Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why did G-d instruct that the Ark and the Mercy seat (His throne) to be made of acacia wood? What gave this tree the perfect characteristics to become G-ds Holy throne on earth?

Exploring the Thompson Chain Reference topics I choose Acacia Wood.

There are seven occurrences

Acacia Wood
Copyright Statement
These files are in the public domain.

So I searched to see what I could find.

• There are more than a thousand different varieties of Acacia tree.
  • It is both highly durable and water-resistant
  • It is claimed that even untreated, it can last up to 40 years.
  • It isn’t scratched easily
  • It won’t warp readily
  • It is highly resistant to fungus.
  • Mainly because it is naturally antibacterial
  • Food Safe
  • When sanded properly it is very smooth
  • Acacia tortilis and Acacia iraqensis are found growing wild in the Sinai desert and the Jordan valley.
  • It is a dark wood

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Why did G-d instruct that the Ark and the Mercy seat (His throne) to be made of acacia wood? What gave this tree the perfect characteristics to become G-ds Holy throne on earth?

Acacia Wood

Copyright Statement

• It won’t warp readily
  • Food Safe
  • Acacia tortilis and Acacia iraqensis are found growing wild in the Sinai desert and the Jordan valley.
  • It is a dark wood
It is extremely durable and also has a natural waterproofing, why it is often used for bathroom fixtures. It also has good conductance to electromagnetic effects, hence the Ark was naturally constructed of it.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • It won’t warp readily
  • Food Safe
  • It is a dark wood
You would think the above characteristics of the wood wouldn't matter much since the entire ark was overlaid with gold inside and out. Perhaps the wood bonds well to gold or can be carved easily. Or perhaps there is a spiritual significance to Acacia wood.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
My notes for Exodus 25:5 says that Yacov foresaw in the spirit that the Israelites would need these to build the Mishkan in the desert so he brought them to Egypt and planted them. He commanded his sons to take them when they left Egypt. [Mid. Tachuma 9].

The ark was made of the same wood Genesis 6:14ff [R. Huna & R Yose] Noah planted them and was asked what they were for, and the people ridiculed his answer about building an ark.

Maybe just following the Maker's instructions? I'm not an expert on trees by a long way, but maybe it was not as heavy, but twice as resilient, compared to other woods available to them, bearing in mind that, as the Ark of the Covenant, it had to be carried at times?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I It also has good conductance to electromagnetic effects, hence the Ark was naturally constructed of it.

I'd like to hear more about this, this falls in line with my thinking on the reason it was chosen, or in reality, G-d created it for this purpose.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Joil 3:18
a fountain shall flow from the house of the Lord
the mountains shall drip with wine....and water the valley of acacias
seems also to be a symbol of believers who lasted through the wilderness of lifes struggles and make it into His eternal kingdom

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

Acacia Wood

Copyright Statement

• It won’t warp readily
  • Food Safe
  • It is a dark wood

Or it may have been the only wood available in the wilderness.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The number of tree species in Saudi Arabia is only 97

1. Acacia abyssinica
    Acacia abyssinica.jpg
  2. Acacia asak

3. Acacia etbaica

4. Acacia gerrardii

5. Acacia hamulosa

6. Acacia latea

7. Acacia mellifera

8. Acacia origena

9. Acacia raddiana

10. Acacia seyal
This is the most likely candidate, the Red acacia, known also as the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]tah tree (the source of [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]tim wood) is a thorny, 6–10 m (20–33 ft) high tree with a pale greenish or reddish bark. At the base of the 3–10 cm (1.2–3.9 in) feathery leaves there are two straight, light grey thorns, growing to 7–20 cm (2.8–7.9 in) long. The blossoms are displayed in round, bright yellow clusters approximately in 1.5 cm (0.59 in) diameter.

In Vachellia seyal var. fistula, which is more common on heavy clay soils, some of the thorns are swollen and house symbiotic ants.

It is distributed from Egypt to Kenya and west Senegal. In the Sahara, it often grows in damp valleys. It is also found at wadis in the Arabian Peninsula.

Property of this species

Gum arabic
Vachellia seyal is, along with other Vachellias, an important source for gum arabic, a natural polysaccharide, that exudes from damaged stems and solidifies.

Tanning
Parts of the tree have a tannin content of up to 18-20%. The bark and seed pods of Vachellia seyal var. seyal have a tannin content of about 20%.

Wood
Wood from the tree is said to have been used in Ancient Egypt to make coffins and also the Ark of the Covenant.

Medicinal uses
220px-Acacia_in_Ein_Khadra_Desert_Oasis_00_%2887%29.jpg

Acacia tree in Ein Khadra Desert Oasis, Nuweibaa, South Sinai, Egypt.

Bark
The bark is used to treat dysentery and bacterial infections of the skin, such as leprosy. The bark is also used as a stimulant.

Gum
The gum is used as an aphrodisiac, to treat diarrhea, as an emollient, to treat hemorrhaging, inflammation of the eye, intestinal ailments and rhinitis. The gum is used to ward off arthritis and bronchitis.

Wood
Incense from the wood is used to treat pain from rheumatism and to keep expectant mothers from contracting rhinitis and fevers.

Most of that is from Perdue U.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
You would think the above characteristics of the wood wouldn't matter much since the entire ark was overlaid with gold inside and out. Perhaps the wood bonds well to gold or can be carved easily. Or perhaps there is a spiritual significance to Acacia wood.

I think it would matter very much. In order to support the gold overlay the wood would have to be sturdy enough as well to preserve well for many many years.

Since HaShem was specific on the tree/wood and the articles for the Mishkan were to be patterned like those in heaven I'm sure it has great significance, both physically and spiritually. This is why I'm discussing the subject. :)

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Some more facts about the Acacia tree, specifically the one above producing 'gum Arabic'.

From Ion Conducting Materials: Theory and Applications
edited by A. R. Kulkarni, P. Gopalan

'Gum Arabica is a natural biopolymer that originates from the Acacia plant.
Preliminary testing has shown that natural gum occurring from some of the Acacia exhibit conducting polymer like electrical properties.

It was also found that it is a solid protonic conductor and has good thermal and electrical stability up to 80 degrees C.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wanted to find out about the frequencies of the acacia wood as I think this was a major factor in its choice of wood for the ark and it's poles for carrying and also the altar and the boards surrounding the Holy of Holies.

It took some searching but I found something interesting in relationship to guitar making.

From this website Wood Details: A-B

Acacia is heavier and more dense than Mahogany, and thus has it’s own unique tonal projection.

I am thinking that the combination of the acacia wood covered in gold as well as the Holy of Holies walls same thing, and the clothing that Aaron wore had something to do with his protection.

Remember Uzzah?

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Surely Uzzah died because he broke G_d's command that if anyone other than a Levite went near the Ark they had to be put to death. In his case, G_d saw what he did, and he paid the price - B'midbah (Numbers) 4:15

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it's more complicated than that.

The Levites were allowed to carry it, on the poles but it seems by the context that it wasn't properly covered.

The reason 'I believe' that it was only for the Levites to handle and only for Aaron once a year (or whomever the HP was) was because they were dressed for it.

There are many layers to what we read in the bible I am not looking on the Peshat level but more into the sod. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Surely Uzzah died because he broke G_d's command that if anyone other than a Levite went near the Ark they had to be put to death. In his case, G_d saw what he did, and he paid the price - B'midbah (Numbers) 4:15
I think this was a command for their protection, but the story reads that

7 And the anger of the L-RD burned against Uzzah, and God struck him down there for his irreverence; and he died there by the ark of God.
8 David bec
ame angry because of the L-RD'S outburst against Uzzah, and that place is called Perez-uzzah to this day.…

This is a commentary written by Samuel? I look at this as this is how Samuel say it, that he believed that Uzzah was being irreverent towards G-ds throne when all he was trying to do was to keep it from falling to the ground because the oxen carrying it stumbled. It wasn't supposed to be on a cart anyway, so that was in disregard to the law but Samuel doesn't mention that.

Samuel also interprets from his POV that David became angry (understandable) but he says that it was because of the 'L-RDs outburst.

I believe this was an electrical impulse that would have killed anyone, Levite or not if the proper coverings and poles were not employed and they weren't dressed in the manner HaShem told them to.

I really don't think G-d did anything, what happened was a reaction on the physical level between an unprotected human and a highly powered electrical object.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
My Tanach is quite clear that the reason for the problem was that one of the oxen stumbled (Sh'mu'el Bet) 2 Samuel 6:7. I see no reason to reject G_d's law on this issue, and search for something else. It shows, that Uzzah was struck down for his offence, an offence so serious that G_d's anger burned against him. The alternative view makes G_d to be vindictive, brutal, irrational and temperamental. The electrical pulse idea would, logically, have killed them either when they put the ark on the cart or when they took the ark off the cart, unless they knew how to ground the power! Of course if this is the real reason, why did it only happen here?

I think we need to be careful that we are not, in searching for G_d's reasoning, where scripture provides the reason, falling into the trap of eisegesis. :)

Anyway, best not derail the thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
My Tanach is quite clear that the reason for the problem was that one of the oxen stumbled (Sh'mu'el Bet) 2 Samuel 6:7.
So is mine, I included that in my post. However that was the breach of law as I stated, being on the cart in the first place.

I see no reason to reject G_d's law on this issue, and search for something else.
Which law is being rejected? as I said I see that as Samuel's view, it is not a speaking of the Holy Spirit or a 'Thus saith the L-RD'.

It shows, that Uzzah was struck down for his offence, an offence so serious that G_d's anger burned against him.
But that is again, Samuel's view point, he saw that was the law broken, but it wouldn't have happened if the law regarding the transport of the ark was being followed.

The alternative view makes G_d to be vindictive, brutal, irrational and temperamental.
Au contraire, mon frère, he gave the command not to touch it and only by those wearing certain clothing for their own protection as many of the laws are given out of love.

While it is not written that if you touch the ark you will be electrocuted the specifics of the clothing including the shanetz that Aaron wore and the poles, rather prove that there was more to it than just a tribal thing.

The electrical pulse idea would, logically, have killed them either when they put the ark on the cart or when they took the ark off the cart, unless they knew how to ground the power!
It shouldn't have been on the cart in the first place! That is the law broken here and it falls on David because he should have known better, as well as Samuel who was a priest as well as prophet.

So they in actuality were responsible for Uzzah's death.

Of course if this is the real reason, why did it only happen here?

I would guess that after that happened David was so distraught that he made sure it was handled properly afterwards, up until it disappeared.

I think we need to be careful that we are not, in searching for G_d's reasoning, where scripture provides the reason, falling into the trap of eisegesis. :)
I have no dog in this fight :) I of late have been appreciating all the layers of the creation. Sure when you read the bible only seeing creation on the surface, the way we grew up seeing it then it seems far fetched. Add to that what we've been taught in schooling at a young age and your mind is already predisposed to read it a certain way. But there is a lot more than 'meets the eye' and that is why commentarys go on to this day as there is always more to discover at the sod level.

In fact I did a quick search and found that our sages have something to say on this which actually agrees with what I posted before.

Rabbi Nathan seems to agree.......................

“David became distressed (vayihar l’David) because God had inflicted a breach against Uzzah.” (6:8)

What, in particular, caused David’s anxiety? Certain sages took a clue from the expression “vayehar l’David” which seems to have indicated to them that David assumed that this tragic event was caused by something that he had done: “Rabbi Nathan said: David had forgotten that the Ark was to have been carried on the shoulders of Levites and not in a wagon, as it says: ‘They loaded the Ark of God onto a new cart’ (6:3); ‘And God became angry at Uzzah and God struck him down for his indiscretion and he died there beside the Ark of God’ (6:7); ‘And David became distressed because God had inflicted a breach against Uzzah’ (6:8). Ahitophel said to David: Shouldn’t you have learned from Moses, your teacher, that the Levites carried the Ark on their shoulders and not in a wagon? (adapted from Sifrei Bemidbar Piska 46, Kahana ed. pp. 132-3)

I see this as David was the one who wanted all this pomp and circumstance to glorify the L-RD when in reality he acted as a heathen. Remember the Philistines stole the ark and after G-ds punishment of cancer on them all they sent it back.......................on a cart.

David was repeating this same 'sacrilege' to the throne of HaShem.

I see this akin to Davids baby dying for what he did to Bet sheva's husband.

Anyway, best not derail the thread.

No derail, we're talking about the ark and that example to support my theory regarding Uzzah was pertinent. :)

Upvote 0

pinacled

walking with the Shekinah
Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Acacia Wood

Copyright Statement

• It won’t warp readily
  • Food Safe
  • It is a dark wood

I was of the opinion that The levitical instructions are something like shade.

The generosity of,
A forethought.
"For out of the heart."

Ethiopian Acatia.
Very intriguing subject Lulav, Thankyou.

I especially like the harmonic resonance perspective. A staff that buds in good soil.
Original Word: אָרוֹן
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: aron
Phonetic Spelling: (aw-rone')
Short Definition: ark

Also a cubit
"If thine hand offend thee."

Upvote 0