Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know about Eastern Catholic liturgies, but our local Orthodox parish goes outside to ring the big bell. I don't think it's dead on at the consecration, I think it at the start of the liturgy of the Eucharist. Which makes sense, considering that the Orthodox don't tend to define a specific point that the bread changes.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,094.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Byzantine Rite Liturgies do not have bells at the consecration - we have bells every time the censor is used ;) Our censors have bells on them - bells AND smells at the same time :)

220px-Roekelseskar.jpg

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
The bell is always rung at the Consecration during the Traditional Roman Mass or Traditional Latin Mass. :)

I know they will ring Church bells when a new bishop or cardinal is ordained. You also have ringing of Church bells when a couple is wed and when a funeral mass is about to begin.

With regards to the Consecration, I know each parish does it differently: some use a bell that an altar server hits with a mallet, or they use a bell that you have to shake, some use this thing ( I don't know what it called) that has these little bells on them and you have to twist your hand, and some use nothing but remain silent.

Upvote 0

Stephanus

Jun 19, 2012
Italy
✟7,793.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ringing the bell at the consecration is an option , not a liturgical obligation

"A little before the consecration, when appropriate, a server rings a bell as a signal to the faithful. According to local custom, the server also rings the bell as the priest shows the host and then the chalice."

Anyway in Ambrosian parishes is rather widespread and exactly the same as in the Roman Rite

Upvote 0