Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Baptism of the Holy Spirit ...
how did it happen for you?

For me, I found myself becoming curious about it.
I had been a believer for many years, but felt that something was 'missing' in my life.
I heard persons talking on Christian television about this baptism,
and so I began to do some reading about it.
And I looked closely at what the Scriptures had to say ...

I had tried for years to live the Christian life ...
to do all the right things, not to sin, to be 'useful' to God ...
but it still seemed so much a struggle.
(I just could not 'change' myself! Frustration ... frustration ... frustration!)

So I found myself on a sort of mission, to learn all that I could about this baptism ...
and I decided to seek it for myself ...
as God continued to put this hunger for more of Him in my heart ...

I found myself spending more time in prayer and worship.
It was a seeking, a time of seeking ...
and one nite, apart from all the distractions of the world ...
while seeking and surrendering and praising the Lord ...
along with this song ...
'it' happened, for me!

... and my life has never since been the same!

Yes, life still does have its challenges ... its sometimes ups and downs ...
always will, this side of heaven ...
but when we receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit, we receive Power for living ...
His Power, to do all, be all, He has purposed and planned for our lives!

Our God is an Awesome God!

:plus:

"You will seek Me and find Me, when you seek Me with all your heart."
` Jeremiah 29:13

Reactions: tturt

Grace ambassador

Chris Endrizzi
Jul 16, 2016
Midwest USA
✟9,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Baptism of the Holy Spirit

Grace And Peace,
Precious friend. I cannot find "the
baptism OF The Holy Spirit" in Scripture. Please
advise "where" you did:

I profusely apologize, Just discovered that this is "Spirit-filled Charismatic" forum,
thus, The Rest of my
UNauthorized post has been deleted.
hope my question is "still ok"? Again, sorry...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was baptized by the Holy Spirit in a hospital bed, shortly after I was healed by the Lord Jesus Christ. A friend asked me if I had received my prayer language and when I responded 'no' he said to ask the Lord. I did and immediately began speaking in tongues, then read the New Testament for four days straight!

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There's "...the doctrine of baptisms,..." (Heb 6:2).

(Prepositions help -There's 3 baptisms)

1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus which reconciles us to God is the baptism for salvation. Baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ by believing in His death, burial, and resurrection.
(Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4-9, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13; Acts 2:38; Gal 3:27, II Cor 5;18).)

Water and Spirit baptism follows salvation - not in a set order though
2 - By another believer (water baptism) Jesus said "... fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness," All 3 persons of the Godhead endorsed it (Matt 3:13-16). (Matt 3:6,11 ; 28:18-20; Acts 8:39, 10:47, 22:16; John 3:5).

3 - By Jesus who sends the promise "of" the Father baptists us "by," "with" and "in" the Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism) includes when the Holy Spirit comes "upon" us, He endures us with power for service to Him and to keep His Word. We are to "...keep on being filled with the Spirit." (Acts 1:5, 8:14-17, 10:44-48, 11:16; Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; I Cor 12:13, Luk 24:49, Eph 5:18, Acts 4:31; I John 3:24; Eze 36:25-28; John 14:25-27).

These baptisms are different yet
"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tongues/His Spirit languages are available to every believer because tongues are a sign - To unbelievers By believers (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17) With the groups that received tongues in Scripture, it states "all" that were there received (Acts 4:31; 10:44-46; 19:2-6) Also, "Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?" Is referring to the gifts of tongues with interpretation which is often used in church gatherings and not all believers there would be used with that gift at the same time. So that means any believer can speak in tongues which is given to them by the Holy Spirit. I Cor 12-14.

Scripture says divers kinds of tongues:
_“
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:” I Cor 12:10
_“And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. I Cor 12:28

Some types:
Personal prayer language - Speaking to/with God
A-“But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,Jude 1:20;
B – “ For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.” I Cor 14;2
C- ““He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.” I Cor 14:4

Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in the Spirit (Rom 8:26-27)

Addressing the whole church/preferably with interpretation (I Cor 12: 10; 14:5, 26) that edifies the church

Magnifying the Lord in worship tongues (Acts 10:24, 45-6) Singing in tongues/worship activity (I Cor 14:14-15).

Evangelistic language - Speaking the message of God to a people in their own language (a language you haven't learned) Acts 2: 4, 6. 8

Our tongues no man can tame (Jam 3:8) but God can. All tongues can be interpreted "Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.” (Cor 14:13).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Grace ambassador

Chris Endrizzi
Jul 16, 2016
Midwest USA
✟9,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's "...the doctrine of baptisms,..." (Heb 6:2).

(Prepositions help -There's 3 baptisms)

1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus which reconciles us to God is the baptism for salvation. Baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ by believing in His death, burial, and resurrection.
(Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4-9, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13; Acts 2:38; Gal 3:27, II Cor 5;18).)

Water and Spirit baptism follows salvation - not in a set order though
2 - By another believer (water baptism) Jesus said "... fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness," All 3 persons of the Godhead endorsed it (Matt 3:13-16). (Matt 3:6,11 ; 28:18-20; Acts 8:39, 10:47, 22:16; John 3:5).

3 - By Jesus who sends the promise "of" the Father baptists us "by," "with" and "in" the Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism) includes when the Holy Spirit comes "upon" us, He endures us with power for service to Him and to keep His Word. We are to "...keep on being filled with the Spirit." (Acts 1:5, 8:14-17, 10:44-48, 11:16; Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; I Cor 12:13, Luk 24:49, Eph 5:18, Acts 4:31; I John 3:24; Eze 36:25-28; John 14:25-27).

These baptisms are different yet
"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

Precious friend, Thanks So Much for your help with the prepositions. I respect your view, and since mine is not permitted here, it will be in the Controversial section.

God Bless.

"To The Praise Of The Glory Of HIS {Amazing} GRACE!"

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Precious friend, Thanks So Much for your help with the prepositions. I respect your view, and since mine is not permitted here, it will be in the Controversial section.

God Bless.

"To The Praise Of The Glory Of HIS {Amazing} GRACE!"

Now this is how Christians should disagree with one another! Love you bro!

Upvote 0

Grace ambassador

Chris Endrizzi
Jul 16, 2016
Midwest USA
✟9,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now this is how Christians should disagree with one another! Love you bro!

Thanks So Much for your Awesome Encouragement!
Precious friend(s), see you In God's Great GloryLand!!:amen:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟437,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thank you for respecting the guidelines for this forum, and the beliefs of some of us that post here.

In hindsight, I actually think I may have made an error in creating this thread in this subforum. I forget, that not all who consider themselves 'Spirit filled' ... or charismatic ... also believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit. So to post here on this subject can become controversial; potentially divisive. Thank you for not making it so. :blush:

(This thread probably more appropriately belongs in the Pentecostal & Assemblies of God subforum, a faith group where many believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit.)

God bless.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for respecting the guidelines for this forum, and the beliefs of some of us that post here.

In hindsight, I actually think I may have made an error in creating this thread in this subforum. I forget, that not all who consider themselves 'Spirit filled' ... or charismatic ... also believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit. So to post here on this subject can become controversial; potentially divisive. Thank you for not making it so. :blush:

(This thread probably more appropriately belongs in the Pentecostal & Assemblies of God subforum, a faith group where many believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit.)

God bless.

Nah, this is the right place if I understand right. Unless things have changed over the years, The Spirit-filled/Christmatic forum is for those who believe in the sign gifts being for today, but may not ascribe to Pentecostal/AoG or Word of Faith or to a whole other denomination altogether

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums