Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Mother

Mother

It was a deathwatch; the woman they all had loved so dearly, and who had loved everyone with no prejudice or inhibition was nearing the end of her time on this world. She lay on a pallet, her upper torso propped to ease her breathing. The normal glow of her face had been replaced with a gray pallor, and her pain stretched across the bones of her cheeks like a second skin.

She had no living family. Her husband had died many, many years before, and she had recently lost her only child to a brutal execution at the hands of the government. He had been a brilliant teacher, revered by many and hated by even more. His death had been a drain on her spirit. She had spent her life giving and giving and giving to others, and now her reserves were gone. The heart that had been bigger than life was exhausted.

Dawn was still hours away, and the friends who waited dozed with the fatigue of the waning night. Two strangers appeared at the door and entered silently. They gently roused the watchers and dismissed them to their own homes. "We're cousins of her late husband. We just heard about her illness, and we will care for her now. Go to your families, and know she is with ones who love her." Stupid with sleep, the friends asked no questions and crept into the night thinking of warm familiar beds.

The strangers stood as sentries on opposite sides of the door, and a Presence crossed the threshhold to crouch at the woman's side. He was a man garbed in white, and he lowered the hood of his cloak to reveal a countenance bathed in radiance. His eyes caressed the frail human body before him. Her callused feet bespoke of walks: to the well, to the merchant, to the temple, all the places of a normal life. She had walked the additional mile, too. To a sick neighbor's house, in the middle of the night; across the floor again and again, with a colicky baby so a young mother could rest; to search the countryside for a lost child; to a cemetery to help a friend bury a loved one. He picked up a patched, mended sandal next to the wall and rubbed his thumb over the depressions where her feet had molded the leather. She would never wear this shoe again. He saw her hands, and they appeared to belong to a stranger because they were motionless. These hands were forever moving: darning fabric, wringing out laundry, scrubbing, kneading bread, tending a garden. They also wiped away many a tear, rubbed the shoulder of a grieving spouse, cradled the infant of a terrified new mother, anointed medication to a sick body, and prepared the dead for the final journey. The skin was cracked, chapped and roughened from work. The nails were broken, stained, and uneven. They were the most beautiful hands he had ever beheld.

Kneeling closer, he cupped her face in his scarred palms, and kissed her forehead. Her eyes fluttered open, and she smiled with recognition. "Yessie." It was a toddler nickname used only by her. "Oh, Yessie, I was just dreaming about you."

"Eema. It's time to go, now. I'm taking you to Paradise." He rocked back on his heels, and grasped her hands in his.

"Oh, Yessie, I can't. I still have so much to do, people need me." How so like her! She was gasping for the breath to talk, and yet she wanted to get up and help others. "Besides, I don't think I want to go to Paradise. I need to keep busy, Yessie!"

This brought a smile to the man's face. "Oh, Eema!! Father and I know that! Let me tell you about Paradise!"

She settled back on her cushions and relaxed a bit, for the announcement that she was leaving had made her somewhat anxious. Yessie was a glorious storyteller, and she loved the sound of his voice. "Please, Yessie, I'd like to hear."

"Eema, no house will be too far. You will journey in the blink of an eye to those who need you. Your arms will stretch to hold everyone who desires your consolation, and your shoulders will be soft and comforting to any who cry their tears to you." He watched her mouth form a silent "Oh!" in response to his announcement. "You will have a lap that is made for children; toddlers will clamber up to sit with you, and babies will snuggle against your breast. Your eyes will see only the good in everyone."

She interrupted his dialogue. "My eyes do already, Yessie."

He bent over and kissed them. "You are right, Eema. You shall keep these very same eyes in Paradise." She smiled, and he continued, "This tired, earthly heart will be replaced with one big enough to hold all of humanity: all of the hopes, the fears, the dreams, the troubles, the aches, the disappointments, the burdens. Oh, Eema, your work has just begun! You are to be the Mother of mankind!"

She sighed then. "Take me to Paradise, then, Yessie. I have so much to do!"

She seemed incredibly tiny when he swept her up in his arms. She lay her head against his shoulder, and the final breath left her body. He carried her to the doorway, and the sentinels joined him as he walked into the dawning sun.

(copyright 1997, 2002 Victoria Odle Weaver
Please ask permission before copying)

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To all:

A little background on this Story: I, like so many converts, have had trouble understanding the place of Mary in our lives. While I had come to grips with most of the Catholic teachings on her, the Assumption was one that just kind of stuck. Then I got the idea for this Story... and if any of you have written at all, you'll understand when I say this Story just wrote itself. When I was finished, I understood at last.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟14,377.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks VOW. Beautiful.

"Hail Mary, full of Grace
The lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women
and blessed is the fuit of thy womd, Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners
now and the hour of our death. Amen"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Wolseley
Okay. Mankind needed a Savior.

How did the Savior come into the world? By what means was He introduced here?

He was introduced here through the will of God. Christ never once prayed to His earthly mother or made any connection with her to salvation at all. In fact He said that whoever believes in Him is His mother, His brother, His sister - He removed all earthly connection with that earthly family and made we who believe His family. Through Him we become sons of God.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He was introduced here through the will of God.
And that will caused Him to just materialize here one day, like He was beamed down from the Starship Enterprise. Mary had nothing to do with Him being introduced to the world, she only thought she was pregnant for nine months, and Gabriel came to see her that one evening because he was looking for somebody to play cribbage with, right?
Christ never once prayed to His earthly mother
Oh, really? Christ spoke to His mother on at least three occasions that I can think of off the top of my head. And what is the old English definition of the word "pray"?
He removed all earthly connection with that earthly family and made we who believe His family. Through Him we become sons of God.
I still keep contact with my sisters and my wife and children. Will I be going to hell, then????

Oy, gevalt, vey iz mir! Gleicher mit a haimishen ganev aider mit a fremden rov, nu?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Originally posted by aggie03
In fact He said that whoever believes in Him is His mother, His brother, His sister - He removed all earthly connection with that earthly family and made we who believe His family. Through Him we become sons of God.

Where, pray tell, did he remove all earthly connection from his mother?!?! :scratch:

The very essence of the trinity is a family union, why would Jesus wipe away family unions here on earth?!

See, this is that Protestant attitude of "It's just me and Jesus and we don't need nobody else."

We are all a family in the myistical body of Christ.

Upvote 0

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Aggie,

St. Paul is very clear about the Body of Christ. All believers, past and present, are members of the Body. When one part is honored, the rest rejoices. When one part suffers, the rest suffers. We all make prayers and supplications for each other and it doesn't stop with our departure from this earthly plane. Peter, Paul and Mary are all praying for us. How powerful those prayers must be coming from righteous people. Christ still mediates those prayers.

Behold Thy Mother
John 19:27

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand how the prayers of others can help you if the Bible says that you are to stand judgement before for the things that you have done alone. I just can't find that in Bible, and it doesn't make much sense to me. Do you happen to know the verses that belief comes from?

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm no Biblical scholar, but doesn't Christ say that, whatever we ask, it will be given to us?

If I ask God to lessen another's suffering, why would you think He wouldn't? I've seen this happen to living people, and I don't think death is any barrier to God.

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He does say that to the apostles, but as fas as I know He doesn't give a blanket statement to us that whatever we ask for will be granted. How many people do know who have had a sick family member, prayed for their recovery but death was the result anyway. Obviously whatever we ask is not necessarily granted.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.