• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

The Atheist Religion of Evolution

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by trubeliever89, Mar 15, 2008.

1. plindboe

plindboe Senior Member

+151
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    People can be willfully ignorant concerning certain questions in science, and brilliant researchers concerning other questions. One can be a brilliant mathematician for instance, and still be convinced that the Moon landings were faked. That is one reason why appeals to authority are a pretty poor way to argue a case, especially when the authorities in question are from irrelevant areas of expertise.

Peter :)

2. Nitron

Nitron HIKES CAN TAKE A WALK

+147
    Agnostic
    Single
    I know of at least two who don't believe what they find (Marcus Ross and Kurt Wise).

40% of American scientists believe in a personal God (mostly the Christian version). 0.5 believe in Creationism.

In fact, the number of scientists who believe in Creationism is roughly equivalent to the number of scientists named Steve.

Also, trolling is not a good way to start a serious discussion.

3. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Senior Veteran

+441
    Atheist
    Married
    The only mature response to Kent Hovind is uncontrollable laughter.

4. flatworm

flatworm Veteran

+148
    Atheist
    Private
    If you're offended, be offended at Kent Hovind, since it's apparently his quote. Kent Hovind and creationists of his ilk routinely deny established science in fields ranging from cosmology and physics to archeology and geology and bashes it all under the rubric of "evolution".

5. Fear

Fear Guest

+0
    What did you hope to accomplish here?

6. [serious]

[serious] 'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA Supporter

+1,651
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Err... your's is the one who's with the dirt origin. 6,000 years ago when you think we were a lump of mud, we think we were already wonderfully evolved.

7. FishFace

FishFace Senior Veteran

+165
    Atheist
    You took a wrong turning somewhere. The Genesis account goes:

"In the beginning, God, then dirt."

Science goes:

"In the beginning, (or at any rate, as far back as we can work out), squashed energy, then unsquashed energy, then hydrogen and helium, then clouds of gas, then stars, then supernovae, and more stars, then stars and planets, then dirt, then life."

But describing the "beginning" - or in the case of science, a long time ago - does not a religion make.

8. Vene

Vene In memory of ChordatesLegacy

+304
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I hate the use of the word "believe" when applied to a scientific theory. I believe in evolution as much as I believe in cells. Both are theories with a lot of evidence. Although, I tend to equate the word "believe" as meaning 'to accept something without the need for evidence.'

:clap:

9. Nitron

Nitron HIKES CAN TAKE A WALK

+147
    Agnostic
    Single
    I kinda hate using the term too (same with "evolutionist") but I'm just too semantically lazy.

10. FishFace

FishFace Senior Veteran

+165
    Atheist
    Belief only has to mean "accept as true." Sure, it has a few (not very strong) connotations of religious nature, but in general, if I say, "I believe you," or "I believe that Portugal lies next to Spain," then there are no such implications.

11. Braunwyn

Braunwyn Guest

+0
    lol excellent :D

12. Vene

Vene In memory of ChordatesLegacy

+304
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    This is true. I just don't like it because it has some religious implications and since there is a PRATT saying the evolution is a religion I want it to be as distant as possible from faith.

13. Edx

Edx Senior Veteran

+106
    Atheist
    "...said Hovind. "

14. huldah153

huldah153 Active Member

+12
    Genesis 2:7 could also be interpreted to mean that man was formed from the earth's bacteria, which is in accordance with evolution.

15. Maximum

Maximum Newbie

+2
    Agnostic
    Single
    CA-Liberals
    :doh:

16. trivista

trivista Regular Member

+26
    Christian
    Private
    You must have missed the portion of your Bible that directs you to not tell untruths. Perhaps you should reread those sections because I have been told God doesn't exactly care for those who lie.

17. Wiccan_Child

Wiccan_Child Contributor

+602
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    I would say they are ignorant of modern science. Or, that they are putting their religious beliefs ahead of their scientific principles when it comes to the origin of the universe, the Earth, life, etc.

18. Morcova

Morcova Well-Known Member

+484
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Libertarian

If creationists didn't lie for jesus they wouldn't have an argument against evolution.