Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK, maybe that's true... doesn't really matter, does it? I told you, I have no issue with Greek... we have what God preserved for us. :) Be well.

Thanks! It doesn't matter to me...unless somebody is pressing the primacy of a particular pronunciation of something as a law of God (as in: 'you're not blessed if you don't pronounce God's name properly'), and then it matters to me because that belief itself is wrong and I want to hit at it.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks! It doesn't matter to me...unless somebody is pressing the primacy of a particular pronunciation of something as a law of God (as in: 'you're not blessed if you don't pronounce God's name properly'), and then it matters to me because that belief itself is wrong and I want to hit at it.
Don't worry... while I might be odd in certain practices and beliefs to you, I respect where each person is and believe that unity in the body is more important than some of the pet doctrinal positions that divide us.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Or not. This is an article of faith, that God had anything to do with the preservation of manuscripts.
Belief or faith(?).... there is a difference. I believe we have what He desired for us and also what He didn't desire for us... like the wheat and tares who grow together until the end, we also have various writings we could call wheat or tares and they exist together and we have to rightly divide our way through it all. Blessings my friend.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Based on what? Something you have accepted as Scripture a priori? That would be a bit circular, wouldn't it?
We've had a good relationship on here and I have enjoyed our interactions. Please don't become one who asks a question, assumes I have no answer, and answers it for me, perhaps even demeaning me in the process. At least ask me if my reasoning is circular AFTER you hear my answer. :)

If God knew we would fall before He even created us (Rev. 13:8, Gen. 1:14 and I can explain the latter if need be) and He went through with creating us anyway... then we know that "everything" He did from the moment He said "Let there be light" was with restoration in mind as an end result. Therefore, if Yeshua is the door of salvation, then it stands to reason that God would have made sure at least enough information was preserved that we could make an intelligent and heart based decision at some point in the future. Therefore, I believe God did indeed preserve what we needed to make that decision.

Reactions: Andy centek
Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In these last days, more and more Christians are beginning to recognize the power and authority of the name of the Lord. As we move closer to the end, I see confusion among brothers and sisters about the name.Some call Him by one name, and some call Him another name. I want to discuss this because I think Satan may be at work deceiving people into using another name for our Lord than the one we were given. So, here is what the Bible calls Him

Matt. 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Luke 2:21 And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

Acts 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Acts 4:18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.

Philippians 2: 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

So do we trust the name that the Bible gives us as THE NAME? Or, do we foolishly follow another name that scripture does not give us?

Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Handmaid:

You would do well to see who Jesus was talking to when He made His statements. He did not address the Gentiles in the so-called New Testament, He was address the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Paul addressed the Gentiles in His ministry.

Andy Centek

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In these last days, more and more Christians are beginning to recognize the power and authority of the name of the Lord. As we move closer to the end, I see confusion among brothers and sisters about the name.Some call Him by one name, and some call Him another name. I want to discuss this because I think Satan may be at work deceiving people into using another name for our Lord than the one we were given. So, here is what the Bible calls Him

Matt. 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Luke 2:21 And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

Acts 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Acts 4:18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.

Philippians 2: 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

So do we trust the name that the Bible gives us as THE NAME? Or, do we foolishly follow another name that scripture does not give us?

The name of Jesus literally means ‘the savior’ but spiritually it means “God with us’ Immanuel and as both He gives us rest. Hebrews 4:8; Matthew 11:28-29
The prayer that Jesus taught included sanctifying His Name in the Father; Your kingdom come to the Son; Your will be done as to the Holy Spirit. We in turn are to treat the Name of the Godhead as sanctified or made holy. in our lives. Christians bow to this now but soon the whole world will bend it’s knee to the Name above all Names when the Name of God will be excellent in all the earth ; the kingdom of the world will become the Kingdom of Christ and God’s will be accomplished. Secondly the prayer shows His care for our needs.
Christ’s authority, or approval, didn’t extend to some of those that did many works of wonder in His Name and considered them lawlessness because they weren’t done according to God’s will. So even those things done in His Name will He tell to depart from Him so as not to be included in the coming kingdom.
Mostly the Name of the Lord is His expression of the Lord Himself. For the church to deviate from that which He has expressed is for it to take on another name, not the correct term of Husband but that of Ba’al.
For Christians to be in His Name is to be in His image.

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
The name of Jesus literally means ‘the savior’ but spiritually it means “God with us’ Immanuel and as both He gives us rest. Hebrews 4:8; Matthew 11:28-29
The prayer that Jesus taught included sanctifying His Name in the Father; Your kingdom come to the Son; Your will be done as to the Holy Spirit. We in turn are to treat the Name of the Godhead as sanctified or made holy. in our lives. Christians bow to this now but soon the whole world will bend it’s knee to the Name above all Names when the Name of God will be excellent in all the earth ; the kingdom of the world will become the Kingdom of Christ and God’s will be accomplished. Secondly the prayer shows His care for our needs.
Christ’s authority, or approval, didn’t extend to some of those that did many works of wonder in His Name and considered them lawlessness because they weren’t done according to God’s will. So even those things done in His Name will He tell to depart from Him so as not to be included in the coming kingdom.
Mostly the Name of the Lord is His expression of the Lord Himself. For the church to deviate from that which He has expressed is for it to take on another name, not the correct term of Husband but that of Ba’al.
For Christians to be in His Name is to be in His image.
Thank you Sister . There seems to be some confusion in Christianity as to what the term " name" even means or meant to the Hebrews . As you mentioned , names had a descriptive meaning to the Hebrews ...Thus God's reply to Moses ..tell them that "I Am" sent you . ( That is not a good translation of God's holy name but being flesh , I can not with words convey every thing He is .)
Also in John ...the Word became flesh in Greek would be rendered ..The Logos became flesh and dwelt among us ...The Logos ..The Reason ..the Purpose..The Understanding . The Authority.

I used to be in advertising before becoming a follower of Christ and it is not lost on me that the the term Logo is used for branding purposes ...It is the Identity of a company and relays an understanding of what that company stands for. Christ is of course the identity of God . Love in the flesh . Truth in the flesh . Glory in the flesh . Sacrifice in the flesh . Lowly and meek ...unassuming....How wonderful our God !
Thank you again for crunching this bone to the marrow ..for bringing life from the dead understandings of the Name above all Names ..Grace and Peace through His name

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,298.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thank you again for crunching this bone to the marrow ..for bringing life from the dead understandings of the Name above all Names ..Grace and Peace through His name
So if someone asks you who is your Lord, what name would you give?

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
So if someone asks you who is your Lord, what name would you give?
Hi Sister ..Since I am an english speaker like you , I would answer Jesus of Nazareth for I know who has bought me . Of course how we pronounce the name has no bearing on the truth for Peter did not say " In the name of Jesus of Nazareth rise up and walk " for the english language did not exist as we know it for another 1000 plus years . Peter probably said Yeshua for there was no letter J for many years . Peter may have spoken some Greek but if he were speaking to a hebrew audience ..he would probably have said Yeshua . Was peter lost because he did not know how to pronounce Jesus in english ? I do not think so and nor do you of course . Let us be careful not to make the pronunciation of His name a magic charm of some sort . The JW do as much with the name of God which they say is Jehovah ....again no J in Hebrew . There is a group called Hebrew Roots which insist we have to say Yeshua ..which is Jesus' name in Hebrew ...How many languages does God understand ? All that call on Him in truth . Be blessed my dear sister..and be careful of legalism in all it's forms ..it will puff us up in pride rather than working humility which is what true grace does.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,298.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi Sister ..Since I am an english speaker like you , I would answer Jesus of Nazareth for I know who has bought me . Of course how we pronounce the name has no bearing on the truth for Peter did not say " In the name of Jesus of Nazareth rise up and walk " for the english language did not exist as we know it for another 1000 plus years . Peter probably said Yeshua for there was no letter J for many years . Peter may have spoken some Greek but if he were speaking to a hebrew audience ..he would probably have said Yeshua . Was peter lost because he did not know how to pronounce Jesus in english ? I do not think so and nor do you of course . Let us be careful not to make the pronunciation of His name a magic charm of some sort . The JW do as much with the name of God which they say is Jehovah ....again no J in Hebrew . There is a group called Hebrew Roots which insist we have to say Yeshua ..which is Jesus' name in Hebrew ...How many languages does God understand ? All that call on Him in truth . Be blessed my dear sister..and be careful of legalism in all it's forms ..it will puff us up in pride rather than working humility which is what true grace does.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. My concern in the OP is that in my heart, I see English speaking believers abandoning the name of Jesus that is in our English Bibles. Mind you, I have no problem with the Hebrew pronunciation Of Lord Jesus' name, and I am not advocating legalism, or using the name of Lord Jesus as a " magic charm". That is a disgusting thought. But,people are beginning to chastise those of us who use the name of Jesus, saying that Jesus is NOT His name. Even this has been said on this thread.The name of Jesus has become offensive to many, even to some Christians. But Jesus is the name in our English Bibles. I see subtle deception creeping in that, imho, people don't want to see. Maybe I am wrong, but imho if the Bible calls Him Jesus, that is the name that English speakers should use. If you have read my posts, you know that I have said that I see the name of Jesus falling into disuse in favor of the other names. We who use the name of Jesus, even now, are being persecuted for the name of Jesus. You may not see it, but I do, for I have experienced it. That is why I started this thread in the first place.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. My concern in the OP is that in my heart, I see English speaking believers abandoning the name of Jesus that is in our English Bibles.

My only word here would be that if somebody... like myself for example, began to use Yeshua rather than Jesus... then I have no abandoned him at all and have instead simply drawn closer to HIM according to conviction and current understanding. We each should be allowed to work this out without guilt from others who don't see it as we do. :)

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
My only word here would be that if somebody... like myself for example, began to use Yeshua rather than Jesus... then I have no abandoned him at all and have instead simply drawn closer to HIM according to conviction and current understanding. We each should be allowed to work this out without guilt from others who don't see it as we do. :)

Yeah, but you've gotta admit, using 'Yeshua' is often like a secret handshake.

"A secret handshake is a distinct form of handshake or greeting which conveys membership in or loyalty to a club, clique or subculture"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

"A secret handshake is a distinct form of handshake or greeting which conveys membership in or loyalty to a club, clique or subculture"
Not really... at this point, thanks to the net and Mel Gibson, few Christians are unfamiliar with Yeshua. And, when it comes to people like me, I am aware of my surroundings. If I find myself giving a talk at a more mainstream church, which does happen from time to time... I use Jesus. If among those who are more Hebraically centered, I use Yeshua.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

How much does a secret handshakes or different names for Jesus produce if God does not supply the increase anyway :| and certainly motive is what God looks at. It used to be that people would talk about God all the time but if Jesus was mentioned one would be deemed a freak. I'm sure Jesus would say "hey if their talkin about Me they ain' talking aginst Me" ;) There's nothing done in secret. But thanks for the headsup on the secret handshake., Must be the new lisp about town. :)

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,298.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How much does a secret handshakes or different names for Jesus produce if God does not supply the increase anyway :| and certainly motive is what God looks at. It used to be that people would talk about God all the time but if Jesus was mentioned one would be deemed a freak. I'm sure Jesus would say "hey if their talkin about Me they ain' talking aginst Me" ;) There's nothing done in secret. But thanks for the headsup on the secret handshake., Must be the new lisp about town. :)

Sis, it is this way now, today! No other name gets people's back up like Jesus.And, imho,the use of the other names, IS like a secret handshake, saying, "I know His real name and others don't. It is intellectual one up manship imho. The lust to "know" more than the next person. I use the name of Jesus because that is the name given in English translations of the Bible .

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sis, it is this way now, today! No other name gets people's back up like Jesus.And, imho,the use of the other names, IS like a secret handshake, saying, "I know His real name and others don't. It is intellectual one up manship imho. The lust to "know" more than the next person. I use the name of Jesus because that is the name given in English translations of the Bible .
Someone was saying that they had no choice in who they choose to associate with but that's not true. Cliques are the reward in themselves imo. But if anyone is offensive about how you prefer to pronounce Jesus' Name that's the same imho as calling them not a Christian and a report on them doing so every time may be able to curtail it?

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi Sister ..Yes ..I agree in that I am aware of the hebrew roots movement for which I am concerned that it is the same movement which Paul encountered in Galatia . ( i.e You must be circumcised and keep the law of Moses , etc. ) The "secret handshake" of speaking Hebrew mentality is potentially another form of gnosticism aka "works based " or knowledge based salvation . I am not opposed to those who keep a Saturday Sabbath verses the protestant keeping of the Lord's Day unless either becomes another gospel and leads us to think we are more spiritual because we do thus and so . ( Same thing with Jesus' name which is big in some pentecostal's understanding . ) The danger is letting a truth become The Truth . I see the same thing potentially in some of the plain groups with whom I have fellowshipped ..the head covering of women when they pray in order to demonstrate the power of Jesus' submission , can become a form of righteousness and like the Galatians who desired the circumcision of gentile believers , we can promote certain doctrines so that we may glory in their flesh . ( Quite a paradox but there is I believe grace for things we do not know provided we have love which covers a multitude of sins . ) Grace and peace through the Name ( authority ) which has been given by God our Father to the glory of His Son , Jesus Christ .

Upvote 0