Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think it was top two.

This is sorta bugging me.

It's a "satire" book on, in a rought remembrance of the title, "Lies: And the lying liars who tell them; a balanced look at the Right."

And people complain about Bill O'Reilly or Michale Savage being rude, heh... this book does not sound too entirely, hmm, how shall I say this .... tactful?

Anyways, it was kinda funny, but rather sad at the same time. heh.

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
It's Al Franken's book. I think it reads "...A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right," as his use of 'fair and balanced' was the subject of a recent lawsuit by Fox. Anyway, I would have to agree that Franken is rude beyond all pretense of satire. He's filled with the same kind of intolerance and hatred as Savage or Hannity.

Upvote 0

SqueezetheShaman

Jul 26, 2003
✟5,461.00
Faith
Agnostic
O'reilly and friends are liars. and like many conservatives, they focus much of their attention of events that aren't morally acceptable to them. They are morality police. Nothing more. And nothing makes me sicker than their type. They deserve everything they get. Their intelligence shines brightly when they do something stupid like promoting Als book with that stupid lawsuit. Blech! can't stand em. :)

Upvote 0

Firscherscherling

Liberal Filthy Hairless Pig-Monkey
Apr 9, 2003
✟3,271.00
Faith
Atheist
Philosoft said:
It's Al Franken's book. I think it reads "...A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right," as his use of 'fair and balanced' was the subject of a recent lawsuit by Fox. Anyway, I would have to agree that Franken is rude beyond all pretense of satire. He's filled with the same kind of intolerance and hatred as Savage or Hannity.

Uh, Franken is comedy. Satire. There is a big big difference.

Upvote 0

SqueezetheShaman

Jul 26, 2003
✟5,461.00
Faith
Agnostic
Pray4Isrel said:
I see no hatred in Hannity. Only brilliance that makes the left shudder because they can't defend themselves against his witty and intelligent rhetoric.
OY! if you say so lol. He and Oreilly (gosh i even shudder writing the name) are so transparent and obvious in their interviews (if you want to call them that). I loathe the way they don't let anyone speak unless they are between points. When they begin to make a point, the morons shut them up somehow. It is rude. It makes anyone with half a brain see them for what they are...vocal blowhards just like Rush. We may shudder...but it isn't at brilliance or wit, I can assure you.

Upvote 0
Philosoft said:
Anyway, I would have to agree that Franken is rude beyond all pretense of satire. He's filled with the same kind of intolerance and hatred as Savage or Hannity.

Nah, not really. I read the book this weekend. It's a little more political than funny, but he focussed on pointing out the tendency of conservative media to lie--which he proves, mind you, with thorough research that anyone with access to LexisNexis, Google, and a good library could double check.

Upvote 0

Lillithspeak

The Umbrella
Aug 26, 2003
Vermont
✟9,786.00
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Franken isn't rude, he uses satire to make a point. Hannity, O'Reilly and the majority of Fox commentators usea ploy called "Hysterical Outrage" to garner ratings.

Their other tool is interrupting anyone who is making a valid point. You can judge just how valid the point is by how fast and how LOUDLY they interrupt the speaker.

Now, having said that, here are a couple of facts about Bill: He graduated from Harvard (likes to call non-conservatives graduates of elitist schools) and although he proclaims himself to be non-partisan, changed his voter status to "independent" from Republican right before he started doing his show.

Even O'Reilly admitted that half of that 2 million member audience he claims are liberals who disagree with him. And that says something about his crowing about his ratings.

Oh, and then the constant shilling of his wares which is ever so classy too.

That's the NO SPIN guy for you.

And anybody who doesn't see the viciousness in Hannity isn't able to read body language and facial expressions very well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chuck_Darwin

Sep 21, 2002
Holland, Michigan
Visit site
✟1,023.00
Faith
Atheist
Last week I read Frankens book. I thought it was very funny but also very well researched. Finially a someone on the left that is not afraid to call the Neo-con's what they are; LAIRS. And he backs it up.
If someone in the media or politics lies then it is the right(I would say responsiblity) of the press to point it out. For the longest time the right wing has enjoyed immunity from criticism. Those days are finially over.

Upvote 0

ThePhoenix

Aug 12, 2003
✟5,476.00
Faith
Christian
cenimo said:
[/color][/font]

You mean like Hillary Clinton actually screaming at a political rally?
Wow, so the "liberals" have one person who does something stupid, and you guys think that makes up for Rush Limbaugh calling Chelsea (sp?) Clinton a dog? Or any of Ann Coulter's stunts (Calling everyone who disagrees with her traitors?)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goldstein

Gatherer.Of.Data
Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
✟8,048.00
Faith
Agnostic
Philosoft said:
While I do agree that Franken is somewhat rude and immature in his style of 'satire', I would argue that he is not nearly as hateful and intolerant (nor as stupid) as Savage, Hannity, or O'Reilly. Savage is one of the most bigoted, hateful men to ever be broadcasted nationally, hands down. O'Reilly is far more rude than Franken, if you listened to their exchange on the C-Span book expo that is obvious. O'Reilly also bashes gays and minorities quite a lot on his shows. Hannity spends all 3 hours of his radio show bashing "liberals" and "liberal democrats" using the same cliched rhetoric popularized by Rush. Whereas Franken, as far as I know, refrains from making blanket statements about conservatives (the title of his book notwithstanding:)). He always refers to specific instances of lies and hypocrisy by specific people such as O'Reilly.

Upvote 0

Lillithspeak

The Umbrella
Aug 26, 2003
Vermont
✟9,786.00
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
cenimo said:
[/color][/font]

You mean like Hillary Clinton actually screaming at a political rally?
This is appropro why? :confused: Because as usual you rightwing sorts cannot answer a criticism without using a red herring -specifically a Clinton. Tsk. Tsk. At least he wasn't like Richard Nixon-a criminal who had to THROWN out of office (oops, he "resigned")

Lillith

Upvote 0
Franken's research is well-documented.

Calling someone a 'liar' is bad only if it's not true. O'Reilly, Hannity, Coulter, etc have every legal right to sue Franken for liberal if anything in his book is untrue.

I especially appreciated Franken printing that little "inappropriate content" excerpt from O'Reilly's novel. LOL.

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
Pray4Isrel said:
I see no hatred in Hannity. Only brilliance that makes the left shudder because they can't defend themselves against his witty and intelligent rhetoric.
Jebus. I agree with Franken more than I disagree, yet I still condemn his methods. You could at least do the same for Hannity. You can just about see the steam coming from underneath his collar when they have some putative 'liberal' as a guest. Hannity is an angry man, without question.

Upvote 0