Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
A simple Google search is all that is required to look up the Asbury University Revival...

I first heard about this after visiting a Southern Baptist church where the pastor said he was interested in looking into it. I was at a Bible study this morning and the study leader brings it up... Have you heard about the Asbury University Revival? Come to find out this is turning out as something that is generating a great deal of interest as even the secular news agencies are reporting in on it.

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟551,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Coming to an end?

This will be a good test. A logistical problem should not stop it if it is real.
I recall such resistance to the Jesus movement of my day. I am praying that by forcing it out, it explodes around the country.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Was the message of how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life preached there.

Yes, but there have been other Revivals that didn't focus on preaching like Asbury.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟277,974.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
This will be a good test. A logistical problem should not stop it if it is real.
I recall such resistance to the Jesus movement of my day. I am praying that by forcing it out, it explodes around the country.

It's not "resistance". Ashbury is an operating seminary, a campus of higher learning. At some point, life has to return to normal on the campus so the students can receive an education.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
It's not "resistance". Ashbury is an operating seminary, a campus of higher learning. At some point, life has to return to normal on the campus so the students can receive an education.
Wondering who the Ashbury guy was… ^_^

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I did a Bible study a month or so ago and commented a little on the life of Francis Asbury, who would have been pleased with the university that bore his name!

When Francis Asbury landed in Philadelphia in 1771 there were only 600 American Methodist. When he died there were 214,235, or 1 in 40 of the total population. "We must reach every section of America, especially the raw frontiers. We must not be afraid of men, devils, wild animals, or disease. Our motto must always be FORWARD!" -Francis Asbury. It is estimated that Francis Asbury traveled some 270,000 miles and preached 16,000 sermons during his tenure.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I did a Bible study a month or so ago and commented a little on the life of Francis Asbury, who would have been pleased with the university that bore his name!

When Francis Asbury landed in Philadelphia in 1771 there were only 600 American Methodist. When he died there were 214,235, or 1 in 40 of the total population. "We must reach every section of America, especially the raw frontiers. We must not be afraid of men, devils, wild animals, or disease. Our motto must always be FORWARD!" -Francis Asbury. It is estimated that Francis Asbury traveled some 270,000 miles and preached 16,000 sermons during his tenure.

The Wesleyan or Holiness movement had alot of different leaders, Ashbury was just one.

Ashbury was also friends with Philip Otterbein, who was his mentor in many ways. Philip Otterbein was from the Brethren movement, which was a German-speaking pietist movement during the Second Great Awakening, drawing from German-speaking Reformed and Mennonite Christians. The Brethren were actually the first church established completely within the United States, in the early 19th century.

Most of my family were Methodists, historically, but that's because they were descended from Brethren that merged with the Methodists in the 1950's. Alot of historic Methodist churches in the Midwest and Pennsylvania are actually formerly Brethren.

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes, but there have been other Revivals that didn't focus on preaching like Asbury.
And fizzled out. My concern with revivals generally is how little long term fruit there is. Unless there is fundamental teaching to establish believers in Christ, the emotion will evaporate and it will become a fond memory at best.

Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0