• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

The Assurance of Salvation

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Humble_Disciple, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Humble_Disciple

Humble_Disciple Well-Known Member

+359
    United States
    Protestant
    Divorced
    I would like to apologize for not being previously clear as to what I meant about the assurance of salvation. My own view of assurance is perhaps closer to the Catholic teaching than the "easy-believism" promoted by many evangelicals today.

This is from the doctrinal statement of the Salvation Army, of which I used to be a member:

This would mean that our assurance of salvation is conditional upon continued, obedient faith, rather than the presumption that God will save us no matter how we live, even if we fall away from the faith.

I agree with Catholics that good works and avoidance of sin are necessary to confirm our salvation, but I wouldn't use the same list as to what those good works are, such as praying the rosary or performing Eucharistic adoration.

At the same time, I believe that good works and avoidance of sin are a gift of God's grace, imparted to us as sanctifying grace from Christ's finished work on the cross:
    Imparted righteousness - Wikipedia

This seems to more or less be the Catholic teaching as well:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. anna ~ grace

anna ~ grace Newbie Supporter

+10,927
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The more I have learned from Catholic Saints, and the more I have taken them as examples and heroes, the more awesome, subtle, holy, and amazing the gift of salvation seems to me.

It is an ongoing journey of faith, and works. Fueled by love.

3. Humble_Disciple

+359
    United States
    Protestant
    Divorced
    In Catholic teaching, what happens if one dies in a state of mortal sin without confessing it to a priest?

4. anna ~ grace

anna ~ grace Newbie Supporter

+10,927
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Oh My Jesus, hide me in the wound of Your Sacred Heart. Free me from my evil desire to be loved and esteemed. Guard me from the mean pursuit of fame and honour. Make me humble till I become a small spark in the flame of love in Your Sacred Heart. Grant me the grace to forget myself and all worldly things. Jesus, sweet beyond words, convert all worldly consolations into bitterness for me. O my Jesus, Sun of Justice, enlighten my intellect and mind with Your Sacred Rays. Purify my heart, consume me with burning love for You, and make me one with You. Amen.

Saint Alphonsa of India

5. Humble_Disciple

+359
    United States
    Protestant
    Divorced
    Other than the term "sacred heart," this reminds me of prayers that the Puritans wrote:
    Valley Of Vision — Free Online !!

If a Catholic is unable to have access to a priest while dying, would it be good enough to confess one's mortal sin directly to God, without the intercession of a priest?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  6. Fenwick

Fenwick ☩ Broman Catholic ☩

+9,916
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    Barring an act of perfect contrition, which is actually very hard to achieve, the Church teaches a two-fold understanding: A) if we die in a state of mortal sin, then we go to hell unless we manage to still make an act of perfect contrition at the moment of our death - though in reality this is very hard to achieve. B) It's ultimately up to God whether he receives a person into heaven or not. We just have what we know through the divine revelation given to the Church since the time of Christ.

I'll say this right now: I'm answering your question, but I'm not interested in debate, or some kind of "gotcha".

7. Humble_Disciple

+359
    United States
    Protestant
    Divorced
    I think you've provided a satisfying answer, even if I might disagree with the need of confession to a priest rather than directly to God.

8. Chesster

Chesster Junior Member

+100
    Catholic
    Married
    The Catechism answers this: When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called “perfect” (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible (1452).

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. zippy2006

zippy2006 Dragonsworn

+2,577
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    A better source than the Joint Declaration would be the Catechism. The Joint Declaration was never officially approved by the Catholic Church. See the section on justification and the following sections (#1987...) (link).

If you die in a state of mortal sin you go to Hell. If you are forgiven before you die--either through confession to a priest or an act of perfect contrition--then you would no longer be in a state of mortal sin, and hence would no longer die in a state of mortal sin.

This paper may be helpful for those who are interested in the question:

10. Humble_Disciple

+359
    United States
    Protestant
    Divorced
    The reason why I don't want to be a Catholic is because I don't want to be a cafeteria Catholic, picking and choosing which parts of the catechism I happen to agree with. I believe that would be disrespectful to Catholicism to practice a faith that I don't really believe in.

It has nothing to do with being anti-Catholic, which is why I am happy that, after Vatican II, we are not longer "heretics" but instead "separated brethren."

Separated brethren - Wikipedia