South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am wondering if most Baptists generally believe that abortion is a sin, even in the cases of rape or incest. Now I personally don't believe a woman's right to choose is leaving things to chance. Now I am not saying that women should not have the right to protect themselves and be chaste, but once a woman becomes pregnant with a child, or two, it is no longer just her own body. She is carrying a child inside her womb, so she is taking care of not just herself any longer, but her and someone else. There are videos, pics, etc of women who pretty much bagged about having abortions such as keeping one's figures or not wanting to raise a child in a cruel world.

I am just basing my opinion on how I interpret the Bible as I believe that the child in the womb as just as much a special creation as the mother (and father). While we are on the subject, some people believe in a woman's right to choose to do with her body, to some meaning the right to either have an abortion (especially in cases of rape or incest) or to keep her child. It is like two sides of the coin, either on one side, a woman has a right to choose to have an abortion if she wishes to to save the mother's or other reasons that I have mentioned before, but the other side is not for abortion and believes that one a child is conceived, he or she is a human being, even before he or she, or they is/are born. Having said that, what is really the Baptist Church's point or points of view about this very subject? What are your own views of abortion?

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It would probably depend on the church, there are several different types of Baptist. I am a Southern Baptist and most of the churches affiliated with the SBC would see abortion as a sin (perhaps all would but I cannot say with certainty). I personally see it as a sin.

Upvote 0

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am wondering if most Baptists generally believe that abortion is a sin, even in the cases of rape or incest. Now I personally don't believe a woman's right to choose is leaving things to chance. Now I am not saying that women should not have the right to protect themselves and be chaste, but once a woman becomes pregnant with a child, or two, it is no longer just her own body. She is carrying a child inside her womb, so she is taking care of not just herself any longer, but her and someone else. There are videos, pics, etc of women who pretty much bagged about having abortions such as keeping one's figures or not wanting to raise a child in a cruel world.

I am just basing my opinion on how I interpret the Bible as I believe that the child in the womb as just as much a special creation as the mother (and father). While we are on the subject, some people believe in a woman's right to choose to do with her body, to some meaning the right to either have an abortion (especially in cases of rape or incest) or to keep her child. It is like two sides of the coin, either on one side, a woman has a right to choose to have an abortion if she wishes to to save the mother's or other reasons that I have mentioned before, but the other side is not for abortion and believes that one a child is conceived, he or she is a human being, even before he or she, or they is/are born. Having said that, what is really the Baptist Church's point or points of view about this very subject? What are your own views of abortion?

I am not officially Baptist but I tend to agree with their theological positions. I know for sure that the SBC condemns abortion and you will find that probably all churches associated with the SBC condemn it as well. I don't even think rape or incest is a good enough reason for abortion.

Upvote 0

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Can I ask about the videos where women brag about having abortions to keep their figures?

Maybe I am being too strong, but I will show you at least one or two, with a couple of memes or pics.
My hope is that I haven't misinterpreted the content of these videos or pics. Maybe it is just women
who brag about it. No matter what, I have no clue what is so great about having an abortion.

4221396001_3485828853001_Screen-Shot-2014-04-19-at-18-24-08.jpg

I have to keep looking, but I'm sure videos about women who had abortions to keep their figures are out there somewhere.

Who is Josie Cunningham? From abortion threats to shocking Jimmy Savile claims

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Since the 1970's, especially within the SBC, we can see a shift towards liberalism. That only changed within the last 17 years. However that being said, liberalism is starting to show up more and more. Even within Baptist churches as seen in recent years by the "Gay" movement within all circles.

Now, that being said, you would have to read back in ancient Jewish (Hebrew) practices. I found out a few years ago that "abortions" were practiced in both OT and NT era.

This is also a fact, there is no scripture in either the Old or New Testaments that address this issue. What we know now is based upon interpretation of certain scriptures.

For example: "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations." -Jer. 1:15 (KJV)

We know, that God knew, had an intimate relationship with Jeremiah, and even sanctified him to be a prophet from a time before he was conceived in the womb.

David said: "Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me." -Psa. 51:1 (KJV)

Now I know that not the devil, not you, nor I can thwart God's Master Plan. But lets just suppose we could have. What would have happened if Jeremiah or David had been aborted?

Personally, based on the two scriptures above, I believe abortion is a sin.

Now that is my own personal opinion, and you can take my opinion and a buck fifty, and buy a Coke. :)

It does not matter what the SBC, or the ABC, or the RCC, or the CJCOLDS says.

All that does matter is what you believe?

Hunt for a church that believes and teaches the scripture, join with it, support it, work in it. And I bet you'll never regret it.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

My church is part of the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) and the SBC definitely sees abortion as sin. Here is a link to their 2015 Sanctity of Human Life Resolutions~~~> Southern Baptist Convention > On The Sanctity Of Human Life . Baptist churches work in a different manner than most, as each church is autonomous, so a church may be apart of the SBC but their beliefs may be different than the SBC's, giving way to the possibility that there may be a Baptist church out there that thinks abortion is ok, but I've never heard of one that does.

My personal belief is that abortion is the sin of "thou shalt not kill." The Bible never specifically addresses the issue of abortion. However, there are numerous teachings in Scripture that make it abundantly clear what God’s view of abortion is. Jeremiah 1:5 tells us that God knows us before He forms us in the womb. Psalms 139:13-16 speaks of God’s active role in our creation and formation in the womb. Exodus 21:22-25 prescribes the same penalty—death—for someone who causes the death of a baby in the womb as for someone who commits murder. This clearly indicates that God considers a baby in the womb to be as human as a full-grown adult. For the Christian, abortion is not a matter of a woman’s right to choose. It is a matter of the life or death of a human being made in God’s image (Genesis 1:26-27; 9:6).

What about cases of rape and/or incest? As horrible as it would be to become pregnant as a result of rape and/or incest, is the murder of a baby the answer? Two wrongs do not make a right. The child who is a result of rape/incest could be given in adoption or the child could be raised by the mother, if she so chooses. The baby is completely innocent and should not be punished for the evil acts of it's father. In cases where the life of the mother is at risk, ultimately, is a question that can only be decided between a husband, wife, and God.

Over 95 percent of the abortions performed today involve women who simply do not want to have a baby. Less than 5 percent of abortions are for the reasons of rape, incest, or the mother's health at risk. Even in the more difficult 5 percent of instances, abortion should never be the first option. The life of a human being in the womb is worth every effort to allow the child to be born.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I dont really think much on abortion..tamar was raped in the bible by ammon but did not have his child.

Another tamar commited incest with her father in law. She begat pharez who is in Jesus lineage.

The people that I know that confided or confessed they had abortions or were thinking did it not because they wanted to keep their figure or anything like that but because they were ashamed. They were not married, and the father of the child was not in aposition to be a dad. So basically they were fornicating.

But even the babes of fornicators...are human and precious to God.

king Herod tried to wipe out the israelite population by ordering all infants under 2 to be killed, as did the egyptians in moses time.

Most baptist churches would counsel mothers not to have abortions, but then most mothers in the baptist church would be married first. Its really for women who played the harlot..either that or they really were raped..but rape does not always end in pregancy. Thats not the intent of it. Often women are drugged/drunk and unaware of who they are sleeping with.
This does not mean that killing their child is the solution. paul does say women can be saved through childbirth. I know many many women who had children out of wedlock or in less than christian circumstances with the dad and they would not give up their children who love them for the world, their child has become their saving grace.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

Rodan6

Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2016
Highland, CA
✟86,675.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Many are quick to judge those who have abortions. Do not be so quick to assert God's position when it comes to such complex decisions. It is most foolish to condemn all abortions and the women and doctors who do them. Do you really believe that God wants a mother to die so that a unborn fetus can be carried to term--regardless of the viability of the child (serious birth defects or complications). Some say that it is better for both the mother and child to die than to perform a life saving abortion. How does God view such decisions? A 12 year old child is raped by an escaped convict--a man with an IQ of 75. Some would force the child to bear the child. How does God view this decision? How does God view the willful promotion of degenerate genes? Is it not better to keep government out of such decisions entirely?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wasn't it Rachel who died in childbirth or soon after. God stopped her womb and then opened it. It was for a reason, clearly.

I think the baptist churches counsel women but would never FORCE anyone to make a decision to keep the child if they truly did not want to go through with childbirth. But you need to go with the cases you KNOW not hypothetical situations. If you know of someone who's been raped and borne a child, you are in a position to judge or discern or you were one yourself, but if not, then its not good to say people are forced because that isn't the case. In a baptist church, we have free will, that's like a cornerstone of the whole baptist movement - believers baptism. NOBODY is forced to be baptised, everyone has a choice to follow God or not. Nobody is precluded from believing if they want to. And that includes children who are born illegitmate. Because we are BORN AGAIN anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know that my pastor who is now a granddad, he had four children, one of them actually did play the harlot or fornicated, got pregnant, had the child..the pastor is looking after the grandson right now. He wouldn't be doing this if his grandson was aborted. I wouldn't say he forced his daughter to have the child. She was forgiven.

Upvote 0

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd say most Baptists, even the fairly liberal ones, see abortion as murder and therefore a sin, but we would likely have different attitudes about it, politically. Not everyone who sees abortion as murder wants to see it banned.

Upvote 0

alex2165

Jan 2, 2014
✟11,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let forget whatever Baptists think about abortion, or other denominations, liberals, politicians, or society as whole.

If we are Christians we should look at this issue from the GOD’S point of view and His Statutes. There is no single verse in the Bible, as far as I know, contains word abortion. This issue even never been brought up or discussed in the Bible as a subject of Law or a certain commandment.

Did ancients even perform abortions? And if they did, for what reason? We know very well through the scriptures how precious every child was for a family in the Bible.

According to the Holy Scripture, all souls belong to GOD.

Psalm 104.29-30

29.You hide Your face, they are dismayed, You take away their spirit, *they expire and return to their dust. (KSB)

30.When You send forth Your Spirit they are created, and You renew the face of the ground.

Isaiah 42.1.5

5.Thus says GOD the Lord Who created Heavens and stretched them out, Who spread out the Earth and what comes from it, Who gives Breath to the people upon it, and spirit to those who walk in it.

Ezekiel 18.4-20

4."Know, that all lives are Mine, the life of the parent as well as the life of the child, is Mine, it is only the person who sins that shall die.”

Who created human being? Who created body of man and inserted living soul of GOD in him? And to Whom our body and soul belongs?

What kind of nonsense is this when some empty-headed liberals, pig-headed politicians, and all bunch of ungodly people, claiming that their body belongs to them! And they can do whatever they want with it!

Abortion is a first degree murder.

When cells in womb start dividing and creating human body according to their chromosomes and gene structure established by GOD in order for human beings to reproduce, the life of human being already has been conceive, and it is a life form being born according to its kind.

Whoever intervening with GOD’S process OF BIRTH, altered, stopping, or terminating it, commits MURDER.

Woman cannot control her own process of birth, she even has no idea how a human being began to form in her body, and the scientists as well. The process is extremely complex and will puzzle people for eternity.

Ecclesiastes 8.1.5.16-17

17.then I saw all the work of GOD that no one can find out what is happening under the sun. However, much they may toil in seeking they will not find it out, even though those who are wise claim to know, they cannot find it out.

If GOD give a child to a woman, He also have the right and terminated her pregnancy, but not a human being, humans have no right to do it, because body is not theirs and their soul is not theirs, and so they have no right to interrupt and interfere with the work and process of GOD.

I heard many times people say, “What about if woman was raped?” Or, if she has complications during her pregnancy? Shall we save her from her shame or her life from death?

Bible does not specify, recommended, or gives even a clue concerning abortion when a woman was raped. Abortion as such from the point of view of GOD is out of question, because all bodies and all souls belong only to Him, and only He can decide who is going to live and who is going to die, He does not give this decision to human being to perform then it comes to pregnancy.

So what the woman shall do with her unwanted child then? Woman can keep the child, or give it to adoption, which humane and right thing to do. It had been done for ages and works very well.

Why shall woman kill her own child through abortion then she can just give it away? Above all, after abortion many women, (not all, but many) cannot conceive any more even if they want to have a child later. So why not to give women another chance to have baby when time for them will be right?

It is always sounds to me so egoistic, selfish, and truly evil, when a woman decided to kill her own baby for whatever reason and not give it away instead, it is really demonic, satanic, and completely inhuman to do such thing.

So I would never accept any excuses presented by women who want to terminate their pregnancy.

And worst of all, they will be held responsible by the Lord for what they done, and this is not going to be pretty!

But I agree that exception can be made when a woman has difficult pregnancy, and in order to save her life her pregnancy can be terminated, so that at least one of them will survive and be saved.

• Agree
Reactions: LinaBellus
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am in Northern Ireland, where women can get an abortion but only in certain circumstances. The Baptist Church here is against abortion in any circumstances. There are those in this country who are campaigning for legislation to make abortion legal in cases of rape, incest or foetal abnormality, but I don't agree, although I know it is very difficult for the women concerned. Gillian

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

alex2165

Jan 2, 2014
✟11,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Gillian.

In early 90’s I traveled through Europe, and I visited almost every country on the continent. I also visited England and spent some time in London. But for some reason I never went further to visit Ireland or Scotland, which now I quite regret, but still I hope that in the future I may able to visit those countries.

In London I visited several different churches. They are all kind nice looking, built from stone, I assume in Gothic stile. But what really surprised me is that every church I visited has some kind of Christian relic.

I remember particularly one church, it was not big, but when I entered, in the corner I saw big glass box sitting on the wooden base, and inside of it I saw a complete human skeleton with gold ring and precious stones on fingers and if I remember right also on toes. And I think it also had some kind of crown on its head, made from gold and with stones in it.

Surprisingly, every church I visited was open, and the days I visited them were been working days and not weekends.

Ok, back to our theme, I heard that Ireland is very conservative country then it comes to abortion, and I heard same thing as you mentioned, that abortions still not permitted in Ireland, except certain conditions you described.

I also heard that some women travel from Ireland to other countries in order to perform abortion, because in Ireland it is much more difficult to do.

And I absolutely agree with you, that even those exceptional cases you mentioned, the abortion should not be permitted.

When you mentioned those cases in which abortions permitted, it immediately reminded me of the Eugenics, which became the standard in American society in the 20’ through the 40’s.

People have been classified in certain groups; in general it was three major groups: morons, idiots, nincompoops, and these are actually official definitions of the assessment of the human intelligence in those years.

Results of such “scientific” description and separation of human being, led to horrific medical experiments, family separations (children had been taken away to foster homes and for adaption, and even they have been also considered unfit for society and inferior to the rest of humanity), and denying of all human and civil rights, and even imprisonment.

Majority of such people who fell into those categories of inferiority according to Eugenics were mostly poor people, because American establishment at that time considered poor people mentally and psychologically unable to succeed in society, and because of it they fell into a group of “inferior stock.”

Nazis took this American ideology even further, they began exterminate all who in their point of view was found outside of the definition to be ‘normal,” or useful for society.

It seems to me that abortion issue today became exactly like Eugenics in the past. In Eugenics the political, medical, civil, and scientific establishments declared and legalized Eugenics as the scientific discipline, and implemented it with all it cruelty and barbarism against their own population.

Today in US the people are deeply divided on the issue of abortion. So called “Democrats” pushing for abortion rights, the Republicans go against it.

In some states women can chose to have abortion no matter what the reason is, it is no longer an issue, and abortions have been done according to the wish of the woman regardless of a reason, grounds, basis, or explanation.

Just like Eugenics, abortions today in some states became the issue of the right of the woman giving to her by society, and nothing else, so the murder can be performed legally and without any legal consequences for her.

I found abortion extremely barbaric, and despite the fact that we live in so called “civilized” societies, the evil of indifference to human life still remains strong as ever.

More details about eugenics you can find on the Internet.

God bless you.

Alex

Upvote 0

Uncle Tommy

Just a Christian
Dec 30, 2008
Probably sitting on my bed.
✟10,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On The Sanctity Of Human Life
2015 - Columbus, OH

WHEREAS, Biblical revelation clearly and consistently affirms that human life is formed by God in His image and is therefore worthy of honor and dignity (Genesis 1:27; 9:6); and

WHEREAS, God alone is the Author of life and He alone numbers our days, from the moment of conception until natural death (Job 14:5–7; Psalm 39:4); and

WHEREAS, The Bible commands us to honor our parents and the aged (Exodus 20:12; Leviticus 19:32; Ephesians 6:2); and

WHEREAS, The Baptist Faith & Message (2000) affirms that “children, from the moment of conception, are a blessing and heritage from the Lord” and calls us to “speak on behalf of the unborn and contend for the sanctity of all human life from conception to natural death”; and

WHEREAS, An estimated fifty-seven million unborn babies have been aborted since the legalization of abortion in 1973 (Roe v. Wade); and

WHEREAS, Legislation or court rulings have effectively legalized physician-assisted suicide in several states and additional states are considering similar action; and

WHEREAS, Recent federal directives seek to compel religious organizations to provide coverage for abortifacient technologies and services; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED, That the messengers to the Southern Baptist Convention meeting in Columbus, Ohio, June 16–17, 2015, affirm the dignity and sanctity of human life at all stages of development, from conception to natural death; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we reaffirm our repudiation of the genocide of legalized abortion in the United States and call on civil authorities to enact laws that defend the lives of the unborn; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we welcome and commend legislation that ensures that all mothers will be fully informed by medical providers of the life development of their unborn children; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we call on our fellow citizens of good will to collaborate with us on behalf of justice, the protection of human life, and the cause of human flourishing; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we encourage Southern Baptists to continue and to expand their local ministries that care for and protect the unborn, the vulnerable, and the aged; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we call on Southern Baptist churches and entities to show the love of Christ through appropriate means to those women most vulnerable to the victimization of the abortion industry, and to show grace and mercy to those individuals who grieve with repentance over past abortions; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we call on our churches and all believers to care for the elderly among us, to show them honor and dignity, and to prayerfully support and counsel those who are providing end-of-life care for the aged, the terminally ill, and the chronically infirmed; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we commend the efforts of our denominational entities, especially The Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, in the defense and protection of human life at every stage; and be it finally

RESOLVED, That we pray and work for the repeal of unjust laws and inhumane practices that degrade human life, all the while looking toward the day when our Lord will make all things new and “Death will no longer exist; grief, crying, and pain will exist no longer, because the previous things have passed away” (Revelation 21:4).

Permalink: Southern Baptist Convention > On The Sanctity Of Human Life

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
On The Sanctity Of Human Life
2015 - Columbus, OH

WHEREAS, Biblical revelation clearly and consistently affirms that human life is formed by God in His image and is therefore worthy of honor and dignity (Genesis 1:27; 9:6); and

WHEREAS, God alone is the Author of life and He alone numbers our days, from the moment of conception until natural death (Job 14:5–7; Psalm 39:4); and

WHEREAS, The Bible commands us to honor our parents and the aged (Exodus 20:12; Leviticus 19:32; Ephesians 6:2); and

WHEREAS, The Baptist Faith & Message (2000) affirms that “children, from the moment of conception, are a blessing and heritage from the Lord” and calls us to “speak on behalf of the unborn and contend for the sanctity of all human life from conception to natural death”; and

WHEREAS, An estimated fifty-seven million unborn babies have been aborted since the legalization of abortion in 1973 (Roe v. Wade); and

WHEREAS, Legislation or court rulings have effectively legalized physician-assisted suicide in several states and additional states are considering similar action; and

WHEREAS, Recent federal directives seek to compel religious organizations to provide coverage for abortifacient technologies and services; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED, That the messengers to the Southern Baptist Convention meeting in Columbus, Ohio, June 16–17, 2015, affirm the dignity and sanctity of human life at all stages of development, from conception to natural death; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we reaffirm our repudiation of the genocide of legalized abortion in the United States and call on civil authorities to enact laws that defend the lives of the unborn; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we welcome and commend legislation that ensures that all mothers will be fully informed by medical providers of the life development of their unborn children; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we call on our fellow citizens of good will to collaborate with us on behalf of justice, the protection of human life, and the cause of human flourishing; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we encourage Southern Baptists to continue and to expand their local ministries that care for and protect the unborn, the vulnerable, and the aged; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we call on Southern Baptist churches and entities to show the love of Christ through appropriate means to those women most vulnerable to the victimization of the abortion industry, and to show grace and mercy to those individuals who grieve with repentance over past abortions; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we call on our churches and all believers to care for the elderly among us, to show them honor and dignity, and to prayerfully support and counsel those who are providing end-of-life care for the aged, the terminally ill, and the chronically infirmed; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we commend the efforts of our denominational entities, especially The Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, in the defense and protection of human life at every stage; and be it finally

RESOLVED, That we pray and work for the repeal of unjust laws and inhumane practices that degrade human life, all the while looking toward the day when our Lord will make all things new and “Death will no longer exist; grief, crying, and pain will exist no longer, because the previous things have passed away” (Revelation 21:4).

Permalink: Southern Baptist Convention > On The Sanctity Of Human Life

Be that as it may, the SBC F&M of 2000, is NOT binding on any particular group.

It is not binding to Northern Baptists for example.

Nor is it binding on "Independent Baptists".

And one thing I know, since 1925, there has always been this clause:

"As introductory to the doctrinal articles, we recommend the adoption by the Convention of the following statement of the historic Baptist conception of the nature and function of confessions of faith in our religious and denominational life, believing that some such statement will clarify the atmosphere and remove some causes of misunderstandings, friction, and apprehension. Baptists approve and circulate confessions of faith with the following understandings, namely:

(1) That they constitute a consensus of opinion of some Baptist body, large or small, for the general instruction and guidance of our own people and others concerning those articles of the Christian faith which are most surely held among us. They are not intended to add anything to the simple conditions of salvation revealed in the New Testament, viz., repentance towards God, and faith in Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord.

(2) That we do not regard them as complete statements of our faith, having any quality of finality or infallibility. As in the past so in the future, Baptists should hold themselves free to revise their statements of faith as may seem to them wise and expedient at any time.

(3) That any group of Baptists, large or small, has the inherent right to draw up for themselves and publish to the world a confession of their faith whenever they may think it advisable to do so.

(4) That the sole authority for faith and practice among Baptists is the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments. Confessions are only guides in interpretation, having no authority over the conscience.

(5) That they are statements of religious convictions drawn from the Scriptures, and are not to be used to hamper freedom of thought or investigation in other realms of life."

1925 Baptist Faith and Message

Basically, you can agree to all or one, or none of their statements.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Uncle Tommy

Just a Christian
Dec 30, 2008
Probably sitting on my bed.
✟10,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Be that as it may, the SBC F&M of 2000, is NOT binding on any particular group.

It is not binding to Northern Baptists for example.

Nor is it binding on "Independent Baptists".

And one thing I know, since 1925, there has always been this clause:

"As introductory to the doctrinal articles, we recommend the adoption by the Convention of the following statement of the historic Baptist conception of the nature and function of confessions of faith in our religious and denominational life, believing that some such statement will clarify the atmosphere and remove some causes of misunderstandings, friction, and apprehension. Baptists approve and circulate confessions of faith with the following understandings, namely:

(1) That they constitute a consensus of opinion of some Baptist body, large or small, for the general instruction and guidance of our own people and others concerning those articles of the Christian faith which are most surely held among us. They are not intended to add anything to the simple conditions of salvation revealed in the New Testament, viz., repentance towards God, and faith in Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord.

(2) That we do not regard them as complete statements of our faith, having any quality of finality or infallibility. As in the past so in the future, Baptists should hold themselves free to revise their statements of faith as may seem to them wise and expedient at any time.

(3) That any group of Baptists, large or small, has the inherent right to draw up for themselves and publish to the world a confession of their faith whenever they may think it advisable to do so.

(4) That the sole authority for faith and practice among Baptists is the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments. Confessions are only guides in interpretation, having no authority over the conscience.

(5) That they are statements of religious convictions drawn from the Scriptures, and are not to be used to hamper freedom of thought or investigation in other realms of life."

1925 Baptist Faith and Message

Basically, you can agree to all or one, or none of their statements.

God Bless

Till all are one.
Indeed, but it was simply offered as a general response to a general question. I daresay most Baptists would agree with most of their position.

Upvote 0