Prescott, Az
✟38,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
1 Peter 2:19. For this is commendable, if because of conscience toward God one endures grief from suffering undeservedly.

To maintain a clear conscience before God and man, believers must forfeit their right to answer back against false words. Like Christ, we must remain silent against their allegations.

Isaiah 53:7. He was oppressed and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth:he was brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before shearers is dumb, so he opened not his mouth.

The shed blood of Jesus Christ is conscience cleansing, to give us boldness in our relationship with Our Heavenly Father.

Hebrews 9:14. How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Hebrews 10:22. So let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and body washed with pure water.

1 Peter 3:21. Baptism now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an answer of a good conscience to God through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Religiot

Mar 15, 2020
Private
✟29,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Peter 2:19. For this is commendable, if because of conscience toward God one endures grief from suffering undeservedly.

To maintain a clear conscience before God and man, believers must forfeit their right to answer back against false words. Like Christ, we must remain silent against their allegations.

Isaiah 53:7. He was oppressed and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth:he was brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before shearers is dumb, so he opened not his mouth.

The shed blood of Jesus Christ is conscience cleansing, to give us boldness in our relationship with Our Heavenly Father.

Hebrews 9:14. How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Hebrews 10:22. So let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and body washed with pure water.

1 Peter 3:21. Baptism now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an answer of a good conscience to God through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
I'm sorry, brother, but here we disagree.

We are required to contend for the faith.

Brother, remember, that Christ ceased to defend Himself, only after being arrested.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I am all for contending for the faith. We contend for the faith by upholding Truth against heresies that continue to arise, especially in this contemporary, media driven society.
On a personal level, there are those who will oppose you and make themselves an enemy
for no other reason than you are a Christian.
There is no need to be defensive in response to bogus allegations against you.
I have endured this many times, and the Lord settled the matter.
You can fight, or you can pray.
Romans 8:33. Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies.
1 Peter 4:14. If you are reviled for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I agreed with everything but your last sentence...(which I moved to the end of your post)
We don't need to endure false accusations without defense.
I am reminded of 1 Peter 3:15..."But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:"
While that scripture isn't mentioning "defense from false accusations", it is authorizing us to make our position known to the unbelievers.

Jesus tells us...
"18 And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles.
19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.
20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.(Matt 10:18-20)
This is directed more to attacks against our faith or religion, but if we can defend ourselves there, why not against other false accusations?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Your point is well taken. The key point to what you quote 'for a testimony against them and the Gentiles.'
The Holy Spirit will give you words that they cannot oppose.
Luke 21:15. For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict.
As Religiot mentioned earlier, we contend for the faith.
My statement is dealing with attacks of a personal nature. False accusations that are an attempt to discredit you. You do not need to engage in public spats that makes you seem petty, when before the accusation, you were totally innocent. We refer to this as:
'taking the high road'. If you resist the temptation to defend yourself,
the Lord will exonerate you, and there will be no trouble for you.
Worst case has been when prominent representatives of Christ have engaged in public disagreements, including bringing lawsuits, against the advice of scripture.
1 Co. 6:7. Now therefore, it is already an utter failure for you that you go to law against one another. Why do you not rather accept wrong? Why do you not rather let yourselves be cheated?
Consider this:
Matthew 10:25. It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more will they call those of his household!
And to what does the Lord make reference here? Jesus was accused of casting out demons by the prince of demons, or Beelzebub.
Matthew 12:27. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.
So is Jesus defending Himself, the son of Man, or the Holy Spirit? Even here there is an expression of Love, in warning us of the consequences of presumptuous speaking.

Here is one of several 'double blessings'.
Matthew 5:10-12. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

When we endure false allegations, our flesh is persecuted, as our pride is affronted. We want to lash out!
1 Peter 4:1. Forasmuch then as Christ has suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin.

We like to say 'this is day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!'
Can we say this under the pressure of false allegations?

I truly appreciate you requiring me to be most specific in regard to what I teach!
You direct us to such an important teaching in 1 Peter 3:15, to sanctify the Lord God in your heart.
You are correct to see the opportunity to give a reason (logos) for the hope in you.
You seize the opportunity to give your testimony!
For we overcome by the word(logos) of our testimony. Rev. 12:11.
Peter is repeating was he was taught by the Lord in Luke 21:13.
But it will turn out for you as an occasion for testimony.
Stay faithful, unto death! Rev 2:10.

Upvote 0