The Apostle Paul, Romans 13 and inerrancy?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟249,401.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
In Romans 13 the apostle Paul writes of the extreme respect we all should have for the government. Paul himself often in prison. And just years later the government headed by Nero, puts Paul to death. And since then other criminally insane men have come to power like Stalin, Hitler, Amin, and bad characters like Mao and Un. Surely we can't take Paul literally? It looks to me like an error on Paul's part, a short sightedness, noble but not foresightful. Also other ancient and medieval men and women were too cold in power.

I am compelled by the great crowd of Christians who write vision statements and about us statements that insist on the inerrancy of scriptures, infallible words of God and because all scripture is God breathed, to think it is surely inerrant. But this goes against my own judgement.

What about other Christians? What do you say?

Last edited:

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In Romans 13 the apostle Paul writes of the extreme respect we all should have for the government. Paul himself often in prison. And just years later the government headed by Nero, puts Paul to death. And since then other criminally insane men have come to power like Stalin, Hitler, Amin, and bad characters like Mao and Un. Surely we can't take Paul literally? It looks to me like an error on Paul's part, a short sightedness, noble but not foresightful. Also other ancient and medieval men and women were too cold in power.

I am compelled by the great crowd of Christians who write vision statements and about us statements that insist on the inerrancy of scriptures, infallible words of God and because all scripture is God breathed, to think it is surely inerrant. But this goes against my own judgement.

I am saying that Paul was right. Have you thought of the alternative? It's called anarchy.

Paul respected the Roman government even though he was imprisoned. That's what I call a sincere Christian.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟249,401.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Bonhoeffer in Nazi Germany was not an anarchist. Or was he? That is an opposite extreme. Wilberforce ending slavery in England was class action. Rome had no democratic choice. When we do, we honour someone we find most worth it. If honouring Mr Un today means turning in Christians to be made atheists under strict order will you do it?

Upvote 0

Behold

Apr 5, 2020
Netanya
✟13,908.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bonhoeffer in Nazi Germany was not an anarchist. Or was he? That is an opposite extreme. Wilberforce ending slavery in England was class action. Rome had no democratic choice. When we do, we honour someone we find most worth it. If honouring Mr Un today means turning in Christians to be made atheists under strict order will you do it?

It would be impossible to "turn a born again Christian into an atheist".
You could pull their arms off and pop their eyeballs out with a spoon and have them saying that black is white and up is down, but you have not accomplished "turning them into Atheists".
You've only accomplished torturing a human being past their ability to stand it.

There is a certain reality regarding being a Christian, that can't be changed by being a bad Christian, or by being an evil one, or one that decided later they don't want to be one at all.

The Aspect you can't change ?

A.) BEING BORN

"BORN" Again.

You can't change this with you mind, words, behavior, or desire.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟193,956.00
Faith
Christian

I would say that you merely failed to interpret what Paul wrote in the sense in which he intended. Likewise you could have said the same of Jesus who at times spoke in generalizations, which if interpreted as absolutes rather than generalizations you could have said the same of him.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟249,401.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
It would be impossible to "turn a born again Christian into an atheist".
You could pull their arms off and pop their eyeballs out with a spoon and have them saying that black is white and up is down, but you have not accomplished "turning them into Atheists".
You've only accomplished torturing a human being past their ability to stand it.

There is a certain reality regarding being a Christian, that can't be changed by being a bad Christian, or by being an evil one, or one that decided later they don't want to be one at all.

The Aspect you can't change ?

A.) BEING BORN

"BORN" Again.

You can't change this with you mind, words, behavior, or desire.
Mr Un forces atheism on people caught with faith, over three generations.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟249,401.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I would say that you merely failed to interpret what Paul wrote in the sense in which he intended. Likewise you could have said the same of Jesus who at times spoke in generalizations, which if interpreted as absolutes rather than generalizations you could have said the same of him.
I can appreciate the idea that Paul was not giving absolutes. I find it unclear. Bonhoeffer had amazing insight.

Upvote 0

Behold

Apr 5, 2020
Netanya
✟13,908.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mr Un forces atheism on people caught with faith, over three generations.

They are not atheists.
They are people who are trying to survive.
A believer is born again. You can't stop being born again by what you say or what you do.
Birth is permanent.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟249,401.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
They are not atheists.
They are people who are trying to survive.
A believer is born again. You can't stop being born again by what you say or what you do.
Birth is permanent.
They make sure the faith is not passed on.
Point being honouring Mr Un and his administration doesn't honour God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums