Richmond
✟19,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In today's Western crisis of modernity, we are witnessing the clash of Power and Truth as dramatically embodied in the confrontation between Christ and Pontius Pilate.

For Truth today has been sacrificed by the so called “elites” for the expression of Power. We see this for example when the supposed purveyors of Truth, the media, gives us little more than propaganda in pursuit of the uni-party ideology. Colleges and Universities are actively preventing any contrary ideas to their party narrative and Big Tech routinely cancels those who dare hold a view not in line with their comrades in Power.

This Truth vs Power dynamic also played out in the civil rights battles in the 50’s & 60’s. The Truth side as personified by the Rev. King adopted the passive resistance mode of protest thereby revealing to the world that they were on the Right side of history and held the morally superior position. On the Power side of this great equality struggle was Malcolm X and others like the Nation of Islam and the Black Panthers who said revolt and terrorism are the only viable tools to combat the oppression of discrimination. Is it irony that MLK became a martyr of the Civil Rights movement when he was shot down by a southern bigot and Malcolm X became a murder statistic when he was gunned down by his own “brothers” of his movement? Yet, both approaches, Truth and Power, remain current among in the black community to this day.

Turning now to the parallels with the Christ and Pilate confrontation and to the divisions playing out in our current miserable situation. All the elements are here. We have our Christ; the ultimate standard of Truth, whose place is held today by most of the Orthodox Church as well as others who believe in the supremacy of Truth. In opposition to us, holding the place of Pilate in the worship of power, are all of those who have adopted this “means justifies the ends” approach of establishing a Utopian vision of global equality run by an elitist cabal concerned only with maintain their hegemony.

The crowd who were yelling for Pilate to crucify Christ are not the same people who who days earlier were throwing palm leaves on our Saviors path with enthusiastic Hails and well wishes. No, the rowdy mob at Jesus’ trial that day were instigators who forced their way to the front, close to Pilate, inspired perhaps even paid by the Jewish elitists and rulers. Just as the woke zombies of the BLM, Antifa, Trans activists, environmental wackos, etc… scream loudest but represent just a tiny minority, these people make it seem as if they speak for the entire populace.

Just as the Jewish elitist conspired to release Barabbas, a notorious prisoner (Mt 27:16), can we not see this being played out in real time today as these progressive DAs across the country have freed criminals and unleashed a crime wave of unprecedented proportions?

And one more thing. What if we interpret this scene of Jesus, Pilate, Barabbas, the mob, etc... in scripture chronologically contemporaneous with what's going on in our time? That is, what if it is prophetic and that Christ represents the Church today.

The spiritual warfare we live in today presents the scenario of these post-modernists looking to destroy (crucify) the Church.

What if the story-line of Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem, Passion, Death and Resurrection corresponds with the triumph of the Church in the world, our current decadence which seeks to dismantle the church (Passion), the Church being banned or abandoned (God is Dead) and then the second coming (Resurrection). Could we be heading into the End Times?

Attachments

• Jesus Before Pilate.jpg
    Jesus Before Pilate.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Chesterton

Johnny Ross

Jan 4, 2022
Richmond
✟19,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This dichotomy of Truth and Power represents an insight into an aspect of the fundamental human condition-ever since Cain picked up that rock against his brother.
No small wonder, for the world that rejects Christ rejects the unity found in him.
If we yield to the worlds version of the supremacy of Power than we either go woke or become church militants. If we choose the superiority of Truth but no power, then we must always be reactive-always on the defense. However, if we are to incorporate both elements, like you have suggested Father; in some sort of an ancient coincidentia oppositorum, then we are to hold fast to the traditions of our Fathers yet expressed in a vibrant and creative way. The unvarnished expression of Power, in the Christian/Orthodox way, is not in the naked, raw brute force of imposing my Will upon you but in allowing these timeless Truths revealed by Christ to naturally effuse their vitality and evergreen shafts of Light; in our lives, like a bright candle in the dark.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The unvarnished expression of Power, in the Christian/Orthodox way, is not in the naked, raw brute force of imposing my Will upon you but in allowing these timeless Truths revealed by Christ to naturally effuse their vitality and evergreen shafts of Light; in our lives, like a bright candle in the dark.

it’s not just that He reveals Truth, He is Truth.

Reactions: Johnny Ross
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,882.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think the first clash was initiated by Satan in heaven, and the clash has been perpetuated along similar lines, as you note. This is why revolutionaries like Karl Marx and Saul Alinsky have openly admired Satan as the first revolutionary.

Upvote 0

Johnny Ross

Jan 4, 2022
Richmond
✟19,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
it’s not just that He reveals Truth, He is Truth.
Indeed. Yet Truth, for the most part, is concealed from us. We must dig for it, pray, fast, study, sweat and bleed and then if we're lucky, we might get a glimpse. What is a mystery but a Truth, akin to the Garden of Eden, from which humanity has forever been banned.

In fact, the Essence of Truth is utterly beyond our capabilities as St Gregory Palamas has so richly taught us. The tenets of our Faith, especially about the nature of our risen Lord, took centuries and 7 ecumenical councils to uncover.

Therefore, most all we know about God (Truth) has been revealed to us by God. Reason only takes us so far, the rest of it is revelation

• Agree
Upvote 0

Johnny Ross

Jan 4, 2022
Richmond
✟19,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think the first clash was initiated by Satan in heaven, and the clash has been perpetuated along similar lines, as you note. This is why revolutionaries like Karl Marx and Saul Alinsky have openly admired Satan as the first revolutionary.
Yes, great point and there is no doubt He and his minions are behind much of the Power grab we see today.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is why revolutionaries like Karl Marx and Saul Alinsky have openly admired Satan as the first revolutionary.

I didn’t know Marx had a view like that on Satan. that’s interesting and makes a lot of sense.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In fact, the Essence of Truth is utterly beyond our capabilities as St Gregory Palamas has so richly taught us. The tenets of our Faith, especially about the nature of our risen Lord, took centuries and 7 ecumenical councils to uncover.

yep, and we can know Truth fully by God’s energies, even though the essence is forever beyond us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Johnny Ross

Jan 4, 2022
Richmond
✟19,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We can also come at this Truth vs Power conflict, in our post-modernist society here in the West, by using the existential categories of Being & Becoming. Or again, we could use the Ought & Is distinction, Apollo & Dionysius, Yin and Yang or just plain ol' Good & Evil.
It all points to the classic fundamental duality found in all of us, our institutions, society and all of Reality.
Through Christ, we can find unity in the collision of these opposing forces in our life. However, it ain't easy and it takes a lifetime of struggle (Pick up your Cross...) but most of us prefer comfort. Yet, there is a reign of pain associated with comfort as well.
No one has all the answers but if we work together then we could help each other. That is what I came here in search of. Maybe someone has an insight that someone else could use in their struggle thru Theosis. It is truly remarkable that we share the same space and time together. Billions of years passed by before our birth and perhaps billions more will pass by after we die before our Lord returns. Our time here together is but a blink of the eye and we ought to help each other find unity in Christ and His Sacred Church.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the struggle is to realize there is no conflict between Truth and Power, rather that Truth and Power are Christ Himself.
I think what Johnny’s driving at is the powers of this world, rather than the Power of God. So maybe the title could use a little tweaking?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think what Johnny’s driving at is the powers of this world, rather than the Power of God. So maybe the title could use a little tweaking?

yeah, my point was simply that the powers of this world are powerless, because Truth is Christ Who is infinite power.

• Agree
Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yeah, my point was simply that the powers of this world are powerless, because Truth is Christ Who is infinite power.
I see things pretty much in terms of CS Lewis’s “That Hideous Strength”. Yes, Christ is all-Powerful, but He wants us here to do something in this struggle.

My teenage son was disappointed in the book, I think, because the good guys didn’t reveal and unleash power of their own. It was Power from above that prevailed, but it did matter which side each character chose.

Or if you like, we are to fight Tolkien’s “long defeat”.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I see things pretty much in terms of CS Lewis’s “That Hideous Strength”. Yes, Christ is all-Powerful, but He wants us here to do something in this struggle.

My teenage son was disappointed in the book, I think, because the good guys didn’t reveal and unleash power of their own. It was Power from above that prevailed, but it did matter which side each character chose.

Or if you like, we are to fight Tolkien’s “long defeat”.

yes, and part of the struggle is realizing the powers of this world have no real power.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Johnny Ross

Jan 4, 2022
Richmond
✟19,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
yes, and part of the struggle is realizing the powers of this world have no real power.
Father, Im not quite following you here when you say "real power". It was on this day 77 years ago that we commemorate the horrific atomic bomb devastation on Hiroshima. That, to me, is real power. We have incompetent, idiotic leadership here in the West picking a fight with two nuclear superpowers where the very real possibility exists of a global annihilation!
Are you meaning that ultimately God is in charge? Of that, no one would disagree and represents Gods omnipotence. However, we cannot use this to justify an all too common comfortable fatalism found among many Christians in the past and present. God is in charge and therefore no need to worry or do anything about the slow unravelling of our values.
Yes, God is in charge but the situation and conditions of these present times present unprecedented dangers and challenges to we the believers. Technology combined with this insidious nihilism threatens to not only wipe out our Church but also our species! And it is even unbelievable to say that this is not hyperbole.
We have to fight back as Jesus did with the money changers in the Temple. We have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable and begin to start confronting this demonic Zeitgeist. Humbly offered with true respect.

Upvote 0

Johnny Ross

Jan 4, 2022
Richmond
✟19,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The battle of Truth & Power in this post-modernist age?
Quite right Rus. I have three main critiques of this present age. First, I dont like this focus on Self-everything is me, me, me. Peter Theil has rightly identified it as an obsession with interiority. Secondly, I dont like how the entire orientation of the Western culture is towards the acquisition of knowledge as a means of solving our problems. I have an epistemology based, like Plato, on memory and therefore see our quest as a matter of recovery and not discovery. Thirdly, I dont like how our categories and framework of understanding is dominated by a mechanical, cause & effect type of perception but totally get it since we are surrounded by machines 24/7. Its no wonder it effects us that way.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Father, Im not quite following you here when you say "real power". It was on this day 77 years ago that we commemorate the horrific atomic bomb devastation on Hiroshima. That, to me, is real power. We have incompetent, idiotic leadership here in the West picking a fight with two nuclear superpowers where the very real possibility exists of a global annihilation!
Are you meaning that ultimately God is in charge? Of that, no one would disagree and represents Gods omnipotence. However, we cannot use this to justify an all too common comfortable fatalism found among many Christians in the past and present. God is in charge and therefore no need to worry or do anything about the slow unravelling of our values.
Yes, God is in charge but the situation and conditions of these present times present unprecedented dangers and challenges to we the believers. Technology combined with this insidious nihilism threatens to not only wipe out our Church but also our species! And it is even unbelievable to say that this is not hyperbole.
We have to fight back as Jesus did with the money changers in the Temple. We have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable and begin to start confronting this demonic Zeitgeist. Humbly offered with true respect.

except that’s just an extreme example of worldly power. that’s a power that causes a lot of death. Christ is the real power that destroys death.

Upvote 0