England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
(Acts 8:12) The converts at Samaria 'were baptized in water,both men and women. Then a few days later Peter and John came and laid hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
(Acts 10:44-48) 'While Peter was still speaking these words,the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word and those of the circumcision who believed were astonished,as many as came with Peter,because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God. Then Peter answered. Can anyone forbid water that these should not be baptize who have received the Holy Spirit,just as we have? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the LORD..'

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
In Acts 9 we read of the conversion of Saul on the Road to Damascus. And a few days later a brother Ananias was sent to minister to him and he received his sight back and was filled with the Holy Spirit. We know that Paul spoke in tongues more than us all and said 'I would that you all spoke in tongues'

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟979,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hallelujah Lord for the light that has shown on your people, blessed Redeemer, open hearts across the globe Lord at the hearing of the truth bless God, no other weapon is necessary to combat the evil one holding people in bondage, free the captives Lord, bless all who make the Gospel an unmistakable fortress with which to run, love and be loved, Hallelujah!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The forum teaching is that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit should follow conversion and the initial evidence is speaking in tongues but is not essential for salvation.

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

Acts 2:38 Salvation
May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The forum teaching is that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit should follow conversion and the initial evidence is speaking in tongues but is not essential for salvation.
"Except a man be born of the water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter the Kingdom of God." (John 3:5)
Does the capital "S" in Spirit address the Holy Spirit? If this verse is referencing being baptized with the Spirit, or "filled" with the Spirit in other words, then the initial evidence would be tongues. That's true. In literal interpretation, doesn't this verse instruct all Christians to be Spirit-filled, evidenced by tongues?

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Being born again is an operation of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit indwells the born again Christian after repenting and accepting Christ within as Savior and LORD. Baptism in water follows usually,but there are exceptions. The believer then goes on to be Baptised in the Holy Spirit. That is to be filled with the Spirit. The Holy Spirit overflows and speaking in tongues is the evidence and power is received to be a witness for Christ

Upvote 0

Ovlov90

Dec 7, 2017
Napanoch
✟12,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Contrary to that I recieved Spirit at moment of conversion and have never spoken in tongues. Nor do I desire it. Much twisted in modern evangelicalism. Tongues are not exclusive to Christians. Hindus speak in tongues. Among others. Also I believe the tongues in acts were known languages, thus reversing what had happened at Babel.

• Agree
Reactions: Almost there
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Contrary to that I recieved Spirit at moment of conversion and have never spoken in tongues. Nor do I desire it. Much twisted in modern evangelicalism. Tongues are not exclusive to Christians. Hindus speak in tongues. Among others. Also I believe the tongues in acts were known languages, thus reversing what had happened at Babel.
Nice to meet you. Your views are contrary to the guidelines of this particular forum. God bless you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ovlov90

Dec 7, 2017
Napanoch
✟12,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
I do attend an AOG church. Have for twenty five yrs. I do not agree with every statement of faith, but the only other choice is cessasionist congregations. This is my family. I have caused some discomfort there, but who knows, maybe one of my brothers or sisters will convince me theyre correct. I have been wrong before. Its why we congregate. To grow. In the Lord.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I do attend an AOG church. Have for twenty five yrs. I do not agree with every statement of faith, but the only other choice is cessasionist congregations. This is my family. I have caused some discomfort there, but who knows, maybe one of my brothers or sisters will convince me theyre correct. I have been wrong before. Its why we congregate. To grow. In the Lord.
We love you

Upvote 0

Ovlov90

Dec 7, 2017
Napanoch
✟12,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Justt cathong up here. Yup, I did disagree w/ forum teaching. But at conversion I recognised the Bible was true. I KNEW the Bible and Word. I cant explain it. But as Ive understood it that cant take place w/out the Spirit. Folks did pray over me but no tongues. As they did so it seemed as though it was already there and you cant put something in where it already is. Im speaking experiences, not feelings. Water baptism was so great! We did it in Ball Pond, New Fairfield Ct A several acre pond in the center of a houseing development. PastorTim went in rib deep and baptised 5 of us that day. To experience what John did to Jesus was amazeimg. All I could think about was I was doing the same as they did and we were them and they us and they were present w/ us and we w/ them like a tunnel through space and time at that moment. They were there. And He accepted me as one. Not disagreeing in concept just not a pat 1, 2, 3. All true believers will be Spirit filled and water immersed. Isnt that required in order to be in communion, Lords Supper?

Upvote 0