Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For those of us who are new since the last time the Cafe was bumped, it has the [Open] tags, meaning it is open for non-Christians to post. Occasionally, TAW members will invite people from the open areas of CF, like "Questions from non-Christians", here to chat or ask us about our faith.

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Today's special: Minestrone and lots of it! Why did I decide to make a double batch when I'm out of things to freeze the extra?!?!
Minestrone-Soup.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kamikat

Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My mouth is watering... How did you know that homemade sourdough is my favorite?

Forgive me...

Did you know that it's everyone's favorite :D Last week (or was it the week before), when I told some friends that I was making my first sourdough starter, I suddenly had a ton of people asking me to some starter. I ended up giving some to about 4 people. It has become nearly an obsession to get it right, but the family is loving all the attempts!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kamikat

Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK - so tell me - what's special about it ?

Never had any - so come on

EDUCATE ME

Have you never had sourdough bread? It has a wonderful tang and the texture is quite firm and airy, a bit like good french bread. The starter is equal parts flour and water, with a bit of dry yeast. This mixture is then left in a warmish spot for 7-10days to ferment. Then, when you make the bread, you take some of the starter and mix in enough flour to make a firm dough. I've been told it's an art, to get the starter to grow enough natural yeast to make the bread rise. Then, you save some starter from the batch and continue to add flour and water (some recipes add some sugar to feed the yeast) so the starter continues to grow yeast. Each time you make bread and save a portion of starter, the starter gets stronger and the bread will have more sour flavor.

Upvote 0

kamikat

Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kami, you make me hungry...:)

You must be an excellent italian cook

Oh, thank you :blush: It comes from having multiple food allergies in the family. Everything has to be homemade. Plus, my mom, during the age of TV dinners and hamburger helper, refused to allow mixes of any kind in her house.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.