Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
In the past few weeks, as Michgan Gov. Whitney took her stay-at-home restrictions too far, protests came to the state capitol of Lansing.
It was supposed to send Whitmer a message she is taking her emergency powers too far. However, within the protest, there is a group of armed protesters, which having guns in and of themselves, take their protests way too far. The OathKeepers. They and sovereign citizens, who believe COVID-19 is a hoax (try telling that to grieving families who lost a grandfather, grandmother, parent or even a son, or daughter to this disease) remind me of Barrabas. Like Barrabas, who was a Zealous Jew, who wants to take back Jerusalem from Rome by force, some sovereign citizens, but not all (Timothy McVeigh was an agnostic and as oxymoron as it may sound, atheism, agnosticism, or humanism that takes either form and sovereign citizen ideology make a very compatible unruly mixture), are zealous for the Christian religion, even identifying America as a Christian nation.
Acts 3:14 and all 4 gospels tell that people would rather choose an insurrectionist over Jesus Christ, the Man of Hope to those who believe on Him and the Son of God. It would not be surprising to me if even liberals chose a so called sovereign citizen over Jesus because the natural man hates God.

Last edited:

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,178.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I don't agree that we should bring weapons to a protest and call it peaceful. If one needs to arm themselves mean they're expecting no such peaceful gathering.

Having said that I do have to say the protesters have a point. How much authority can we invest into one individual in the name of safety? How much can he/she dictate a society's rules? We expect people to follow the rules blindly because it seems to be the only mitigating factor for the pandemic now. We know very little of the virus now, but its outcomes are very clear high rate of infection and mortality. So it makes sense to lock up and minimize spread.

What people failed to consider is the time period for such draconian measure. 1 month, 2 months or half a year seems arbitrary based on the level of precaution of select individuals. Not everyone can sustain.

Do individuals have to follow the rules to the point of self destruct (physically or economically)? If individuals cannot sustain themselves, do we force them to follow the rule to the bitter end for the good of many? It's a slope of utilitarian morality that is hard to justify. This will mean placing our right to self preservation at the hands of another that might value the many over you.

There is no simple answer to the problem. As long as there are no vaccine and cure the possibility of it coming back is a matter of time not if. How long then should you invest dictatorial powers to resolve an issue that has no tangible end insight?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't agree what we should bring weapons to a protest and call it peaceful. If one needs to arm themselves mean they're expecting no such peaceful gathering.

As I understand it, Michigan is an "open carry" state. To the best of my knowledge, guns are permitted in the state Capitol (although that may change now).

The protesters seem to have a range of opinions, but one of them seems to be "if something is not against the law, then we are allowed to do it."

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, when organizers of any event publicize it so that a good turnout is going to be the result, and it's held on public property, there's no telling who will show up, let alone how they will behave. Even if rules have been stated.

And then when some of those appearing are 'out of the ordinary' types, that fact becomes 'red meat' for the people who want to malign the organizers and everyone else who attended.

"Confederate flags and swastika."

You know how that works. :doh:

• Agree
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the past few weeks, as Michgan Gov. Whitney took her stay-at-home restrictions too far, protests came to the state capitol of Lansing.
It was supposed to send Whitmer a message she is taking her emergency powers too far. However, within the protest, there is a group of armed protesters, which having guns in and of themselves, take their protests way too far. The OathKeepers. They and sovereign citizens, who believe COVID-19 is a hoax (try telling that to grieving families who lost a grandfather, grandmother, parent or even a son, or daughter to this disease) remind me of Barrabas. Like Barrabas, who was a Zealous Jew, who wants to take back Jerusalem from Rome by force, some sovereign citizens, but not all (Timothy McVeigh was an agnostic and as oxymoron as it may sound, atheism, agnosticism, or humanism that takes either form and sovereign citizen ideology make a very compatible unruly mixture), are zealous for the Christian religion, even identifying America as a Christian nation.
Acts 3:14 and all 4 gospels tell that people would rather choose an insurrectionist over Jesus Christ, the Man of Hope to those who believe on Him and the Son of God. It would not be surprising to me if even liberals chose a so called sovereign citizen over Jesus because the natural man hates God.
People protesting against social distancing and face masks are not reducing the infection rate.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
People protesting against social distancing and face masks are not reducing the infection rate.

One thing that needs to be kept clear and in mind about this is that there have been a number of protests at the same state capitol building.

The messages that those gathered intended to send were not the same from gathering to gathering, nor were the groups sending them.

• Informative
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One thing that needs to be kept clear and in mind about this is that there have been a number of protests at the same state capitol building.

The messages that those gathered intended to send were not the same from gathering to gathering, nor were the groups sending them.
I understand being out of work is a bummer and people do not need the virus or the shutdown. They need jobs. There is 14% unemployment and some are not getting benefits.

At the end of March, Austria required face masks in grocery stores. Other stores were closed at the time. The spread of the virus was reduced by 90%. If they required the same in America, people would complain about their rights being violated. Texas has seen steady increases in new infections after reopening; surpassing Florida in confirmed cases.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
At the end of March, Austria required face masks in grocery stores. Other stores were closed at the time. The spread of the virus was reduced by 90%. If they required the same in America, people would complain about their rights being violated.
I'm not so sure about that.

There are people who just won't cooperate or pay any attention, come what may; but the wearing of a mask in public and, OTOH, being under house arrest although no charges were ever brought against you are not exactly comparable.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not so sure about that.

There are people who just won't cooperate or pay any attention, come what may; but the wearing of a mask in public and, OTOH, being under house arrest although no charges were ever brought against you are not exactly comparable.
If you lived in Brazil, you would not have these problems. Not enough space in cemeteries in Sao Paolo.

If you lived in South Korea and did not fight government orders, you would have avoided the mass hospitalizations and remained open for business.

I should thank God I am not in an Indian slum without a job or food.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums