The Art of War

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
I guess you're talking about Sun Tzu's? Well I've read bits and parts of it.
What do I think of it?
He was a pretty smart, logical guy. He put a lot of emphasis on the importance of using spies and infiltrators to give yourself as great an advantage as possible before any actual fighting happens.
He also talks about the problems of maintaining a large army. He gives an example of having 100,000 men on a campaign, and says that for this 100,000 man army, you'll have 1 million citizens back home (their families) agonizing over the well being of their men and not being productive citizens. Thus the importance of keeping campaigns short.
Basically the book is full of sound wisdom on all matters of military topics.

Upvote 0

Kripost

Senior Veteran
Mar 23, 2004
✟2,681.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Compared to other chinese military writings, it is probably the most well known. One interesting thing is on the emphasis of winning with minimum loss, most preferrably through diplomacy. On a whole, it is it hardly mentions any specific military hardware of that time, and concentrates mainly on human factor, such as organization.

The original text in classical chinese is hard to read though, compared to modern chinese.

Upvote 0

Illandur

Dec 1, 2005
✟15,148.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-NDP
the most interesting contrast between it and european counterparts is the lack of chauvinistic ideologies. Sun Tzu's writings are completely based around practicality. There is no shame on kicking the man when he is down, exploiting his every weakness and, if the tables look turned, no shame in retreat. The lack of information on military technologies of the time were purposeful, which really makes the text transcend the temporal and cultural barriers. The work is universally applicable, something which few texts accomplish.

Upvote 0

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with Illandur. In single combat or non-military life, the whole being chivalrous thing is great, but in war, screw giving your enemy a fighting chance; crush them however you can, while sustaining as little loss as possible. I loved the book, and I also like how some of Sun Tzu's little bits of military wisdom could be applied to normal life. He was quite skilled as a writer, with his choice of words. Maybe not as much as he was in tactics, but it was a pretty darn good read.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I do wish that more of our leaders had read and heeded it. There is good advice in there about the psychology of warfare. Some of it may seem simple, from the armchair, but there is very little that is simple on a battlefield.

Upvote 0

bigreat

Nov 7, 2004
Shenzhen
✟7,718.00
Faith
Christian
Hi,
I'm from China, of course, I have read the chinese version of it,
I don't think you can call some of its contents tricks, because from the ancient times, there had already been an clear line which divided the thing done-by-good-man from done-by-not-good-man. So I'd like to call them maneuver .

Upvote 0