• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

The Apostle Paul Dismissing the Cult

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by rockytopva, Sep 29, 2020.

1. rockytopva

rockytopva Love to pray! :) Supporter

+6,746
    Pentecostal
    Single
    I would classify a cult as following a man. Even men such as John Calvin, the Pope, or some other popular name. The Apostle Paul also dealt with this in his time....

12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
    13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
    14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
    15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. - 1 Corinthians 1:12-15

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Aspzan

Aspzan Well-Known Member Supporter

+969
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    1 Corinthians 11:1 KJV
    (1) Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

More words from Paul to consider.

3. rockytopva

rockytopva Love to pray! :) Supporter

+6,746
    Pentecostal
    Single
    For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. - 1 Corinthians 1:17

Commendable to the Apostle Paul there was not a following that cascaded down in his name.

4. RickReads

RickReads Well-Known Member

+186
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Indeed they are, but don`t you think you should explain the difference between the two verses?
    You put the verse up and made it look like a contradiction in scriptures by not saying anything about the passage.

5. Aspzan

+969
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    I thought the intention behind posting that verse was obvious?

The thread is about how following a man = a cult but Paul clearly said "Be ye followers of me". I think I used the same translation as in the first post too.

It's not a contradiction of scriptures but it does go against the assertions of the thread.

6. RickReads

+186
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Obvious to some, not so much to others. You still haven`t explained the verse though. It`s a different issue then the one started by the thread so no it doesn`t go against the assertions of the thread.

When Paul said "Be ye followers of me" he was telling the church to live Christianity like he did. The verse posted in the thread is dealing with following a man = a cult.

Your verse is about Paul as the example of living Christianity. Maybe post a little more of the passage?

15 For though ye have ten thousand instructers in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.

17 For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.

7. Aspzan

+969
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    I don't think it's a different issue.

8. RickReads

+186
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Well, I wait to read what you think 1 Corinthian 4 means. I don`t think Paul told them to baptize in his name.

9. Aspzan

+969
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    I don't think that either. There's no point continuing.

10. RickReads

+186
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Kind of hard to believe it`s the same issue if he didn`t have them baptize in the name of Paul.

11. Scott Husted

Scott Husted Well-Known Member

+350
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Jesus and John both had the same testimony of where truth should be perceived as flowing out of.