enroute
✟1,404,805.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In these last days, more and more Christians are beginning to recognize the power and authority of the name of the Lord. As we move closer to the end, I see confusion among brothers and sisters about the name.Some call Him by one name, and some call Him another name. I want to discuss this because I think Satan may be at work deceiving people into using another name for our Lord than the one we were given. So, here is what the Bible calls Him

Matt. 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Luke 2:21 And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

Acts 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Acts 4:18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.

Philippians 2: 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

So do we trust the name that the Bible gives us as THE NAME? Or, do we foolishly follow another name that scripture does not give us?

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In these last days, more and more Christians are beginning to recognize the power and authority of the name of the Lord. As we move closer to the end, I see confusion among brothers and sisters about the name.Some call Him by one name, and some call Him another name. I want to discuss this because I think Satan may be at work deceiving people into using another name for our Lord than the one we were given. So, here is what the Bible calls Him

Matt. 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Luke 2:21 And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

Acts 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Acts 4:18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.

Philippians 2: 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

So do we trust the name that the Bible gives us as THE NAME? Or, do we foolishly follow another name that scripture does not give us?
Respectfully... the power is not in what we CALL him, the power is in his name (His authority). In Hebrew, the word for name is shem and when the bible says to walk in the name of God... it isn't like you are pulling up letters or a spoken word as if socks, right? No, walking in His name, His shem, is walking in His will, His authority, in a manner that reflects His character and adds to His reputation.

The opposite is profaning His name. That has nothing to do with not saying His name or mispronouncing it or anything like that. Profaning His name is walking in a manner that does not reflect His character, detracts from His reputation, and stands outside His will and authority.

So... we have the name above every name but Jesus isn't even what he was known as anyway. He was known as Yehoshua, if they emphasized the Hebrew, or Yeshua if Aramaic. But that isn't relevant... what is, is that his name being above all names means he is the authority above all authorities. We are baptized into that name...no, not a collection of letters or a spoken word, we are immersed into His authority over the grave.

So while I appreciate your zeal and love for Messiah... it is not a word that stands above all... it is a character, a reputation, an authority... even a power that stands above all.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,805.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So while I appreciate your zeal and love for Messiah... it is not a word that stands above all... it is a character, a reputation, an authority... even a power that stands above all.

Scripture says Jesus is the name above every other name. It is the name we are instructed to use. It is the name scripture says the Apostles used to heal the sick, to cast out demons, and raise the dead.

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Scripture says Jesus is the name above every other name. It is the name we are instructed to use. It is the name scripture says the Apostles used to heal the sick, to cast out demons, and raise the dead.
In Hebrew, shem (name) deals more with the character, reputation, authority (and in God's case, power) of the name bearer. So when it says "given him a name which is above every name" it is saying, "given him an authority or power which is above all authorities and powers." At the name of Yeshua... the authority or power of Yeshua, will every knee bow.

And again, not that it matters, but "Jesus" is NOT the name he heard when he walked the earth. I don't see an issue in using it, but he never heard that name and neither did the author who wrote, "at that name should every knee bow."

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,805.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In Hebrew, shem (name) deals more with the character, reputation, authority (and in God's case, power) of the name bearer. So when it says "given him a name which is above every name" it is saying, "given him an authority or power which is above all authorities and powers." At the name of Yeshua... the authority or power of Yeshua, will every knee bow.

And again, not that it matters, but "Jesus" is NOT the name he heard when he walked the earth. I don't see an issue in using it, but he never heard that name and neither did the author who wrote, "at that name should every knee bow."
In scripture,New Testament, the name is Jesus. Now if you believe that scripture has the name wrong, how much more scripture do you believe is wrong? Scripture does not use the Hebrew. I think the Holy Spirit would have used Yeshua, or Yehoshoah, or whatever if that was to be the name believers were to use.

• Agree
Reactions: seventysevens
Upvote 0

seventysevens

Feb 27, 2017
USA
✟38,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus name is spelled differently in various languages , in the western world Jesus is predominantly used

Matthew 1:23
Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

I have wondered why Emmanuel is used in this scripture and using Jesus in the rest of the bible

I use both Jesus and Yeshua, and Yehoshoah
I think that using Jesus in an English speaking manner is used in Israel but mostly they use their own language when living there , the return of using their original language is a old prophecy come true

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,805.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Jesus name is spelled differently in various languages , in the western world Jesus is predominantly used

Matthew 1:23
Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

I have wondered why Emmanuel is used in this scripture and using Jesus in the rest of the bible

I use both Jesus and Yeshua, and Yehoshoah
I think that using Jesus in an English speaking manner is used in Israel but mostly they use their own language when living there , the return of using their original language is a old prophecy come true

So, shall we trust the scripture that says His name is Jesus? I think that the Holy Spirit put the scriptures together in the New Testament .I also believe Satan has sown confusion into the Body of Christ with these other names. The Holy Spirit is not the author of confusion. Lord Jesus said that we are to ask in His name. I have not seen Yeshua or Yehoshoah used in scripture.The devil does not want us to use the name given in scrpture because it is power over him.

Upvote 0

seventysevens

Feb 27, 2017
USA
✟38,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are the names Yeshua or Yehoshoah , names you object to ? Do we see the name of YHWH in English translations ? If not does that mean it is not a valid name of God ? When the scriptures were originally written they were not written in English - is Michael the arch angel a translated name ? Miquel maybe ?
I'm really not sure what names you are referring to as there are also titles/names of God such as
El Shaddai -ELOHIM- ADONAI and others

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In scripture,New Testament, the name is Jesus. Now if you believe that scripture has the name wrong, how much more scripture do you believe is wrong? Scripture does not use the Hebrew. I think the Holy Spirit would have used Yeshua, or Yehoshoah, or whatever if that was to be the name believers were to use.
I don't have an issue with the name Jesus, but it isn't his name. Just look at the underlying Greek and you'll find Iesous. That Greek form is a transliteration of the Hebrew Yehoshua (both points easily verified by looking in a Strong's). The Greek form went into Latin as Iesus WHERE IT WAS RETAINED in the first KJV and other early English bibles. When the letter "J" was created, in the mid-1600's, it replaced the "I" but retained the "Y" sound, as in "Hallelujah." When the French language influenced American English in the early 1800's, the "J" began to take on the hard sound we hear today. So "Jesus" as you hear it with your ears, as you pronounce it... has only been pronounced that way for less than 250 years.

None of that is relevant to my point. To walk in the name of the Lord has >>nothing<< to do with saying or not saying Jesus or Yeshua or anything else. It has to do with behavior that is consistent with His character.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,805.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Are the names Yeshua or Yehoshoah , names you object to ? Do we see the name of YHWH in English translations ? If not does that mean it is not a valid name of God ? When the scriptures were originally written they were not written in English - is Michael the arch angel a translated name ? Miquel maybe ?
I'm really not sure what names you are referring to as there are also titles/names of God such as
El Shaddai -ELOHIM- ADONAI and others

It is not that I object to those names. It is more that I see those names as confusing to novices to the faith.Likewise, the scriptures tell us that the authority is in the use of the name of Jesus. The use of Yeshua, Yehoshoah were not in wide use when I first believed. Then, people did everything in the name of Jesus. Today we have people scolding folks for using the name of Jesus, even saying Jesus is not His name. The name of Jesus causes much offense. Also,if we are not careful, the name of Jesus will fall into disuse . Do you pray in the name of Yehoshoah. I think Christians are being deceived. I can see challenges to our faith when some atheist or agnostic boldly gets in our faces and say we don't even know what name to call Him. You can't see this happening? I see it. Scripture that is translated into English says that the name of Jesus is above every other name. Either we trust that our scripture tells us the truth, or we believe the " Hath God really said" of the enemy.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is not that I object to those names. It is more that I see those names as confusing to novices to the faith.Likewise, the scriptures tell us that the authority is in the us of the name of Jesus. The use of Yeshua, Yehoshoah were not in wide use when I first believed. Then, people did everything in the name of Jesus. Today we have people scolding folks for using the name of Jesus, even saying Jesus is not His name. The name of Jesus causes much offense. Also,if we are not careful, the name of Jesus will fall into disuse . Do you pray in the name of Yehoshoah. I think Christians are being deceived. I can see challenges to our faith when some atheist or agnostic boldly gets in our faces and say we don't even know what name to call Him. You can't see this happening? I see it. Scripture that is translated into English says that the name of Jesus is above every other name. Either we trust that our scripture tells us the truth, or we believe the " Hath God really said" of the enemy.
Why would it be confusing? If that is his name and these novices are shown that from the beginning, then that is what they will know.

And again... you don't pray in his name by saying his name. That is using an English concept and forcing into an ancient near eastern practice. What do I mean? The bible wasn't written in 21st century California, it was written in 1st century Judea. Therefore, words and phrases need to be defined as they were used in the day they were written. So, praying in His name has NOTHING to do with saying "Jesus".... it meant to pray in His will, according to His authority. Jesus was a Jew... a to a Jew today AND back then... name = the character, reputation, authority and/or power of the name bearer.

If we think we get what we want when we say the magic word at the end of a prayer, not only is that NOT in his name, it actually treats him like a genie here to do our bidding rather than us being here to serve him.

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,805.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
None of that is relevant to my point. To walk in the name of the Lord has >>nothing<< to do with saying or not saying Jesus or Yeshua or anything else. It has to do with behavior that is consistent with His character.

So, if someone asks you who is your Lord, What is your reply?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, if someone asks you who is your Lord, What is your reply?
Depends on who I am talking to. Often I will say Jesus, sometimes Yeshua... again though, not my point.

When you see the word "name" in the bible, you are thinking, "what we call him." But that is NOT what he would have thought when he saw shem (name) written in the bible in his day. He would have understood that shem meant the character, reputation, or authority of the name bearer. Do you understand? To profane God's name has NOTHING to do with saying or not saying YHWH (or whatever you call Him). To profane the name of God is to profane His character, take from His reputation, or stand outside His authority. To walk in His name is to walk in a manner that reflects His character, adds to His reputation, and is within His will and authority. That is the point here... not what we call him, but rather... what "name" means to a first century Hebrew. It doesn't mean how we treat it today in our language and thus we lose some context when we impose our modern definition onto the text.

The name above every name means the authority and power above all authorities and powers.

Blessings.
Ken

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,805.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Depends on who I am talking to. Often I will say Jesus, sometimes Yeshua... again though, not my point.

When you see the word "name" in the bible, you are thinking, "what we call him." But that is NOT what he would have thought when he saw shem (name) written in the bible in his day. He would have understood that shem meant the character, reputation, or authority of the name bearer. Do you understand? To profane God's name has NOTHING to do with saying or not saying YHWH (or whatever you call Him). To profane the name of God is to profane His character, take from His reputation, or stand outside His authority. To walk in His name is to walk in a manner that reflects His character, adds to His reputation, and is within His will and authority. That is the point here... not what we call him, but rather... what "name" means to a first century Hebrew. It doesn't mean how we treat it today in our language and thus we lose some context when we impose our modern definition onto the text.

The name above every name means the authority and power above all authorities and powers.

Blessings.
Ken

So in your eyes, the words written in the Bible does not matter? OK, you go ahead with that philosophy. I hope for the sake of your soul that it is not vain. The Gospel is simple. It seems to me that a lot of people want to complicate things when it is simple. I wonder sometimes if modern Christians understand the simplicity of the scripture.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So in your eyes, the words written in the Bible does not matter?

Very much so... but I also recognize that definitions matter and if a word meant something long ago, and it no longer means that today... then we have to use the definition that was in place when the letter that used the word in the first place, was written.

Let me give you an example. You open an old book in a box and find out that in it, is a letter written by your great grandfather to his boss. And in that letter you read these words, "I am feeling very gay today." Are you going to insist that your great grandfather was a homosexual or recognize that 100 years ago there was no association at all between the word "gay" and homosexuality and that your great grandfather was merely "happy?"

TODAY... when we see the word "name" we think "what we call somebody." But 2000 years ago, in Judea, when they heard the word "name" they thought, "name bearers character, reputation, and authority." Now, I can prove this 100 times over using a variety of bible dictionaries, commentaries, and lexicons. I am not making this up, this isn't not accepting the words in the bible... this is simply "rightly dividing the word of truth."

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,805.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
TODAY... when we see the word "name" we think "what we call somebody." But 2000 years ago, in Judea, when they heard the word "name" they thought, "name bearers character, reputation, and authority."
It's about Jesus. That is who holds holds the authority. If we as Christians represent Him we have to use His name. The Apostles would say, " In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise and walk."Should we do less? No wonder the world is so sin sick. There is power in the name of Jesus.There is authority in the name. Demons tremble and fall at the name of Jesus. That is why He says ask in my name.

Upvote 0