. It's simply not realistic to think that we can disconnect from society on a large scale.

I also don't think disengagement is desirable either from the standpoint of evangelism and winning over lost souls.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What's your take on it?

I think there is three great scriptures about this subject in the Bible:

Even so, let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
Matt. 5:16

Whoever doesn't receive you, nor hear your words, as you go out of that house or that city, shake off the dust from your feet.
Matt. 10:14

Don't be unequally yoked with unbelievers, for what fellowship have righteousness and iniquity? Or what communion has light with darkness? What agreement has Christ with Belial? Or what portion has a believer with an unbeliever? What agreement has a temple of God with idols? For you are a temple of the living God. Even as God said, "I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they will be my people." Therefore, "'Come out from among them, And be separate,' says the Lord, 'Touch no unclean thing. I will receive you. I will be to you a Father. You will be to me sons and daughters,' says the Lord Almighty."
2 Cor. 6:14-18

Disciples of Jesus (“Christian”) should be light to the world. I think this means, we should not be hiding. We should do good without fear. But, we don’t have to be part of something that is not good. We don’t have to be inside of society that is hostile and evil.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟399,961.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure how one can "withdraw" from modern day society.

But to whatever degree one can withdraw, in a sense the Catholic Church already has monks and religious living apart from every day society in many places around the world who preserve the fullness of the faith. So there's probably not much more for us to do if such a thing ever becomes necessary.

I don't see that option as being viable for most of the faithful tho. It's simply not realistic to think that we can disconnect from society on a large scale.

I also don't think disengagement is desirable either from the standpoint of evangelism and winning over lost souls.

That all makes sense to me and I would be inclined to agree.

Out of curiosity, do you think this would be the general feeling for many Roman Catholics? I believe the author of the proposal is a former Roman Catholic, now Eastern Orthodox. And it's my understanding that he's talking about a temporary tactical retreat, so not quite monasticism.

I admit, I haven't read the book - I've only heard his presentation and some discussion on it - so in my mind it would be a kind of temporary Amish form of living. I could be way off.

Upvote 0