Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
A lot of people think that vaccines don't protect against disease, or that vaccines cause disease or cause autism.

Is there anyone here who thinks that vaccines cause harm, or that they don't provide protection? Do you have any evidence to support your beliefs?
Good topic Kylie :)
Peoples opinions dont mean anything for things like this - only facts. Ive put a systematic review (SR) conducted in the USA. An SR is a collation of all research conducted on the topic.
Outcome: No evidence of autism or disease with vaccines...quite the contrary.

Margaret A. Maglione, Lopamudra Das, Laura Raaen, Alexandria Smith, Ramya Chari, Sydne Newberry, Roberta Shanman, Tanja Perry, Matthew Bidwell Goetz, Courtney Gidengil (2014).

Safety of Vaccines Used for Routine Immunization of US Children: A Systematic Review.
Pediatrics
August 2014, VOLUME 134 / ISSUE 2.

• Informative
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Anti-vaxxers are infamous, for doing research online, and finding what they think is evidence, that suits their position. They tend to favour sites like Mercola, Facebook, blogs from chiropractors, mommy blogs, Vaccine Choice Canada, YouTube, for their information. Misinformation, the majority of the time, actually. This is a post, that stands out from last year, about such behaviour: http://www.christianforums.com/thre...i-vaccine-views.7863948/page-16#post-67132233

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
A lot of people think that vaccines don't protect against disease, or that vaccines cause disease or cause autism.

Is there anyone here who thinks that vaccines cause harm, or that they don't provide protection? Do you have any evidence to support your beliefs?

For most people, they are perfectly safe and provide a high level of immunity against the disease they are for. But that said, there are people who can be damaged by vaccines (I think autism risk is pretty low on the potential problems) and the fact is that you won't know that you will have a problem until you give them to a person. I have issue with filling up very young bodies with multiple vaccines so even if they did have a reaction, there is no way to know which one it actually was. I vaccinated my kids...but one vaccine at a time and not when they were tiny unless there was a significant risk of them actually getting the disease (so aTdap & HIB - yes....polio - no).

Proof that they can damage a child...it is call the Nation Vaccine Injury Compensation Program where the gov't pays the families of kids who have been proven to injured by a vaccine ( https://www.federalregister.gov/doc.../national-vaccine-injury-compensation-program ). And no vaccine is ever listed at 100% effective....so no, they don't always work.

I am a nurse and am vaccinated up to my eyeballs because I am exposed on a regular basis to lots of crap and can't refuse to care for a patient. I most likely have a lot of natural immunity for plenty of things that don't have vaccines just from exposure at work (so a sort of natural immunization).

Out of curiosity, have you had your adult boosters for hep B and aTdap...because these turn out not to be life time immunity from your school days. And have you gotten your adult vaccines like flu (annual), pneumonia (every 5 years), and shingles vaccines?

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
And if you want to know what the risks are for each vaccine, simply read the vaccine information sheet they give you at the time you are vaccinate...it lists the known risks in plain English (or many other languages too...I know I have printed the HepB sheet in Arabic for a patient).

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not quite sure what you are saying...

A nerd joke. In reference to god Nurgle of the Chaos pantheon from the Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar tabletop wargames; the god of death, decay, morbidity, disease and physical corruption. And a surprisingly caring deity (in a horrible way).

• Informative
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Proof that they can damage a child...it is call the Nation Vaccine Injury Compensation Program where the gov't pays the families of kids who have been proven to injured by a vaccine ( https://www.federalregister.gov/doc.../national-vaccine-injury-compensation-program ). And no vaccine is ever listed at 100% effective....so no, they don't always work.

Of course, far all medications efficacy is never 100%, and adverse reactions will occur. The issue is the risk/benefit ratio. For the recommended vaccines, the evidence is very strong that the benefits vastly outweigh the risks.

It floors me when I hear the crackpot drivel about vaccines being a conspiracy by manufacturers and government to damage our health. Immunization is a way of life in the military. If the government knows vaccines are harmful, why on earth would they risk impairing the performance of soldiers?

Out of curiosity, have you had your adult boosters for hep B and aTdap...because these turn out not to be life time immunity from your school days. And have you gotten your adult vaccines like flu (annual), pneumonia (every 5 years), and shingles vaccines?

I got the Hep B series in my 30s, when it was first released. I haven't had an HBAb titer done, but I've retired from practice, so my exposure risk is pretty low. But I get a flu shot every year, I got Zostavax, and Tdap, last year, and I just got Prevnar-13 a few months ago. I'll get Pneumovax next year. I'm not high-risk, so I shouldn't need any boosters.

The more controversial (and interesting) discussion is about Gardasil. The CDC just changed the recommendation. 11-12 year olds should now get 2 doses 6 months apart. Young people starting the series at ages 15-26 still need 3 doses. And boys should get it, too. What do you think?

• Agree
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Of course, far all medications efficacy is never 100%, and adverse reactions will occur. The issue is the risk/benefit ratio. For the recommended vaccines, the evidence is very strong that the benefits vastly outweigh the risks.

It floors me when I hear the crackpot drivel about vaccines being a conspiracy by manufacturers and government to damage our health. Immunization is a way of life in the military. If the government knows vaccines are harmful, why on earth would they risk impairing the performance of soldiers?

I got the Hep B series in my 30s, when it was first released. I haven't had an HBAb titer done, but I've retired from practice, so my exposure risk is pretty low. But I get a flu shot every year, I got Zostavax, and Tdap, last year, and I just got Prevnar-13 a few months ago. I'll get Pneumovax next year. I'm not high-risk, so I shouldn't need any boosters.

The more controversial (and interesting) discussion is about Gardasil. The CDC just changed the recommendation. 11-12 year olds should now get 2 doses 6 months apart. Young people starting the series at ages 15-26 still need 3 doses. And boys should get it, too. What do you think?

I personally think that boys should get it as well as girls because boys eventually have sex with girls in most cases.. I am a bit torn about his one. Both my kids (girl & boy) got it because their pediatrician felt strongly about this one and I had worked out a deal that she wouldn't push any but I would listen if she felt any particular one was important. My kids were between the two ages listed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums