• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

The apologia of the cosmos. Evidence of God

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Elioenai26, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Eight Foot Manchild

Eight Foot Manchild His Supreme Holy Correctfulness

+1,315
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    The part in bold is the part you need to substantiate before you even begin to claim knowledge of anything. All you have is a naked assertion. Your lack of an epistemological framework on which to predicate your claims leaves you flat on your face from the get go.

As such, you are miles from anything remotely resembling knowledge. This barely even qualifies as belief.

2. Danyc

Danyc Senior Member

+94
    Humanist
    Single
    Yeah, I do harbor hate. Hate for those who, on faith, decide to attempt to restrict the rights of their fellow homo sapiens. I have hate for the willfully ignorant who use their ignorance to spread falsehoods and try their very hardest to rip down all of the progress humans have made so far on this planet.

Obviously.

No, I do not agree with you because you have no evidence. You are absolutely no better than any other snake oil salesman. An astrologist that gets a free pass from society. You've been abducted by a UFO with nothing to show for it.

I should have put loving in quotations.

Secular charities - Think Atheist

Atheists Helping the Homeless.

Doctors Without Borders.

UNICEF.

Amnesty International.

Oxfam International.

And none of them demand obedience to an unevidenced, invisible sky daddy. They don't perpetuate ignorance of science, especially medical science.

Get over yourself.

They haven't been taught that God is dead. They have been taught that God is Kim Jong Il. That God is Stalin. The problem remains. I don't care if it's Stalin, Hitler, Kim or 'God'. They are all dictators. They all are presumed to have absolute power. And they all prey on the gullibility and subservience of others. The only difference is that Stalin actually existed.

The problem is not religion. The problem is not God. The problem is blind faith, ignorance, and gullibility. These things simply lead to religion.

And what would that prove?

What I want to experience is love that is not based on the conditions that I be straight and Christian. Certainly the behavior of 'bad' Christians is not a very good argument against the existence of their deity. However, it is disgusting and inhuman. And I will show my anger towards those who attempt to impede our progress as a species and who attempt to degrade their fellow homo sapiens as if they have some sort of moral superiority over them.

3. Danyc

Danyc Senior Member

+94
    Humanist
    Single
    No, it totally matters what you think. You, and other Christians, are the only ones who can speak on what God thinks. You are the sole vessels of communication. God does not come down from heaven and speak to us. All we have is letters on a page. And a few people who claim to know exactly what they mean because 'the holy spirit' has shown them.

The problem is, apparently, 'the holy spirit' likes to show different things to different people. So, what's up.

We all know. There is no holy spirit. Duh.

4. Davian

Davian fallible

+1,159
    Ignostic
    Married
    On your next break from preaching, I have asked you a question, here.

5. Elioenai26

Elioenai26 Guest

+0
    A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. - C.S. Lewis

6. Eight Foot Manchild

+1,315
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    You seem to think the remedy for a naked assertion is to pile another naked assertion on top of it. This belies the fact that you can't substantiate a single thing you've claimed.

7. Danyc

Danyc Senior Member

+94
    Humanist
    Single
    Your lack of any meager defense for your religion is duly noted.

Good job.

8. Elioenai26

Elioenai26 Guest

+0
    I do not need to defend Christianity to either of you two gentlemen.

The reason is because at the very least, the two of you know God exists. I do not have to prove it to you if you already know it.

In fact, there is actually nothing I can say to you at all. Considering the fact that you have rejected the light of illumination already given to you, why be pretentious and pretend you are seeking the truth?

You would be better off to just admit that you abhor the idea that there is someone besides yourself that should be worshipped.

9. Gadarene

Gadarene -______-

+2,447
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    UK-Labour
    Wow, is Eliarnai still peddling the same tired schtick about how we're al theists in denial deep down? ^_^

10. Elioenai26

Elioenai26 Guest

+0
    No, I would not say denial. I would just say that no one can actually live as if they were an atheist. We all affirm that there is a God in our lives. The only thing is that there is some disagreement on who this "God" is.

11. Gadarene

Gadarene -______-

+2,447
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    UK-Labour
    No, we don't affirm that there is a God in our lives.

Ergo, your conclusion is incorrect.

12. quatona

quatona "God"? What do you mean??

+4,189
    Seeker
    And just for getting even in terms of baseless assertions I would say that no one can actually live as if they were a theist.
    Well, no. I don´t affirm that there is a God in my life.
    So whom do I affirm to be the God in my life? And if you can´t find any quote of mine affirming someone to be the God in my life, how come you declare someone to be the God in my life, and then voice disagreement that the entity you have just declared to be God isn´t God?

13. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist I believe in life before death!

+2,598
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    What is that supposed to mean? I affirm no such thing.

eudaimonia,

Mark

14. Archaeopteryx

Archaeopteryx Wanderer

+2,536
    Atheist
    Private
    Now you've returned to presumptuousness.

And yet people do actually live as if they were atheists, because they actually are atheists.

"Some disagreement"? Can that qualify as the under-statement of the year? There are countless conceptions of God, both within and between religions. What makes your conception reliable?

15. Eight Foot Manchild

+1,315
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Again, when you pile a naked assertion on top of another naked assertion, they don't magically cancel each other out.

I've only been involved in this thread a short while, but you've already got at least three naked assertions to your credit, all of which need substantiating. To recap, they are as follows,

This list is only going to get bigger, unless you buckle down and get to work.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  16. Danyc

Danyc Senior Member

+94
    Humanist
    Single
    Aaaaannddd I'm not surprised in the least.

17. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves.

+349
    Atheist
    Private
    I think it might mean that the distinction between 'believers' and 'non-believers' are superficial at best.

18. Elioenai26

Elioenai26 Guest

+0
    It simply means that one reverences or worships either themself or Jesus Christ.

If themselves, then they worship themselves as god, if they worship and reverence Jesus Christ as the Messiah, then they worship God.

I myself oftentimes find the temptation to revert to self-gratification and self-glorification and self-worship to be so great that I capitulate and set myself up as god of my own life. When I do, I am convicted and shown the need for true and heartfelt repentance, which is the only way that "self" can be abdicated so that Christ may rein in His rightful place.

As Christians, we must die daily, so that Christ may live in us and through us. We either serve ourselves, or God. Either way, we are slaves. Slaves to righteousness through faith in Christ, or slaves to unrightesousness and sin.

At the very least, it can be said that everyone with a certain degree of pride, believes in themselves, some more, some less.

19. Danyc

Danyc Senior Member

+94
    Humanist
    Single
    You present an ugly, disgusting false dichotomy that paints the human race as inherently worthless and deserving of death. I'm not surprised- it's what your religion has taught you. That people are bad. This is not always the case.

There are many people who live entirely selflessly- they do not worship themselves by any degree. If anything, they debase themselves, putting others needs above their own at all times. They don't worship themselves in ANY sense, not even by your silly definitions, and they don't worship God either.

Free yourself from these chains dude. You've shackled yourself up in this view of reality that is entirely of your own creation.

20. Gadarene

Gadarene -______-

+2,447
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    UK-Labour
    Except....we don't worship either.

So, false dichotomy.

Just because you screw up that way doesn't mean you need to project it onto everyone else.