✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Humanism and the Churches

This article was written in the 1970s. This link only shows a preview. The reason I showcase it here is to have Christians consider how much churches focus on people versus God in their theology and in their everyday motivations. This is the Laodicean church (Rev 3), my friends.

Psychology has overtaken some pulpits. Humanistic acts of service pass for Christian ministry in some churches. Today church programs are so people-centered it makes you squint to find God. Sure they use the name Jesus and quote verses of Scripture, but the church today is often labeled as a social club. This label isn’t surprising because humanism elevates people above God. We are looking less dependent on Christ and more like a self-sufficient prosperous party crowd covered in a thin veil of wanna-be piety.

I went looking for a non humanistic type church online yesterday. I’ve personally tried nondenominationals before. Not lots of luck there but some. Anyway, I came across a small town evangelical church (A First Baptist church in rural Texas) website assuming it would be my best chance of finding a not-so-people centered congregation. Nope. The very first two words to greet me on their website were “People First.” I froze. That’s when I knew humanism rules in the hearts and minds of the church today. It is more than trending.

One of my fave online evangelical pastors in the Bible Belt released a sermon recently that made me wonder how humanistic evangelicals are. He came up with a series of points about how faith grows. I had to shut him off at point three of five. His points centered on people not God. People did not grow my faith. Reading a Bible on a dirty trailer house floor every morning before school did. Stepping out to try and obey he Holy Spirit little by little grew my faith. People were more likely to throw me off balance or off the straight and narrow path.

Maybe I’m odd by not having many people help me on my faith journey? It has largely been a humbling dependency on the Lord that has got me through life not people at all. I’m the shy type who battles self-absorption over following the crowd. So maybe that pastor is more prone to crowd-followers? Whatever the case people should never depend on people and minimize God in life. People are not where it is at...nope.

People cannot give you the Holy Spirit. People cannot save you. People cannot make you right with God. People cannot convict you or motivate you on the same level. People cannot make you happy. People cannot make you righteous. People can only convince you for a time. People cannot give you living water or the bread of life. They can make you feel good for a time but the church needs eternal substance not fleeting feel-goods and stubborn independence from God.

In love,
HappyHope

**Edited to note some luck with a nondenominal church

Last edited:

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟322,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

This article was written in the 1970s. This link only shows a preview. The reason I showcase it here is to have Christians consider how much churches focus on people versus God in their theology and in their everyday motivations. This is the Laodicean church (Rev 3), my friends.

Psychology has overtaken some pulpits. Humanistic acts of service pass for Christian ministry in some churches. Today church programs are so people-centered it makes you squint to find God. Sure they use the name Jesus and quote verses of Scripture, but the church today is often labeled as a social club. This label isn’t surprising because humanism elevates people above God. We are looking less dependent on Christ and more like a self-sufficient prosperous party crowd covered in a thin veil of wanna-be piety.

I went looking for a non humanistic type church online yesterday. I’ve personally tried nondenominationals before. No luck there. Anyway, I came across a small town evangelical church (A First Baptist church in rural Texas) website assuming it would be my best chance of finding a not-so-people centered congregation. Nope. The very first two words to greet me on their website were “People First.” I froze. That’s when I knew humanism rules in the hearts and minds of the church today. It is more than trending.

One of my fave online evangelical pastors in the Bible Belt released a sermon recently that made me wonder how humanistic evangelicals are. He came up with a series of points about how faith growths. I had to shut him off at point three of five. His points centered on people not God. People did not grow my faith. Reading a Bible on a dirty trailer house floor every morning before school did. Stepping out to try and obey he Holy Spirit little by little grew my faith. People were more likely to throw me off balance or off the straight and narrow path.

Maybe I’m odd by not having many people help me on my faith journey? It has largely been a humbling dependency on the Lord that has got me through life not people at all. I’m the shy type who battles self-absorption over following the crowd. So maybe that pastor is more prone to crowd-followers? Whatever the case people should never depend on people and minimize God in life. People are not where it is at...nope.

People cannot give you the Holy Spirit. People cannot save you. People cannot make you right with God. People cannot convict you or motivate you on the same level. People cannot make you happy. People cannot make you righteous. People can only convince you for a time. People cannot give you living water or the bread of life. They can make you feel good for a time but the church needs eternal substance not fleeting feel-goods and stubborn independence from God.

In love,
HappyHope
God, for His reasons, nonetheless uses people to bring others to Himself. The gospel existed and was spread before a word of the New Testament was written. People later assembled the canon of that Bible. The faith exists now because it was carried down through the centuries by people. And you’re right, people cannot save us, they cannot give God to us, they can only witness to, point to, introduce us to Him.

But, yes, humanism on its own is necessarily missing something, placing full emphasis on what we can do. And man is the problem, so to speak, not the answer. The sentiments behind it may be good, hopefully motivated, at least, by love of neighbor, but, unless combined with the greatest good, love of God, it will fail.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

I went looking for a non humanistic type church online yesterday. I’ve personally tried nondenominationals before. No luck there. Anyway, I came across a small town evangelical church (A First Baptist church in rural Texas) website assuming it would be my best chance of finding a not-so-people centered congregation. Nope. The very first two words to greet me on their website were “People First.” I froze. That’s when I knew humanism rules in the hearts and minds of the church today. It is more than trending.

One of my fave online evangelical pastors in the Bible Belt released a sermon recently that made me wonder how humanistic evangelicals are. He came up with a series of points about how faith growths. I had to shut him off at point three of five. His points centered on people not God. People did not grow my faith. Reading a Bible on a dirty trailer house floor every morning before school did. Stepping out to try and obey he Holy Spirit little by little grew my faith. People were more likely to throw me off balance or off the straight and narrow path.

In love,
HappyHope

Try free grace.
Grace Evangelical Society

Reactions: HappyHope
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello, HappyHope! We sympathize with your feelings and your hopes, but I can assure you that the kind of church you are seeking does exist.

The search may take some "doing," but it can be successful. However, if I were to name a few possibilities and laud them, that could look like the same thing that happens whenever someone like yourself asks such a wide-open question. Various readers immediately suggest the church that they themselves have chosen and believe in (for whatever reason).

That said, you didn't offer many specifics except that you are concerned about the recent drift toward Humanism. You must, however, have already been convinced of certain Christian doctrines that some churches are known for and others disavow. If you were to identify them, it might help narrow the search, as many denominations are today split between the more humanistic branches and the more traditional ones.

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God, for His reasons, nonetheless uses people to bring others to Himself. The gospel existed and was spread before a word of the New Testament was written. People later assembled the canon of that Bible. The faith exists now because it was carried down through the centuries by people. And you’re right, people cannot save us, they cannot give God to us, they can only witness to, point to, introduce us to Him.

But, yes, humanism on its own is necessarily missing something, placing full emphasis on what we can do. And man is the problem, so to speak, not the answer. The sentiments behind it may be good, hopefully motivated, at least, by love of neighbor, but, unless combined with the greatest good, love of God, it will fail.
I’m with you on the need for people. No doubt. My most loved moments were felt in a Christian small group but feeling loved did not build my faith. That was between me and the Creator of every cell in my body and the essence of my soul. People cannot build or sustain your faith. People can love and be loved but spiritual formation is something else IMO. People are neither the standard or measure to follow. Following Christ and not people is the message I’m aiming for. And not just knowing Christ but following Christ whatever the cost.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

In love,
HappyHope
Hi there are a lot of people out there that can't find a Christ centered church that teaches the Bible and challenges you regarding sin, holiness and condemns modern culture and warns of the coming judgment and an eternal destiny. there is a guy in Hawaii JD Farag who does a weekly prophecy update that ends with a solid gospel message every week you can find him at JDFarag.org. He was banned from social media for speaking out against the culture and NWO. He has a small church id say about 100 people and has thousands of on line members. His prophecy updates get up to 100k views each week.

On a side note my church stood in the face of the shutdowns and remained open no masks no distancing and have been fined over 2 million by the state of CA. In this time our church has grown by about %500 and many are new believers or those who have come out of churches that did not teach the Bible. This is a Calvary chapel and Chuck Smith used to teach that healthy sheep would reproduce. By contrast Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa followed every guideline of the state and has had to lay off over 100 staff members. We have been in contact with many other churches who stood for their rights and in none of these churches were their any super spreader events. The lockdowns were a scam and the statistics show that to be true or these churches who stayed open would be traced as the source of the major outbreaks of the virus. This is actually proof that the crisis is managed and has a long way still to play out.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yep, you are seeking a doctrinally sound and focused church. So, despite my earlier comment about responses that simply say "Try my church. It's great" I'd add that most of the leading, best known, denominations have recently split or been reorganized into two (or three, etc) branches.

That would include the Lutherans and Presbyterians and some others. Usually, the newer (and smaller) branches, the split-offs, are more like what you want and the bigger ones they left are more oriented towards what you are hoping to avoid.

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, HappyHope! We sympathize with your feelings and your hopes, but I can assure you that the kind of church you are seeking does exist.

The search may take some "doing," but it can be successful. However, if I were to name a few possibilities and laud them, that could look like the same thing that happens whenever someone like yourself asks such a wide-open question. Various readers immediately suggest the church that they themselves have chosen and believe in (for whatever reason).

That said, you didn't offer many specifics except that you are concerned about the recent drift toward Humanism. You must, however, have already been convinced of certain Christian doctrines that some churches are known for and others disavow. If you were to identify them, it might help narrow the search, as many denominations are today split between the more humanistic branches and the more traditional ones.
I grew up in church. Now I’m about middle age and have moved around a bit. I’ve attended some lovely churches. It is only in the last 10-12 years my hubby and I have struggled with churches. It’s getting worse. We were once open to a variety of God-fearing, Jesus-loving type of biblical assemblies. We are not diehard stuck on a denomination but sound doctrine is a must. That said, some churches have the right worded doctrines but painful practices. Not sure what to do except pray and draw attention to our growing concerns.

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wish I had practical wisdom to address the people-centered focus of many modern churches. I have some theories but nothing concrete.

Maybe love and belonging are being substituted for authentic faith today? Love and faith are not the same.

I say this because a church I once attended recently—ish changed their motto to “You Belong.” From my experience there, I’m tempted to respond, “But does Christ belong?”

People are important but they are not #1.

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟116,843.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private

In love,
HappyHope
It’s like all this self self self stuff too. Self esteem, self love. I looked up the word ‘self’ in the N/T. The only time it’s mentioned is on the subjects of self control, and self denial. The other is empowering women in the church. We can probably thank j meyer for that :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...and also 'read up' on the different churches and visit the most promising of them. There is almost no way to avoid such a painstaking inquiry, but at the same time, it's certainly not a useless endeavor because many people have found what they were seeking in this way.

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s like all this self self self stuff too. Self esteem, self love. I looked up the word ‘self’ in the N/T. The only time it’s mentioned is on the subjects of self control, and self denial. The other is empowering women in the church. We can probably thank j meyer for that :(
Human-centered ministries sell don't they? I actually like J. Meyer. I think she is well-loved by God. She ain’t perfect and may be off in ways at times but I know God has given her a ministry that ministers to many. I was abused as a kid. I think she speaks to those at the bottom of a muddy pit desperately striving to emotionally crawl out of uber dark yuckiness most will never ever have a clue about.

I can only tolerate so much of many ministers today though. Her included. I’m just not there anymore if that makes sense? I’m glad if they minister to people in Jesus name because helping people is excellent but people are not to be the ultimate focus or priority for sure. God first then people and people are not to be in a close second place.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I can only tolerate so much of many ministers today though. Her included. I’m just not there anymore if that makes sense? I’m glad if they minister to people in Jesus name because helping people is excellent but people are not to be the ultimate focus or priority for sure. God first then people and people are not to be in a close second place.
Not to disagree with you at all, but in fairness to Joyce Meyer, she is known for her conferences, lectures, and so on. She is not pastoring a congregation.

So while your feelings are correct, she isn't really the problem which you've identified and are talking about with us.

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With my new anti-humanistic filter, I’m mentally screening popular Christian music today. In comparison to old school hymns of the 19th century, today’s song do focus more on people while the old hymns focus more on God. Perhaps this is an example of Philadelphia church theology and Laodicean church theology. So, I had my kids listen to some theology-rich hymns and hymn mixes this morning after a few modern worship songs. I feel like I’m beginning to see more clearly. Lord help us see clearly. :pray::amen:

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not to disagree with you at all, but in fairness to Joyce Meyer, she is known for her conferences, lectures, and so on. She is not pastoring a congregation.

So while your feelings are correct, she isn't really the problem which you've identified and are talking about with us.
I like her. Truly. I do not consider her a pastor. In my mind she does have a ministry used by God. Some of the theology in her books I won’t touch but I think she is a faithful servant of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I like her. Truly.
Me, too. The comment was just to the effect that you have identified problems within the churches, with the sermons, and so on, but Joyce Meyer is operating in a different realm, so she's not (to my mind) part of the problem you are hoping to solve.

Some of the theology in her books I won’t touch but I think she is a faithful servant of God.
I agree. Her theology is different from mine, but when we are listening to one of her lectures, it would be hard o identify which church or branch of Christianity she's associated with, isn't that so?

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Me, too. The comment was just to the effect that you have identified problems within the churches, with the sermons, and so on, but Joyce Meyer is operating in a different realm, so she's not (to my mind) part of the problem you are hoping to solve.

I agree. Her theology is different from mine, but when we are listening to one of her lectures, it would be hard o identify which church or branch of Christianity she's associated with, isn't that so?
I agree. She is about communicating sound teachings on TV as best she can. I believe she will be well rewarded in heaven.

I loathe to point fingers at whole ministries, denominations or individual churches and individual people as Laodicean. Movements can be identified. Trends can be analyzed. Pitiful practices can be called out. I’m more about pointing towards the characteristics of the problem to help people discern possible Laodicean tendencies so they can course correct. I’m not calling people out here. I’m expressing a personal concern for a movement.

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand Laodicea means "we the people" or similar. So it makes sense that even our modern political systems like our Constitutional Republic have helped contribute to a belief that "the people rule" when in fact God has always ruled and always will. People are not as powerful as all that. We are quite dependent on the Lord and always have been.

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟116,843.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Human-centered ministries sell don't they? I actually like J. Meyer. I think she is well-loved by God. She ain’t perfect and may be off in ways at times but I know God has given her a ministry that ministers to many. I was abused as a kid. I think she speaks to those at the bottom of a muddy pit desperately striving to emotionally crawl out of uber dark yuckiness most will never ever have a clue about.

Sorry about your childhood :(

Upvote 0